Lets Talk Metal
Jul 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #10,681 of 29,687
I read in a review of Ashes Against the Grain, that Agalloch were the best American black metal band and one of the best heavy metal bands playing. I bought that album and then went through their back catalogue.

The way I see it, Agalloch are to black metal what Opeth are to death metal. Both have sort of transcended those genres to something else. In my book, Agalloch are essential metal listening. I think they are in a class of their own.

If you love Agalloch (like I do), then you will love this.

Alright, time to start a flame war....let's do it...

Ashes vs Mantle?

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10,682 of 29,687
Trying but can't for the life of me get in to Amon Amarth. And I type that as I listen to Coal Chamber, lol deal with it.

They're pretty much a favorite. I like the Viking/Power Metal themes but the heavy as **** sound vs Power Metal. It does it for me. That said, Coal Chamber's Shock the Monkey cover is baller...and Big Truck? Masterpiece.

I should probably give it a shot. Has the new DT held up for you after repeated listens? I remember you defended the album when it first came out. I took a pass on that one as well....two of my most consistent melodic heavy bands
confused.gif

I still like it. As stated...it's no Character (then again, no album touches Character in my book), but it's still a DT album.

I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way a bit is people expecting something new. Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquility are 2 of the best Metal bands out there. I'm 100% okay with MORE OF THE SAME because they still make excellent music. Not revoluionary, but still stellar stuff. As long as it's not a huge pitfall...I'll probably be okay with it.

I don't want the wheel reinvented. I just want a kickass new set of tires...and I think both their new albums are just that.

Also, I'm upset no one mentioned Twilight of the Thunder God. Easily my second favorite Amon Amarth album. Seriously good.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10,683 of 29,687
Jul 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #10,684 of 29,687
Quote:

Ashes vs Mantle?

That is a very tough decision - I'd consider both masterpieces as they are solid listens from beginning to end, despite being very different. My vote goes for The Mantle - more dark, cold and atmospheric, a bit more cohesive beginning to end, it takes you on a journey...and I feel it's more of a 'one of a kind' experience.  That said, I could easily say the same about all of their other releases, but there's something about the albums that incorporate more acoustic guitar that mesh with me for some reason...The White sounds like an epic postlude to The Mantle, I often listen to them in succession.  Conversely, Faustian Echoes is one of the most badass songs ever written, and easily one of their best releases...

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,685 of 29,687
Quote:
They're pretty much a favorite. I like the Viking/Power Metal themes but the heavy as **** sound vs Power Metal. It does it for me. That said, Coal Chamber's Shock the Monkey cover is baller...and Big Truck? Masterpiece.
I still like it. As stated...it's no Character (then again, no album touches Character in my book), but it's still a DT album.

I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way a bit is people expecting something new. Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquility are 2 of the best Metal bands out there. I'm 100% okay with MORE OF THE SAME because they still make excellent music. Not revoluionary, but still stellar stuff. As long as it's not a huge pitfall...I'll probably be okay with it.

I don't want the wheel reinvented. I just want a kickass new set of tires...and I think both their new albums are just that.

Also, I'm upset no one mentioned Twilight of the Thunder God. Easily my second favorite Amon Amarth album. Seriously good.

haha i agree that i like amon amarth, and it makes me happy that you like Deceiver of the Gods. But Twilight of the Thunder Gods was definitely not one of their cds that i enjoyed. I only liked WOoOS and now Deceiver of the Gods. The rest of their stuff is too slow. Though i guess its my fault that i started with WOoOS, which was so much different than any of their other stuff...though i will admit Twilight of the Thunder Gods grew on me quite a bit, but i never really liked it that much

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #10,686 of 29,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I see it, Agalloch are to black metal what Opeth are to death metal. Both have sort of transcended those genres to something else. In my book, Agalloch are essential metal listening. I think they are in a class of their own.

