Lets Talk Metal
Mar 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #8,731 of 29,661

Well...........it's out. At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm going to have to bring this release up again. Totally metal, totally fresh. A new take on a style once great. I can't stop listening to it. Is anybody else loving it?

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #8,733 of 29,661
Quote:

Well...........it's out. At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm going to have to bring this release up again. Totally metal, totally fresh. A new take on a style once great. I can't stop listening to it. Is anybody else loving it?

Some standout tracks, especially "Leave no cross unturned" and "Valkyrie". It's no classic though. It's basically very well done nostalgia. 80'ies worship. Still, I vastly prefer this over their crustier shenanigans. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #8,734 of 29,661
I am in a massive Keep of Kalessin mood lately. 

And for the peeps in here that don't like blastbeats (Hey you, we will never be friends.) here ya go:

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #8,735 of 29,661

Fantastic!

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #8,736 of 29,661
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8,737 of 29,661
Quote:

Good stuff, I still through on Angst every so often.

Killer Mother ******* Depeche Mode!

The album" What" that came out a year or two was great too!

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8,738 of 29,661
2x sorry

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #8,739 of 29,661
OK peops, I just picked up the new Darktrhone and Voivod largely based on comments in the forum. Next up will be the new CUL.

I've just listend to the first two DT tracks. I dig the sound...a pretty cool mix of things. I really haven't hard anything they've put out since their first few classics......Still kind of gritty and low fi with that retro 80's  style some of you mentioned  and some crusty soundng blackened vocals. I think this one will be a keeper. Haven't put on the Voivod yet as I got sidetracked by Loss and Zoroster-feelin' the doom right now.

41Y%2BY1BF8LL._SY300_.jpg

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8,740 of 29,661
Hello, everyone. Can you recommend a cheap pair of headphones for metal (Meshuggah, Bloodbath) and progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Karnivool)? So far i've had Senns PX-100II, Takstar Hi2050, Beyers DTX 71ie, Brainwavz R1. Most of all i liked the PX-100II's. Meshuggah on the praised Takstars sounded like crap - no bass, ultra-sharp highs. I was hearing only cymbals, the EQ didn't help. Brainwavz R1 have way to much mid-bass (80-200hz). Beyers DTX 71ie sounded good but I didn't feel the agression of metal with them. Will Superlux HD668/HD662/HD661 suit my tastes?

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #8,741 of 29,661
Quote:
Hello, everyone. Can you recommend a cheap pair of headphones for metal (Meshuggah, Bloodbath) and progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Karnivool)? So far i've had Senns PX-100II, Takstar Hi2050, Beyers DTX 71ie, Brainwavz R1. Most of all i liked the PX-100II's. Meshuggah on the praised Takstars sounded like crap - no bass, ultra-sharp highs. I was hearing only cymbals, the EQ didn't help. Brainwavz R1 have way to much mid-bass (80-200hz). Beyers DTX 71ie sounded good but I didn't feel the agression of metal with them. Will Superlux HD668/HD662/HD661 suit my tastes?

Define cheap. Also, give us some of your preferences for sound. There really is no "best" sound when it comes to rock/metal, and personal preference plays a bigger part than anything.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #8,742 of 29,661
Quote:

Some will disagree with me but I'd say Grado SR60 (~60$?) is a wonderful metal and rock phone. I listened to those bands, excluding Bloodbath, extensively when I got them. They don't quite get to the lowest end but but the guitars and cymbals sound really lively. They are bright cans with groovy bass end. I only traded them away when I got the turntable and wanted a change. Try before you buy for everything you see here
darthsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #8,743 of 29,661
Quote:
Some will disagree with me but I'd say Grado SR60 (~60$?) is a wonderful metal and rock phone. I listened to those bands, excluding Bloodbath, extensively when I got them. They don't quite get to the lowest end but but the guitars and cymbals sound really lively. They are bright cans with groovy bass end. I only traded them away when I got the turntable and wanted a change. Try before you buy for everything you see here
darthsmile.gif

I don't have any recommendations. Still though upon first hearing the Grado SR60 I wanted to throw them out the car window into on coming traffic.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #8,744 of 29,661
Quote:

You will get a lot of opinions. I recently bought my first HPs and I've just bought my first amp and am shopping for a DAC. This is just my opinion. I went w/ Grados. For my first real cans, I set a $200 limit.

Grados are often mentioned for rock and metal, but as you see some people hate them. I auditioned Grado 60i, 80i and 225i on two different occasions. I used my Ipod as a source with and without amplification. Coming from my IEMS-Klisch Image s-4-I was impressed in the improvement of sound. I didn't have a good speaker sound system at the time. I found the Grados, while not perfect, gave me a significant upgrade in sound that was good for metal and pretty much anything with guitar which is my preference.

Cons:

1-They are uncomfortable for some.
2-Not really a con, but a fact....they are open and retro looking. If you want to wear them outside, at school, library, on public transportation and want to look slick, look elsewhere. In fact if you are going to be out and about, you probably want IEMs anyway or closed cans. So, I'm speaking primarily of home use, here.  A lot of people have a couple of pairs or more. Something nicer for the the house and something else for being out in the community.
3. And, they have a rep for being bright. They don't have a big sound stage particularly in their SR line. I have not heard upper end Grados such as the SRi. The SRi is beloved as a rock/metal can for Grado fans but it costs $700. They are supposed to have a bigger soundstage, while still not really big tho, more detail and refinement. If money wasn't an objecct (right!), I would have thought hard about the SR1.

Pros: 1-The don't need amplification, but may benefit from them. You can easily put off amp purchase and plug into an mp3 player or receiver or whatever from day one. I've had them about a month sans amplification and absolutely enjoy them.
2-They are inexpensive. you can spend less than or around $100 and get something that sounds pretty good relative to that price. One  argument for Grados is that other companies may not put quality into their line until you get well over $100, whereas the 60i or 80i is good bang for the buck. If you consider Grados-the 80i is very popular as a reasonable investment (around $80) and you can easily mod/tweek them.

You want to audition them first. I like base, I listen to a lot of doom and sludge and like good base. There are times when I'd like more low end, but that can be partially resolved w/ mods and with amplification w/ equalizer. But, I don't find the base lacking to the  point of being a deal breaker. I'm sure other disagree.

For me the225i at $200 was an upgrade from the 60 and 80 and and has a more detailed fuller sound. I've also listened to a lot of other kinds of music-even classical and jazz, electronic.

I did not get to audition HE which I also wanted to check out. As stated, I knew  I wanted something for a variety of metal and rock and punk/hardcore. I decided I liked their upfront, aggressive sound and IMO reproduced guitar sound well. The sound puts you front and center like you are almost on stage with the band type of thing.

OK-now you will get to hear all the people tell you that Grados suck Schiiiit and only a three eyed moron would listen to them
wink_face.gif

However, if you have been listening to sub par sound on a portable MP3 with lowend earbuds you purchased at Walmart or Best Buys, etc or boombox, and don't find them uncomfortable, I would encourage anyone to at least audition them.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,745 of 29,661
I know this isn't metal, but I've got to post it over here anyway. It's some great power pop by the band Redd Kross. It never hurts to listen to something a little different, and even metal fans should appreciate that these guys are paying homage to KISS. Just a little break from your regularly scheduled programming... No harm done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back