Lets Talk Metal
Mar 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #9,017 of 29,653
I'll probably end up with it either way considering I have no way to play digital files right now. Good album either way. Sure is a shame they ruined it with a CD master.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #9,018 of 29,653
Quote:

I got off the In Flames bus after Clayman. Unfortunately a lot of melodic death metal is really stale these days, the metalcore guys kind of stole the Gothenburg sound and ruined it, and then a lot of MDM bands went "hey those metalcore guys are selling records, let's sound more like them!" That lead to so called "modern" melodeath, aka CRAP.

There are still a lot of melodic bands doing good work though: Omnium Gatherum, Be'lakor, Allegaeon, Suidakra, etc. The Swedes definitely need to get their act together, though.

Clayman is in my opinion their best work, and one of the best metal albums I know. I did like Reroute to Remain (trigger, cloud connected, free fall and metaphor in particular), and I've found that Sounds of a Playground Fading wasn't that terrible either. A hellova lot better than Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose in any case.

I haven't heard of any of the bands you listed as "melodic bands doing good work", and I really look forward to giving all of them a listen after I get back home from the easter holidays! I just love how the people on here are so willing to give good music suggestions
o2smile.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #9,019 of 29,653
Quote:

Clayman is in my opinion their best work, and one of the best metal albums I know. I did like Reroute to Remain (trigger, cloud connected, free fall and metaphor in particular), and I've found that Sounds of a Playground Fading wasn't that terrible either. A hellova lot better than Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose in any case.

I haven't heard of any of the bands you listed as "melodic bands doing good work", and I really look forward to giving all of them a listen after I get back home from the easter holidays! I just love how the people on here are so willing to give good music suggestions
o2smile.gif

Check out Katatonia and In Mourning, too.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #9,020 of 29,653
Quote:
I'll probably end up with it either way considering I have no way to play digital files right now. Good album either way. Sure is a shame they ruined it with a CD master.

It sounds helluva good added with awesome, no worries.

Eternal Kingdom was the first double LP where I think on vinyl it had something extra or overall positive over a continuous CD. With those light interlude songs + disc flips it somehow tells a different story.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #9,022 of 29,653
You guys rag in me a lot in here for liking later In Flames. I think Colony is my favorite album after going through their discography again but Come Clarity is the album that got me into them. Still love it.

You have to pick and choose a bit on the rest but there's some great stuff (like My Sweet Shadow).

Whatever, I'll take Dark Tranquility over In Flames anyway anyway. Character is a masterpiece.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #9,025 of 29,653
So...I think I just made the best trip to the record store I've made in a long time...

Cult of Luna (These may have CD masters but they're also hand numbered and limited to 1000)
Sunn O))) - Oracle (This was on clear. Didn't know til I opened it)
Sunn O))) - Double O Void (Boring black but done in proper Souther Lord fashion with amazing packaging)
Earth - Angels of Darkness Demons of Light II (This wasn't there last time and this was the irresponsible purchase this time. Proper Southern Lord packaging, cut at 45rpm [!!], 3 sides (one is etched with kickass art, on red 180g vinyl)

And tomorrow the wife that hates Metal is in class all day...and I'm inviting her best friend who loves Metal over to hear the Harbeths for the first time. I think I might have a decent day tomorrow. :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #9,026 of 29,653
Quote:
Katatonia isn't really MDM though.

Really? What would you call it? Musically I've always considered them to be MDM with clean vocals, maybe with a little post metal influence.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9,027 of 29,653
Quote:
You guys rag in me a lot in here for liking later In Flames. I think Colony is my favorite album after going through their discography again but Come Clarity is the album that got me into them. Still love it.

You have to pick and choose a bit on the rest but there's some great stuff (like My Sweet Shadow).

Whatever, I'll take Dark Tranquility over In Flames anyway anyway. Character is a masterpiece.

Gotta say, I love me sone Dark Tranquility. I don't listen to tons of melodeath as I got on the DM train after the whole melo Swedish thing had sort  of come and went, but I think DT are really good. Amon Amarth are also a guilty pleasure. And, I thought Insomniums release in 2011 was pretty strong. I've only heard Jester Race as far as In Flames go. They didn't grab me like DT.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #9,028 of 29,653
I'm looking forward to going through DT's catalog again soon. I own Damage Done and Haven on vinyl and my favorite albums are Damage Done and Character.

Character was an album I bought on a whim used year and years ago from Half Price Books. It blew my mind and is still one of the albums that got me into Metal in general.

Quote:
Gotta say, I love me sone Dark Tranquility. I don't listen to tons of melodeath as I got on the DM train after the whole melo Swedish thing had sort  of come and went, but I think DT are really good. Amon Amarth are also a guilty pleasure. And, I thought Insomniums release in 2011 was pretty strong. I've only heard Jester Race as far as In Flames go. They didn't grab me like DT.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9,030 of 29,653
Quote:
So...I think I just made the best trip to the record store I've made in a long time...

Cult of Luna (These may have CD masters but they're also hand numbered and limited to 1000)
Sunn O))) - Oracle (This was on clear. Didn't know til I opened it)
Sunn O))) - Double O Void (Boring black but done in proper Souther Lord fashion with amazing packaging)
Earth - Angels of Darkness Demons of Light II (This wasn't there last time and this was the irresponsible purchase this time. Proper Southern Lord packaging, cut at 45rpm [!!], 3 sides (one is etched with kickass art, on red 180g vinyl)

And tomorrow the wife that hates Metal is in class all day...and I'm inviting her best friend who loves Metal over to hear the Harbeths for the first time. I think I might have a decent day tomorrow. :)

I fear I have turned into you MorbidToaster...i just ordered Dead End Kings and Night is the New Day by Kataonia, Vanitas by Anaal Nathrakh, With Oden On Our Side by Amon Amarth, and The Hunter on 2LP 45 by Mastodon...along with a few other non metal releases

Edit: Talked myself out of the vertikal LP though, Im not in the vinyl game for the sake of vinyl, Im in it for better masters. so ill stick with my CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back