Lets Talk Metal
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #8,701 of 29,661
Quote:

A buddy of mine posted this on face book last night, I'm kind of bummed about it, it's totally ripping, but the vocals are just SO weak!  I wish they would have done a smoother progression from black metal throat screaming to singing, maybe a nice Lemmy vocal style era?

I'd call it more black and roll, kind of like death and roll but not awful.  Bar rock songs funneled through the forests of Norway.

From the three songs I have heard, the vocals are maybe the weakest link. They are trying to be underground and aloof, but come off as sloppy. To make things clear though, Darkthrone has always been kind of sloppy in a super cool way, that no one else could even attempt.

I have only just heard three songs so well see what the album does. At times I have been able to get used to vocals. Darkthrone's Circle The Wagons had a seemingly drastic increase in bombastic vocals. I spent way less time with it than any album by them in the last couple of years.

From what I have heard though, this new album is fun and different in a good way. It's not boring at all, but maybe the vocals will take some getting used to.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #8,702 of 29,661
Quote:
From what I have heard though, this new album is fun and different in a good way. It's not boring at all, but maybe the vocals will take some getting used to.

Very possible, kind of like a Savoy Brown or Dead Moon, for me at least.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8,703 of 29,661
Ok finally got a chance to listen, and as the trend with Voivod goes, I don't care for it, but then again, I stop listening after War And Pain and Rrroooaaarrr.  I should really stop expecting bands that put out one or two records in the beginning of their career to ever go back to that style when they got successful doing something else...

Do me a favor, not saying this will change anything, but give it a few more spins just because....I think it might really grow on you...it did for me.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #8,704 of 29,661
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #8,705 of 29,661
New Eternal Oath!! These guys put out one of my favorite melodeath albums before they broke up in '05. Can't wait to hear it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #8,706 of 29,661
http://www.underthegunreview.net/2013/02/17/review-suffocation-pinnacle-of-bedlam/

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #8,707 of 29,661
Went to the Coheed and Cambria show here in SF last night and Between the Buried and Me was the second act of the night.  I'm not a huge fan of death metal style lyrics like I was in the past, but they can really mix it up with some interesting sounds and were great live.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #8,708 of 29,661
Quote:

A buddy of mine posted this on facebook last night, I'm kind of bummed about it, it's totally ripping, but the vocals are just sooooo weak!  I wish they would have done a smoother progression from black metal throat screaming to singing, maybe a nice Lemmy vocal style era?

I'd call it more black and roll, kind of like death and roll but not awful.  Bar rock songs funneled through the forests of Norway.

Thanks for posting that. What a great song. It reminds us of their departure from the standard BM sound into "punk energy" except for punk songs are usually 2.5 minutes not 3.57 minutes long!!! The new album comes out tomorrow! 

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #8,710 of 29,661

Thy Art Is Murder .....with cats playing ping pong!

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #8,712 of 29,661
Quote:
Went to the Coheed and Cambria show here in SF last night and Between the Buried and Me was the second act of the night.  I'm not a huge fan of death metal style lyrics like I was in the past, but they can really mix it up with some interesting sounds and were great live.  

Oh **** you haha, i wanted to go to the show in L.A. so bad.  But alas the tickets cost more than i expected.
I'm a big fan of Russian Circles as well.  What did you think of them live?
Also, speaking of math metal.  Am i the only one waiting anxiously for the new ASIWYFA record?

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #8,714 of 29,661
Botanist on vinyl soon according to The Flenser. I can't wait!
Dunno about Portal though.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8,715 of 29,661
Quote:
Oh **** you haha, i wanted to go to the show in L.A. so bad.  But alas the tickets cost more than i expected.
I'm a big fan of Russian Circles as well.  What did you think of them live?
Also, speaking of math metal.  Am i the only one waiting anxiously for the new ASIWYFA record?

I wasn't planning to go initially since I couldn't get any of my friends to go, but I saw the SF show wasn't sold out like 5 days prior so I just bought a ticket and went solo.  

Loved Russian Circles as well, though I only caught about two thirds of their set since I was a little late.  From what the guys around me said, they pretty much played for about 40 minutes straight, smoothly transitioning from song to song.  The drummer was excellent, set the mood and tone really well for their songs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back