Lets Talk Metal
May 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #9,571 of 29,656
Absolutely. If he tries to hand us anything lower it shall be sent straight back.
So what'd you think of the song though? Honest opinions are welcome. Does it sound incredibly core?

Some of the timings on things like the cymbals and the xylophone are a bit off, but I notice that with tons of bands (even big name ones from time to time). My biggest gripe would be the breakdowns, but as you've said, that isn't something that you can phase out just yet. The guitarist's sound is pretty nice, but it is hard to tell how well it fits into the song without the vocals. Be sure to keep us up to date on everything.

May 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #9,572 of 29,656
Gave Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu a spin today. Man, what a great album. And I usually can't stand brutal death.

May 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #9,573 of 29,656
Quote:
Gave Puteraeon - Cult Cthulhu a spin today. Man, what a great album. And I usually can't stand brutal death.

Yeah the balancing act between death metal being brutal and being obnoxious is slim.

Take this for example:

couldn't take 10 seconds

May 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #9,576 of 29,656
Quote:
Yeah the balancing act between death metal being brutal and being obnoxious is slim.

Take this for example:

couldn't take 10 seconds

Ugh, I've noticed. Sulphur Aeon is the only other one I can take, which also happens to include the word aeon and be about Cthulhu, interestingly enough.

May 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #9,577 of 29,656
Quote:
Just got through the first spin on the All That Remains RSD LP. Forgot how good this album really is (Core or otherwise).

That opening track is beautiful, and of course...Six.

Also, it's supposedly still the same master but this vinyl gets quite a bit higher on my volume knob than a lot of stuff I own. Was the CD this quiet. too?

EDIT: Funny, The first song on both sides are my favorites.

The cd isnt that quiet, i noticed that i thought it sounded a bit better than my cd as well. Though i didnt do any extensive a-b testing or anything. Though that might also just be because my turntable rig is considerably higher end than my digital setup is.

Also, i got my copy of the new Svart Crown CD today, Profane, and man is it alot better than Witnessing the Fall was. Though i do wonder why they dont have an LP for Profane yet...

Thats another thing, now that i have the turntable, I've been preordering/buying CDs and LPs for everything, which just costs me a ton more money -_-

May 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #9,578 of 29,656
Quote:
Some of the timings on things like the cymbals and the xylophone are a bit off, but I notice that with tons of bands (even big name ones from time to time). My biggest gripe would be the breakdowns, but as you've said, that isn't something that you can phase out just yet. The guitarist's sound is pretty nice, but it is hard to tell how well it fits into the song without the vocals. Be sure to keep us up to date on everything.

Oh yeah like I said recording is raw. Things are usually aligned to the millisecond in post. Yeah, Ill post it when we get vocals on.

May 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #9,579 of 29,656
The cd isnt that quiet, i noticed that i thought it sounded a bit better than my cd as well. Though i didnt do any extensive a-b testing or anything. Though that might also just be because my turntable rig is considerably higher end than my digital setup is.

Also, i got my copy of the new Svart Crown CD today, Profane, and man is it alot better than Witnessing the Fall was. Though i do wonder why they dont have an LP for Profane yet...

Thats another thing, now that i have the turntable, I've been preordering/buying CDs and LPs for everything, which just costs me a ton more money -_-

The issue is master vs collectible.

If you are just collecting than yeah, get the LP. I actually wound up doing that for Vertikal - I did pick up the last copy the store had on RSD.

But if you want the best master, then the answer is fuzzier.

Most of the time, I would tell you to just get the CD. Despite my love for the analog, LPs come with a lot of inherit format drawbacks and the overwhelming majority of time (at least for the *big* releases), the LP is just the Redbook master on vinyl.

Is that always bad?

NO not at all. A well done Redbook master can be pressed to vinyl with almost little change. In this case, its personal taste and quality of playback gear that really determine what format you want (if you invested heavily in a TT, go with the LP, if you are like me and listen to 100% of your collection through a digital medium (LPs would be needle drops), buy the CD).

Here is another data point:

I was at the New York Audio Show (representing Metal-Fi.com and doing a bit research on what Dave and I are going to cover on our site) and I went to the Rob Roberson Pure Vinyl talk and he said something very interesting. This guy has tons of wax and has been ripping vinyl for YEARS. I mean it sounded like he has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in his hobby (between his company, gear, etc. etc.).

They were asking him about DSD since a lot of the vinyl folks seem to gravitate toward DSD files thinking that its more truer to representing the wave form. He said NO. He said modern LPCM DACs sound a lot better to his ears. If you can find a well mastered LPCM version of the music you want to listen to, go with that. I THOUGHT that was a big statement from a guy who has invested a lot of his personal and professional time in vinyl.

Now for a personal rant (this should all probably go on MFi but):

The problem I see with a lot of vinyl junkies is that they fall in love with the medium instead of the music. Wax, CDs, MP3s, they are all means to an end - to maximize your listening experience. It really is all about the music. I don't care about formats that much. I really think that is where Dave and I differ from the average audiophile or vinyl-junkie you see on a plethora of websites. We don't care what format a particular album comes in, we just want the one that sounds the best - whatever that is - it could be cassette for all we care (it never is thankfully).

Bottom line: Don't fall in love with formats, they come and go as technology improves. Fall in love with the music.

May 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #9,580 of 29,656
I wonder though if you consider falling in love with the big art and liners part of the format though. That's one of my favorite parts about vinyl.

Also (especially in the Metal world) there are a lot of CD master to vinyl, but there are also a lot of them that do put that effort in. I've noticed more and more lately.

May 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #9,581 of 29,656
I wonder though if you consider falling in love with the big art and liners part of the format though. That's one of my favorite parts about vinyl.

Definitely. But is that really about the music? I would say no it is not.

Also (especially in the Metal world) there are a lot of CD master to vinyl, but there are also a lot of them that do put that effort in. I've noticed more and more lately.

ABSOLUTELY, that is why Metal-Fi exists (amongst other reasons).

May 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #9,582 of 29,656
Definitely. But is that really about the music? I would say no it is not.
ABSOLUTELY, that is why Metal-Fi exists (amongst other reasons).

I dun no. I posted about this a bit elsewhere recently and while it might not be about the music directly...since getting into vinyl I feel closer to my collection than I ever did with CDs.

The size, the feel, the ritual. It feels more special when I can watch the record spin.

So it might not be inherently better when it comes to the masters, but it feels more special to me and I feel like I 'experience' the music more with vinyl.

May 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #9,583 of 29,656
Have you guys seen Monolith Deathcult's new album? It's streaming in its entirety at Metalsucks. Just a solid titanium piece of industrial-tinged death metal. They honestly do nothing wrong, these folks just know how to write well. They crushed when Triumvirate came out, but it looks like their game is still fresh here. For fans of Project Hate MCMXCIX and the like. Oh, and they don't take themselves too seriously.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/05/02/exclusive-full-album-stream-the-monolith-deathcults-tetragrammaton/

May 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #9,584 of 29,656
Quote:
I just reviewed it and its great. Head over the Hells Headbanger to listen to the official stream and DEFINITELY pick this up! Seriously, well worth it.

My review with proper links.

Did anyone notice the incredible sound of the toms on this recording? 

Oh btw, check out this band with my friend Ché (Born From Pain, Herder, Arma Gathas) on vocals. Gojira fans might dig this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back