LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #676 of 1,901
Yeah, I had to dial down the 16K range using my DAP's in built EQ after listening to Garden of Eden by Nicolas Jaar. As someone mentioned earlier, it's those high pitched electronic noises that can really pierce the ear. The EQ helped a fair bit, though.

That's about the only "flaw" I feel personally with the S12 and it seems pretty correctable. Aside from that, they are pure listening nirvana. I've fallen asleep with them in my ears like a dozen times at this point lol.
Yeah for me. I tamped down around 10k and boosted the mids, sort of an inverted U. I've been listening a lot to Destroyer's newly released Labarynthitis, which features a lot of synth and effects with good drumming and guitars. Definitely showcases what the S12 does well for me.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #677 of 1,901
Like apparently many others, I bought the Tripowin Olina as well as the S12. I had the S12 first but was curious about the Olina, especially since I felt the S12 sometimes overpowered the mids. I liked the Olina but I always felt it was lacking a little something. I read that the S12 EQs well, and though I've never been a fan of using an EQ, I downloaded Wavelet and was amazed how I could dial in an ideal sound for me. Dialing down the lower treble region really clear things up for me. I think the Olina is fine, but if choosing between the two, I'd say the S12 is an easy choice if you're willing to play with an EQ.

Btw, I've been using them almost exclusively with the FIIO UTWS5.
same path for me, my daily go to drivers are olina and s12, until now i avoided equ but s12 equ so well that i am now always equing both, to tame the upper trebble of s12 that is on the bright side i boosted 30hz by a massive +8db instead of lowering 8khz or 16khz, this sub bass boost balances the trebble nicely and the slight sibillance is still present but less annoying, give it a try because it also add weight and meat to the notes that i find pleasant on olina and that is missing on s12 without equ

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #678 of 1,901
same path for me, my daily go to drivers are olina and s12, until now i avoided equ but s12 equ so well that i am now always equing both, to tame the upper trebble of s12 that is on the bright side i boosted 30hz by a massive +8db instead of lowering 8khz or 16khz, this sub bass boost balances the trebble nicely and the slight sibillance is still present but less annoying, give it a try because it also add weight and meat to the notes that i find pleasant on olina and that is missing on s12 without equ
Interesting, I'll try that. Yeah sound waves are canceling so this is tricky!

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #679 of 1,901
I ordered the S12 as I am loving the planar sound from Timeless and Tri I3 pro! I love Shuoers iems and broke out my EJO7's which I hadn't heard for awhile and it blew my mind, amazing iems! I hear so much more of the sound listening as if they were new.
I'll come back with updates, by the way I found them on Amazon/Hifigo for $142.00! They were $169 everywhere else I looked and I was prepared to pay that much but got a lucky break!

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #681 of 1,901
So I finally got an upgrade cable and I'm happy to inform that the AC ground noise that I was having with the stock cable is like 60% less now.
This Kinera Leyding cable is gorgeous btw, holy crap.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #682 of 1,901
So I finally got an upgrade cable and I'm happy to inform that the AC ground noise that I was having with the stock cable is like 80% less now.
This Kinera Leyding cable is gorgeous btw, holy crap.
can you reproduce it by just switching cables ? i tried different cables balanced and unbalanced, cable changed nothing, it does that with all my sensitive iems that have a metal shell so it is not specific to s12 but i am baffled to why they don't spray a non conductive film over the iem metal shell (nail polish works fine) , the only 2 fixes i found is 1/ to connect my source ground to plumbing when i am using an ac plug without the 3rd ground pin (all usb phone chargers have 2 pin ac plugs for example) or 2/ prevent s12 metal shell from touching my ear skin (using any electric insulator such as transparent scotch tape or food wrapping between iem case and my ear skin)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #683 of 1,901
can you reproduce it by just switching cables ? i tried different cables balanced and unbalanced, cable changed nothing, the only fix was to connect my source ground plug to plumbing when i was using an ac plug without the 3rd ground pin (all usb phone chargers have 2 pin ac plugs for example) or prevent the iem metal case from touching my ear skin (using any electric insulator such as transparent scotch tape or food wrapping between iem case and my ear skin)
I've AB'ed them for some time and the initial impression has faded. It is still better with the new cable, for sure, just a bit less so. Gotta test it for some time to see if I can deal with it.
And I just tried the food wrapping - it seem to cut the noise a little more, but I don't think it is worth it.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #684 of 1,901
Exciting times for Planars. HBB has compared the new Raptgo Hook with Letdshuoer S12 and the Timeless. I've A/B'd the S12 and Timeless and for my ears the S12 steals it with my library and sources, but the Timeless is great also so comparisons don't mean any negativity. There is something about Planars that no other type of driver can seemingly better. I can't afford to get the Raptgo Hook but I hope all you Planar fans will write your comments and let us know what this open back Planar IEM sounds like. Will there be a page for it....for Planar IEMs maybe? We need a Planar IEM thread. Heads up to both the Timeless and S12 and it seems the Raptgo Hook with Planar + Piezo is a bit special too. For a pure Planar the S12 is special.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #685 of 1,901
Just got my S12 and wow! they sound so transparent.
I would like to do some tip rolling beyond the stock tips. So about the Spinfit tips, which one would be ideal for the S12? Someone mentioned the Spinfit CP1025. Are the Spinfit narrow bore ?

For my liking I think tips that tame the highest peaks would be ideal for the S12. Not super held back, just tamed.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #686 of 1,901
Just got my S12 and wow! they sound so transparent.
I would like to do some tip rolling beyond the stock tips. So about the Spinfit tips, which one would be ideal for the S12? Someone mentioned the Spinfit CP1025. Are the Spinfit narrow bore ?

For my liking I think tips that tame the highest peaks would be ideal for the S12. Not super held back, just tamed.

I’m currently auditioning the CP100+ tips on my S12 set. Size ‘med’ in left, ‘small’ in right. Bores are relatively narrow, comfort is good (not excellent), and for freq response, tames the treble a bit, but not too much (ymmv). Better comfort that the CP145, but I don’t remember if I found my right ear canal smaller at that time. Better would be smaller increments in size; e.g., SednaEarFir Crystals or Xelastics, but bores are larger.

More so than the treble FR, I found the S12’s bass to be extremely sensitive to fit, which pushed comfort to the limits. My preference so far, SednaEarFit Xelastics, ‘ms’ in left ear, ‘s’ in right… but then, I find the S12 treble comfortable.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #688 of 1,901
I tried a few eartips with the S12, here are my impressions:
Azla xelastec (ML): best sounding, clean and dynamic, best texture and resolution, very good feat. Be sure to get the good size!
Spinfint CP100 : sounds good, better than CP145
Spinfit CP 1025 : sounds as good as Xelastec.
Spinfit CP 145 and Final type E : imo, loose a bit in resolution and texture, bloated bass, darker sound, loose clarity and air.
What type of CP 1025? there seems to be air pod model and wireless model. So you think CP 1025 sounds better than CP100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back