Lets Talk Metal
May 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #9,631 of 29,656
Hey Guys,

The new dillinger album is streaming on everyones favorite music review website, Pitchfork:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/108-one-of-us-is-the-killer/

May 13, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #9,634 of 29,656
Quote:
I try, I try, I really try, but they just do ZERO for me. I mean ZERO. Mathcore isn't my bag baby! :)

Mathcore is my bag. But not matter how I try, Dillenger does nothing for me as well. Ill try this new album now. Maybe it'll be better than their old stuff.
Edit: Yup tried it. Instruments were good, but they need to get rid of the vocalist. Instrumental only would be great. But I guess a better vocalist might fix it. And a different vocal style overall.

May 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9,635 of 29,656
Mathcore is my bag. But not matter how I try, Dillenger does nothing for me as well. Ill try this new album now. Maybe it'll be better than their old stuff.
Edit: Yup tried it. Instruments were good, but they need to get rid of the vocalist. Instrumental only would be great. But I guess a better vocalist might fix it. And a different vocal style overall.

The vocalist just kills it for me. I know Big Ben is very talented. But their vocalist, sheesh...

May 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #9,636 of 29,656
So I'm in the process of listening to new stuff. I have to say the new Monolith Deathcult album is truly amazing. Completely great. A little cinematic as well as top ten drumming. OMG the drums!

May 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #9,637 of 29,656
Quote:
Glad I found something to post. Lol

heroina cocaina lobo marica china marica lobo cannibal.. Hahahahaha. The drummer is awesome... 

May 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #9,638 of 29,656
heroina cocaina lobo marica china marica lobo cannibal.. Hahahahaha. The drummer is awesome... 

For Grindcore it's pretty well recorded. Better than that you-tube video. Maybe 5% of the time I play Grind, still it's always funny and refreshing. There is always the "What" element in it that is missing from the other aspects of the genre metal.

May 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #9,639 of 29,656
Quote:
The Projector on BOB is probably just the CD master. I've passed on it multiple times because Haven and Damage Done are mediocre from the same series.

As for Character...Been trying to get that one for ages. Probably my #1 MDM album ever.

Ok thanks, so you would recommend getting the original vinyl of Projector? This should be the best sounding version of the album right?

Quote:
admittedly I have the Left Hand Path FDR but am hesitant to open it

If you should open it, please say something about the sound of that version as I´m also hesitant to buy it. The original ist just really expensive and I´m not sure whether to spend so much money on a single LP.

Btw does anybody have a vinyl copy of Character by DT? I´m really curious how it sounds compared to the CD as this one sounds a little too compressed and aggressive in some places.

May 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #9,640 of 29,656
Ok thanks, so you would recommend getting the original vinyl of Projector? This should be the best sounding version of the album right?

If you should open it, please say something about the sound of that version as I´m also hesitant to buy it. The original ist just really expensive and I´m not sure whether to spend so much money on a single LP.

Btw does anybody have a vinyl copy of Character by DT? I´m really curious how it sounds compared to the CD as this one sounds a little too compressed and aggressive in some places.

I don't know (I have tried to do some research on your behalf), but I will say this...

The album came out in 2005. The CD is pretty much a brickwalled DR6. From what I gather (someone please correct me) but Century Media typically uses the same master for both so I sincerely doubt its much different (I could very well be wrong but this has just been my experience).

The latest one is mastered by Jens Bogren so I suspect it should sound stellar but a bit compressed (kinda like what Swano does, modern, not *ideal,* but sounds great).

May 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #9,641 of 29,656
I trust Earache and their FDR campaign, there was this vinyl rip of Realms Of Chaos and it sounded great. Go ahead and buy it because even if it sounded sub-par Left Hand Path is mandatory metal

Quote:

May 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #9,642 of 29,656
Quote:
I don't know (I have tried to do some research on your behalf), but I will say this...

The album came out in 2005. The CD is pretty much a brickwalled DR6. From what I gather (someone please correct me) but Century Media typically uses the same master for both so I sincerely doubt its much different (I could very well be wrong but this has just been my experience).

The latest one is mastered by Jens Bogren so I suspect it should sound stellar but a bit compressed (kinda like what Swano does, modern, not *ideal,* but sounds great).

Thanks for the reply :) I also assume there won´t be much of a difference which is sad :frowning2: But I´m generally looking for some great sounding metal releases (especially vinyl) but the thing that bothers me is that many of the reissues/ reprints of older vinyl records seem to sound worse than the originals. And those are often times way more expensive. For exaple recent reissues from Earache appear to based on the CD master and not the original master tapes. So I find myself constantly struggling to decide which version to get. Am I right about the fact that most of the modern reprints of older albums sound worse or did I just have bad luck recently?

Can some of you guys recommend me some great sounding metal albums on vinyl? I´m especially looking for Melo-Death, Prog Metal and Heavy Metal releases. What are your favorite albums on vinyl, sound and musicwise? Any kind of recommendations would be apprciated :)

May 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #9,643 of 29,656
Thanks for the reply :) I also assume there won´t be much of a difference which is sad :frowning2: But I´m generally looking for some great sounding metal releases (especially vinyl) but the thing that bothers me is that many of the reissues/ reprints of older vinyl records seem to sound worse than the originals. And those are often times way more expensive. For exaple recent reissues from Earache appear to based on the CD master and not the original master tapes. So I find myself constantly struggling to decide which version to get. Am I right about the fact that most of the modern reprints of older albums sound worse or did I just have bad luck recently?

Not true at all.

Earaches recent releases are sourced directly from the original analog tapes.

Please read this interview with on Metal-fi regarding how the FDR releases are made.

May 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9,644 of 29,656
Quote:
Not true at all.

Earaches recent releases are sourced directly from the original analog tapes.

Please read this interview with on Metal-fi regarding how the FDR releases are made.

Thanks for reminding me, I wanted to read that interview last week :)

The reason I´m a little bit suspicious about this are discussions like this:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/earache-records-vinyl-reissues-simply-come-from-the-cd.287878/

I think it just depends on each album and whether there are Master tapes available. I try to get as much information about a release before buying it though :)

May 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #9,645 of 29,656
Quote:
I trust Earache and their FDR campaign, there was this vinyl rip of Realms Of Chaos and it sounded great. Go ahead and buy it because even if it sounded sub-par Left Hand Path is mandatory metal

You see, this is the reason I roam this particular thread. I've never heard Entombed before, but so far (on the second track now) Left Hand Path sounds awesome. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back