LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #151 of 1,901
Stocks are low for now folks, either act quick or wait

IMG_20220114_065440.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #152 of 1,901
Jan 14, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #154 of 1,901
So this morning I attached a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter to the Balanced 4.4mm cable I got with the S12 package to my LG V30. Any attached adapter forces the LG V30 or other LG phones with the Hi Res DAC into Hi Res mode. I listened to Tidal HiFi Streaming and Amazon Hi Res Streaming, and there seems to be plenty of juice to drive the Shuoer S12. On my HiBy R5, in particular, the 4.4mm balanced drives the S12 really well.....they seem suited to each other.
Here's what I found about the Quad DAC specifications:
  • Support for audio files with up to 32-bit audio at 384 kHz sample rate. For reference, CD quality audio is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.
  • SNR 122dB
  • 2Vrms output level (LG told us 1.934Vrms based on testing with the Sennheiser HD800)
  • 75-point volume adjustment
  • Support for DSD, MQA, ALAC, and many other audio file types.
  • Automatically scales power for low impedance (8ohm to 50ohm) versus high impedance (up to 600ohm) based on the headphones you plug in.
  • Left and right side balance controls
  • 0.001% THD
  • 1.7uV noise level
The Quad DAC exists in three possible modes. The first is off and you already know how off works. However, when the DAC is active, it’ll either be in low-impedance (up to 50 ohm) mode and high-impedance (up to 600ohm) mode.

I testes the Quad DAC with 2 different headphones.

1) HD558 (50Ω) triggers the high-impedance mode:
Screenshot_20220114-074724.png

2) Cheap set of Panasonic earphones triggers the low-impedance mode:
Screenshot_20220114-074706.png

With the S12 (Impedance: 16Ω), low-impendance mode would be triggered.
Soundwise, would it benefit from high-impedance mode using a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter or a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter?

Thanks again!

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #155 of 1,901
Here's what I found about the Quad DAC specifications:
  • Support for audio files with up to 32-bit audio at 384 kHz sample rate. For reference, CD quality audio is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz.
  • SNR 122dB
  • 2Vrms output level (LG told us 1.934Vrms based on testing with the Sennheiser HD800)
  • 75-point volume adjustment
  • Support for DSD, MQA, ALAC, and many other audio file types.
  • Automatically scales power for low impedance (8ohm to 50ohm) versus high impedance (up to 600ohm) based on the headphones you plug in.
  • Left and right side balance controls
  • 0.001% THD
  • 1.7uV noise level
The Quad DAC exists in three possible modes. The first is off and you already know how off works. However, when the DAC is active, it’ll either be in low-impedance (up to 50 ohm) mode and high-impedance (up to 600ohm) mode.

I testes the Quad DAC with 2 different headphones.

1) HD558 (50Ω) triggers the high-impedance mode:

2) Cheap set of Panasonic earphones triggers the low-impedance mode:

With the S12 (Impedance: 16Ω), low-impendance mode would be triggered.
Soundwise, would it benefit from high-impedance mode using a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter or a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter?

Thanks again!
With my V30, it does not sound that good with most of my IEMs because they are generally fairly low impedance and they need a boost. Many have found you can 'trick' the V30 DAC, by just adding an adapter or short adapter cable. The V30 then thinks it has a higher impedance earphone/headphone and shunts up the power. For my LG V30 I always use an adapter because I like the power boost. For a planar that is important. If you have a 3.5mm cable then as you say 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male, and if you have 4.4mm cable then 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #156 of 1,901
Stocks are low for now folks, either act quick or wait

IMG_20220114_065440.jpg
They really did a great job of capitalizing on the success of the Timeless. Perfect market timing.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #158 of 1,901
They really did a great job of capitalizing on the success of the Timeless. Perfect market timing.
As far as I know, this was already in the development before Timeless came out, it just happened that they sourced the same planar vendor. S12 was supposed to be called Soloist 2, but due to the large difference with the og Soloist, they decided to scrape "Soloist 2" and changed to S12. Don't quote me on this though. 🤷‍♂️

Just got the Soloist yesterday since I was curious why they were so rarely talked about or hyped when they first came out a few years ago:

P_20220113_204215_vHDR_Auto-01.jpeg

P_20220113_205415_vHDR_Auto-01.jpeg

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #159 of 1,901
you can still get the s12 for $129 until february 8th if you repost their s12 ad on facebook for at least 48h, to read details go to shuoer fb page, for an extra $49 you can also get their balanced dac with 3.5 SE and 2.5 bal but they refuse to tell what is the power output of this dac and you'll need to pay an extra $10 to get a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter. yesterday i got the s12 for $129 but i did not get their dac as it seems more practical to get a dac with 4.4mm and known power output ( for example the tempotec e44 for $70 )

