Lets Talk Metal
Jun 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #10,321 of 29,656
Quote:

So I got my DIY 2x15 bass cab/PA set up in my room next to my 15" tower speakers. Got a serious power amp for the cab as well. A lot of wiring to get them playing simultaneously but holy hell it was worth it. Just had the time of my life for like 10 minutes, quite clear for how loud it was and my room was shaking like satan himself was trying to make his way in to headbang with me.  

So I remember you guys talking about Swans as being an incredible display of the power of bass, I think my rig is up to it now, so what album/song should I try first?
Edit: Also Lesbians Black Stygian is really great. Half way through right now haha.

WOOOHOOOO. I love playing loud music and annoying neighbours. I am absolutely sure I will loose hearing by the time I reach 30..

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #10,322 of 29,656
Quote:
WOOOHOOOO. I love playing loud music and annoying neighbours. I am absolutely sure I will loose hearing by the time I reach 30..

Haha, yeah, though I wear earplugs at most concerts and only listen to my set up for like 10 minutes or so.  Really is incredible though, wish you guys could hear it, how much air they move is damn impressive.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #10,323 of 29,656

So I got my DIY 2x15 bass cab/PA set up in my room next to my 15" tower speakers. Got a serious power amp for the cab as well. A lot of wiring to get them playing simultaneously but holy hell it was worth it. Just had the time of my life for like 10 minutes, quite clear for how loud it was and my room was shaking like satan himself was trying to make his way in to headbang with me.  

So I remember you guys talking about Swans as being an incredible display of the power of bass, I think my rig is up to it now, so what album/song should I try first?
Edit: Also Lesbians Black Stygian is really great. Half way through right now haha.

Over the years I have heard a ton of stereos with metal playing. One time I found myself listening to Led Zepellin on an 80k usd vinyl rig. Even though you could hear every butterfly wing flap of Bonzo's drums, it somehow was not rock.

It simply was not blue-collar enough. In the picture that stereo looks like the ultimate metal rig.

Congratulations.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #10,324 of 29,656
I have Still Life and Blackwater Park lying here (both legacy edition)
Is there a way to extract the 5.1 tracks and convert them to stereo without cutting away channels? I heard something about it, but Google isn't really helpful.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #10,325 of 29,656

Really warm and organic sounding Celtic atmospheric black metal with soaring melodies. Think Winterfylleth, Cnoc an Tursa, Alcest, Burzum. It's actually a one-man project but definitely doesn't sound like one. Pretty epic stuff! 

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #10,326 of 29,656
Quote:

Really warm and organic sounding Celtic atmospheric black metal with soaring melodies. Think Winterfylleth, Cnoc an Tursa, Alcest, Burzum. It's actually a one-man project but definitely doesn't sound like one. Pretty epic stuff! 

So far my favourite newcomer of this year :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #10,327 of 29,656

Just bought it from the Bandcamp page, gonna put this on the review list.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #10,328 of 29,656

Wow John, congrats.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #10,329 of 29,656

Is there a way to extract the 5.1 tracks and convert them to stereo without cutting away channels? I heard something about it, but Google isn't really helpful.

Yes, I have pulled the 5.1 mix from the Still Life also pulled the PCM Andy Sneep recorded live Damnation DVD.

I think the program was called DVD audio extractor. It was a couple of years ago. I will go into the Opeth thread I started here as it may mention the exact program. It was really easy and mixed the tracks down to a 16 bit 44.1 2 channel mix.

They sounded good. I just wanted to listen to em on an I-pod.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #10,330 of 29,656

Metal-Fi to the rescue?

Look at the -downXXX options.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #10,331 of 29,656
Thanks to both of you!

Everyone who is enjoying Arsaidhs super awesome debut should check out this lovely band:

http://skagos.bandcamp.com/album/anarchic

Their new album is at least on par with the Arsaidh one :)
Loving it!

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #10,332 of 29,656
Quote:
I'm 43, so I witnessed the birth of extreme metal.

Listened tonight to Repulsion and Terrorizer and they bring back such good memories of a golden period (IMHO)...pre-internet days of tape trading, fanzines and independent distros. The DIY ethos was so difficult (financially) in those days, and it was difficult(ish) to hear new good stuff (until your tape list was desirable enough).

I saw some great death metal bands in the late 80s/early 90s but, being in the UK was perhaps just a step behind the true roots.

Just wondering if anyone on here saw any of the "godfathers" live? Anyone see the early days of Repulsion, Terrorizer, Slaughter ("Strappado", not the hair metallers), Hellhammer, Mantas etc etc?

Alas, too young! First gigs I ever went to were local death metal bands in the early nineties (Altar, Pestilence, Sinister, Thanatos). It was until 1997 that I visited my first metal festival (Dynamo Open air) and saw bands like Cradle of Filth, Entombed, Samael, Testament and Type O Negative. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #10,335 of 29,656
Quote:

This this is what you are looking for:
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/
Haven't tried it but there stereo to binaural sounds quite good. You'll just need a vst wrapper, there are a few free ones, there is even one that works with Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back