Lets Talk Metal
Jun 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #10,231 of 29,656
Quote:
R
My favourite jazz metal is candiria, their old stuff is amazing

Thanks for the tip!

Everyone who like Cynic, also has to like Exivious. It's basically Cynic without vocals :p

Also check out this dudes!

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #10,232 of 29,656
Quote:
Virgin Black is great.  I have their first release Sombre Romantic which is an interesting mix of metal/goth/symphonic strings and operatic vocals. I would call it experimental, but a great pick up for metal fans looking for something out of the box.  A second album Elegant and Dying is supposed to be quite good-but I haven't heard it. Somre Romantic lacks the production values for what follows (see below).

Things got really interesting in 2007/2008 when they decided to record a trilogy. I think they only completed the first two. The front man did some serious opera vocal training and they hired a full orchestra. The idea was three recordings going from completely classical/opera to full on metal. They completed the middle album which is supposed to be an even mix of classical and metal and the final chapter which is more metal. They haven't done (at least I haven't found it) the completely classical piece. And, I kind of think, why? Right-if you want a classical release-just go out and buy one. I mean, just throw on a Hans Zimmer soundtrack!

Per your Q about metal with classical-Requiem Mezzo Forte is OUTSTANDING. It truly is a metal opera. I would call it a minor masterpiece of metal and classical and opera. I just checked out Allmusic and their reviewer writes:

After four years of relative silence following a sophomore album menacingly named Elegant and Dying, many had assumed that Adelaide, Australia's Virgin Black had probably breathed their last; but the orchestral gothic metal project was in fact very much alive, and simply grappling with the challenge of composing a two-and-a-half-hour, three-part song cycle entitled Requiem.Nevertheless, Virgin Black fans will quickly discover that this first, 52-minute mid-section of what's surely to become the band's magnum opus, already feels like the fulfillment of their thus far nebulous musical destiny. In it, their "gothic metal with strings" template is effectively transformed into an altogether grander full-blown symphony with gothic metal elements, marked by predominantly orchestral movements such as the extravagant "Requiem, Kyrie," the sublime melancholy of "Midnight's Hymn," and the suitably suicidal epic "...And I Am Suffering.

My edits:

#1: I don't like the word "goth"  because it's loaded w/ negative connotations-moody, self indulgent teenagers walking malls with black eye liner,and piercings, etc. looking for attention. To my ears, it's more symphonic doomish. It took me  a few listens as the symphonic elements are pretty dominant. Most of the first song is orchestral which lead me to a What reaction initially. I remember thinking-how is this metal? But, the orchestration builds to these heavy crushing doom parts and then back to the symphony.  It has become one of my faves. For a symphonic metal release-this thing is amazing.

#2: As far as the Christian lyrics-I'm usually turned off. These are more thematic...not "give your life to Jesus" or anything. The lyrics have a medieval flavor-the suffering, sorrow, despair and pain of life, looking for answers to existential questions. At least-that's my take.  I have read that the band has a complicated relationship w/ Christianity. I think they used themes rather than dogma. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they grapple w/ the contradictions of organized religion as so many of us do/have......don't let that deter you-this comment offered from someone who is not at all affiliated with any religious organization-it's all mythology to me....but anyway....

Their follow up: Requiem foritissimo, is also really cool, but quite different. Gone for the most part are the operatic vocals. This is an old school doom/death album with a symphony backing up the band and it totally works, but as stated-more metal and less classical. The classical/orchestral and even group operatic elements come in as flourishes or highlights to basically a heavy doom death release. the guitar parts very thick and heavy the way I like my doom. The guitarist I believe is a woman w/  male vocalist a la Boris. Fortissimo is a marked contrast to Messo Forte and the two play nicely back to back-flow from classical/metal-mostly metal w/ death vocals which I  believe is the idea.

Final edit: I  like some classical, but do not like opera at all. I would never go out and purchase an operatic piece of music. If  I want classical music, it tends to be background instrumental. Yet, it works for me here. In addition to training w/ a vocal coach and hiring an orchestra, the band also hired professional opera singers-gorgeous female vocals in particular that are not a turn off to me-a non opera fan. Just beautiful music.

If you have bothered to read my post and are not familiar with Virgin Black, you probably get the idea that this is not traditional metal. Don't think Nightwish, even Therion (BTW, Therion's Lemuria A and B would be another great pick for fusing classical and metal-but more traditional). These two albums have good production, but are definitely an "off the beaten track" choice.

I think they are amazing-but I'm always looking for something different. I categorize them w/ other unusual choices like Sigh, Stolen Babies, Unexpect-all very different but all experimental in their own way.

Cheers.

Hey thanks a ton for the really in depth recommendation, really enjoying Requiem Fortissimo. Not a fan of Opera either really but am really into classical(mostly Beethoven, he was like the BM of his time). But Virgin Breath pulls it of really well, going to listen through all there stuff an probably make a purchase soon, haven't heard of Therion either(haven't been here long). Try them out later.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #10,233 of 29,656
Quote:
Interesting!
But still....the only Thrash bands I really like, are Vektor

And Revocation

I like my music prog-ish :3

Really? You don't like this?

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #10,235 of 29,656
Quote:
Hey thanks a ton for the really in depth recommendation, really enjoying Requiem Fortissimo. Not a fan of Opera either really but am really into classical(mostly Beethoven, he was like the BM of his time). But Virgin Breath pulls it of really well, going to listen through all there stuff an probably make a purchase soon, haven't heard of Therion either(haven't been here long). Try them out later.

Cool-glad you like Virgin black...Therion has a pretty big back catalogue. A lot of mythology and old occult rituals and stuff....pretty out there. Lemuria was a double album and I think it's their best. Secret of the Runes is also good-Norse mythology.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #10,237 of 29,656
Everyone who like Cynic, also has to like Exivious. It's basically Cynic without vocals :p

Well, no wonder Paul took Tymon (the guitarist) and the bassist (whose name sadly escapes me) to Cynic for Traced In Air and the EPs. :)

And since we're talking about that, I cannot express how awesome Ephel Duath are (if you can get over the metalcore'ish harsh vocals)
I'll just quote myself from another thread:

Or, if you would like something lighter from the band, check the instrumental. One of my favourite ever!

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10,238 of 29,656
Heads up guys. Blood Music is already reporting low numbers of the 'Portal of I' vinyl due to lots if member early preorders. Better be F5ing cone tine tomorrow.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #10,239 of 29,656
Quote:
Heads up guys. Blood Music is already reporting low numbers of the 'Portal of I' vinyl due to lots if member early preorders. Better be F5ing cone tine tomorrow.

:'(
I bought their demo back when they released it for the first time!
I should get a super-awesome-fan bonus....

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #10,240 of 29,656
Quote:

I wish they would have offered an unlimited preorder... I might not get to it since I won't be able to order until a few hours after it goes on sale.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #10,241 of 29,656
Maybe there are people in here who care about it (I really don't)

New Born Of Osiris song:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back