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #160 of 1,901
As far as I know, this was already in the development before Timeless came out, it just happened that they sourced the same planar vendor. S12 was supposed to be called Soloist 2, but due to the large difference with the og Soloist, they decided to scrape "Soloist 2" and changed to S12. Don't quote me on this though. 🤷‍♂️

Just got the Soloist yesterday since I was curious why they were so rarely talked about or hyped when they first came out a few years ago:

P_20220113_204215_vHDR_Auto-01.jpeg
P_20220113_205415_vHDR_Auto-01.jpeg
And so your take on it? I also got soloist (long story short they send it to me by accident when returning my 07 so told me to keep it as can’t force me to pay postage to send back to them right :D) - not really my type ( I am a treblehead so Tape)…

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #161 of 1,901
Here we go:

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #162 of 1,901
And so your take on it? I also got soloist (long story short they send it to me by accident when returning my 07 so told me to keep it as can’t force me to pay postage to send back to them right :D) - not really my type ( I am a treblehead so Tape)…
Can’t guarantee since I would need to A/B test it with a lot of budget stuff haha. But one thing I can say right now, is for the price that it’s going for, GET S12. 😂

It’s not bad at all tbh, but I was also told that my ears are S tier ears that are not too picky in form or treble peak. But I’m sure that there are cheaper IEMs that can perform as well as Soloist, given that Soloist came out a few years back now.

I’ll state the obvious. Shuoer Soloist, while good, is massively overpriced due to its unique DD. I got it at a discount around $135, but the MSRP on LETSHUOER’s site is a whopping $209… On Linsoul it's about $155, still more expensive than S12's MSRP. While it’s DD is impressive in its own right, S12’s planar tech today basically excels in every aspect, and S12’s MSRP at the moment is $149.

Two days of using it, I really like the energy it brings in the high-mids. But, immediately A/Bing with S12, S12 still shines in so many aspects. So... yup.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #163 of 1,901
Got my S12's today (the ones with the white tips in the middle of my Timeless collection) . Nice kit, good cable. Very lightweight IEMs. The Timeless feels more substantial, though. Fit is very good and comfy, about the same for me as Timeless.

Out of the box, the sound quality is impressive. Very highly detailed, maybe more so than Timeless. To me, the bass is clearly not as good as Timeless, but I'll get a better judgment after some burn in time. Things seem a bit tilted towards the treble, but not overly so. Mids need a bit more beef to them for balance. Maybe that will also improve with time, we'll see.

For half the price of Timeless 30% less than the Timeless (although I got them for $129, the regular price is $149), I would say these are a no-brainer if you want to try planars. Good tuning as well. Color me impressed so far.

IMG_20220114_143733175.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #164 of 1,901
So I have been listening to the Shuoer S12 non stop for a few days. I'm getting some brain burn in and maybe some driver burn in. One thing I find that this IEM does so well is capture the 'atmospherics' of music. Recently I spent time with a couple of KZ's and although they were good they did not add the involvement and atmosphere of music. With the S12 I don't find any unusual peaks that take me away from complete involvement in what I am listening to. Just a simple track like Tom Petty's, Trip to Pirates Cove, beckons total immersion. Probably the Timeless does the same, judging from those who have commented on them. It seems that Planars have found their place in the IEM community for real now, particularly since the S12 and Timeless have brought fantastic bass to us. For me what the S12 does really well is to convey the sound not just of bass impact, but the nuances of drum skins and the sound of leather or whatever the drum skin is made of. That takes me back many moons when I had a very large pair of Tannoy Mercury speakers and a Musical Fidelity amp and a Dual turntable, in a basement room with no furnishings that would dampen the sound. The joy was the nuances and atmospherics of the music. The Shuoer S12 takes me back to those days of highly resolving nuanced bass and utter musical involvement.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #165 of 1,901
For me what the S12 does really well is to convey the sound not just of bass impact, but the nuances of drum skins and the sound of leather or whatever the drum skin is made of.
And there it is, YES, planars take all that texture and the living, breathing essence of the drums into your world. The IMR EDPs are pinnacle of that. The Timeless does it so well, and now it's being so well described by you here. Part of me wants to pull the trigger on S12 but I am so happy with my Timeless and have the latest iteration of the EDP in the Queue so I think I'll give them pass but I don't know, I may succumb by the time the sun goes down, I am a sucker for a good planar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back