I agree, they're doing their own thing now. I consider it post metal, but it's a pretty even mix of that and BM. Opeth sounds similar to a lot of other bands, but maybe that's just because they keep getting copied... I guess they were the first to bring in that particular type of super clean prog rock mixed with death metal.

Quote:

Ashes vs Mantle?

Hmm, I love Agalloch but wasn't a fan of that one.

Ashes = Mantle!

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #10,687 of 29,687
haha i agree that i like amon amarth, and it makes me happy that you like Deceiver of the Gods. But Twilight of the Thunder Gods was definitely not one of their cds that i enjoyed. I only liked WOoOS and now Deceiver of the Gods. The rest of their stuff is too slow. Though i guess its my fault that i started with WOoOS, which was so much different than any of their other stuff...though i will admit Twilight of the Thunder Gods grew on me quite a bit, but i never really liked it that much

Twilight of the Thunder God (song) is super Thrashy. Complete with ridiculous solo. I usually hate that kind of thing but man I love it here. Heard about half the album again via Pandora today and remembered how good it was (IMO). The video is Metal as **** too.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #10,688 of 29,687
So I picked a copy of Karnivools new Asymmetry.
I'd tell you how it sounds, but I couldn't resist the deluxe edition, so I'm watching the DVD right now.
I'll tell you how the album is later :p

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #10,691 of 29,687
Trogdor said:
Hmm, I love Agalloch but wasn't a fan of that one.

Really? They are an exact copy of Agalloch with a tad more focus on the neo-folk elements. I mean, really? :D

Ashes = Mantle!

Invalid, pick one. Keep'em coming folks...can't start a flame war with just two answers...

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #10,692 of 29,687
Ashes Vs Mantle...ooooh!

Sergeant Pepper's vs Revolver?  Wish You Were Here Vs. Dark Side?  Zeppelin 2 Vs Paranoid?

OK-I would have to say I have hit the repeat button more times for Mantle. Mantle has more of the neo folk vibe and is the least "metal" IMO of their output. And, I actually like some folk/rock on it's own merits.

Ashes has more of a post rock influence. Ashes also has those multi-part songs that need to be heard as one piece, while I think the individual songs on mantle hold up better in a playlist.

That said, I have a problem overplaying albums until I'm sick of them. In the 80's I did that with the big 4 thrash bands, in 90's I did that w/ bands like Soundgarden and Alice N Chains, now I have trouble hearing them.

I'm going to give the nod to Mantle....it's kind of a classic melding of styles in the same vein as Blackwater Park....both albums I've probably overplayed.

Then, again I don't ever need to hear Stairway to Heaven again. Ever. Ever.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #10,693 of 29,687
Quote:
Ashes Vs Mantle...ooooh!

Sergeant Pepper's vs Revolver?  Wish You Were Here Vs. Dark Side?  Zeppelin 2 Vs Paranoid?

OK-I would have to say I have hit the repeat button more times for Mantle. Mantle has more of the neo folk vibe and is the least "metal" IMO of their output. And, I actually like some folk/rock on it's own merits.

Ashes has more of a post rock influence. Ashes also has those multi-part songs that need to be heard as one piece, while I think the individual songs on mantle hold up better in a playlist.

That said, I have a problem overplaying albums until I'm sick of them. In the 80's I did that with the big 4 thrash bands, in 90's I did that w/ bands like Soundgarden and Alice N Chains, now I have trouble hearing them.

I'm going to give the nod to Mantle....it's kind of a classic melding of styles in the same vein as Blackwater Park....both albums I've probably overplayed.

Then, again I don't ever need to hear Stairway to Heaven again. Ever. Ever.

Agreed...The Mantle is definitely overplayed for me, the thing is I have yet to get sick of it...that's how I know it's one of my absolute favorites.  BTW, I'll be at the CAF today, probably around the Deja Vu room.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #10,695 of 29,687

I miss the old slipknot... I tried so hard to memorize the lyrics long time ago. This song can be played on a metal head's party. Everyone dancing woo hoo!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back