Lets Talk Metal
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10,291 of 29,656
Quote:
G'day!

Nice track! Does this kind of music pair well with the HE-500?

I'd say so, I've actually been enjoying a good bit of similar stuff with the HE-500 since I got it a few weeks ago.  I've found it to be an excellent all-arounder for many genres, and improves with optimal amping.  Percussion and cymbals sound amazing (a requirement for me haha), and the lush mids really enhance the guitars attack and pretty much ANY vocal style sounds really nice.  It is relatively non-fatiguing so I can listen to more agressive stuff for extended periods and at higher volumes with no problem.  Plus it is very detailed, while at the same time being reasonably forgiving of lesser recording quality, so it's also not bad for 1st and 2nd wave black metal for example.  I feel like any more brightness would be overwhelming on something like Ulver's Nattens Madrigal, I can't imagine listening to that on any Grado...  I listened to Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel on vinyl for the first time this past weekend on these and melted into my chair...

Let's just say I'm very pleased 
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #10,292 of 29,656
Quote:
I've never actually heard The Faceless, but I know Evan is an incredible bassist from his solo work. His album comes out later this year and it sounds like it's going to be really good.

Quote:
Ohhh.. They are good. I was really impressed with their style in Autotheism but many people didn't like it.

First off yeah Evan is a ridiculously good bassist. But he was not in the band as of Planetary Duality, Autotheism is the album he is in, though he kept his bass fairly simple in it. But, that doesn't take away from the album at all, Autotheism is probably my favorite metal album of all time, right beside Carach Angren's Death Came Through A Phantom Ship. 
But yeah, can't wait for Evan's new album. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #10,293 of 29,656
Quote:
I'm new to this thread, so enjoy my first contribution!

Best new material I've heard in some time, been listening to it quite a bit the last month... 

Thanks a lot for this. Totally intrigued. Excellent riffs and a super original sound. Hooked! Need more! 

Found a cool new project by Dodheimsgard, Hexvessel and <Code> dudes. Really cool post punk with a '70ies occult vibe. Trog, check this out since you dig Pinkish Black. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #10,295 of 29,656
Quote:

Autotheism is the album he is in, though he kept his bass fairly simple in it.

I can't blame him for that. Complex bass parts get lost and muddied so easily in a metal mix... I'm gonna have to give them a listen soon.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #10,296 of 29,656
Quote:
Does anyone know how the vinyl version of Isis´ Panopticon sounds? I consider buying the 6th repress of the album and would be glad for some info.

I was also looking for a decent version of Katatonia´s Brave Murder Day and found this remastered vinyl from 2012: 
http://www.discogs.com/Katatonia-Brave-Murder-Day/release/4105834

Did anyone hear this one?

I have it, but I prefer my 2006 CD master (haven't heard the original). The guitars are less shrill and the bass is better defined. That said, it is "decent", if that's all you're looking for.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #10,297 of 29,656
Quote:
I do agree on leaving 30% of Metallica records out. A couple of years ago I did a re-listen of Master Of Puppets and I have to tell you......that album is amazing to hear again. imo. It took me awhile to warm up to The Black Album but at last I like it. I am a thrasher from the day. Purchased Master Of Puppets the week it came out on vinyl. We all had tape copies of Kill Em All. That is when Metallica was not mainstream but super cool and underground. Only a few metal-heads even knew of em before Master Of Puppets.

There was actually a time when Metal heads only listened to Metallica and Slayer. That is how ahead of the times those bands sounded in the mid-eighties.

True dat....I remember being introduced to Metallica in...oh, God, should I say.....1985! I bought Ride the Lightening....still my favorite and thought it was more akin to hardcore punk than metal. It's funny to think now, but at the time it seemed really gritty and underground........of course that was relative to AC/DC,  Dio and Motely Crue.......long time ago. I thought Slayer and King Diamond were scarifying virgins or something.  People forget, but typical kids were listening to Madonna, Prince and early rap. My Motorhead and Magedeth albums were for us knuckle draggers.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #10,298 of 29,656
Quote:
Found a cool new project by Dodheimsgard, Hexvessel and <Code> dudes. Really cool post punk with a '70ies occult vibe. Trog, check this out since you dig Pinkish Black. 

Their first record Dawnbearer is a mean sounding occult ritual. The second is more of a forest fairy dance party with more traditional rock stuff. IMO
Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about Hexvessel, didn't see the Beastmilk video at all :D

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #10,300 of 29,656
That has to be around 500€ Magnum opus style.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #10,301 of 29,656
Quote:

Best new material I've heard in some time, been listening to it quite a bit the last month... 

i have an EP from 2012, it's good but not great IMO...

but...this track is really cool and makes me interested again although i suspect it'll be awfully hard to find the new EP

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #10,302 of 29,656
Quote:

Hey modulor! I've seen you in the HE-500 and MD threads, good to see you here. Great share, as well, thanks for showing them to us.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #10,303 of 29,656
Quote:
HOLY ******* **** GUYS.

https://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic/posts/553576904699641:0

WOW.

Moonsorrow is up there in my top-3 bands.
But this is going to be TOO expensive :'(
Sucks to be me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back