Lets Talk Metal
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #8,686 of 29,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, anyone listen to Lord Mantis-Pervertor. I don't know what to call this-blackened sludge, but that doesn't do it justice. It is warped lyrically, but unlike a lot of sludge, I find it quite dynamic with interesting, almost proggy twists and turns.....

I was just listening to this album! really good stuff.

Anyone heard these guys? they are progressive black metal. I'm listening to them a lot at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #8,687 of 29,661

This thing hits the streets in about three days time. They will either have people love it or go the way of Spinal-Tap on this one. I can listen to their newer Crusty-punk but I think this album is going to be a real work-out for some to handle? Time will tell.

If worse comes to worse at least we have the old stuff to remember em by.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #8,688 of 29,661
OK-I'm home and obviously bored of doing paper work for my paid job....so, I need a distraction.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but I say thumbs up to Nocte Obducta. Just was listening to some WITR, and they kind of remind me of a more rockin' WITR vibe. Got that melodic BM synthsie-folksie thing....

And, I say that new Darktrhone is pretty fun....hard to believe it's the same band that gave us those seminal satanic blue prints of yore-but it's all good
jecklinsmile.gif
 Now, how an entire album sounds ??

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #8,689 of 29,661
Darkthrone ain't never going to top their first 4 albums (I thought Soulside Journey was good) but I think the new song is OK, I will still check out the new album. Nocte Obducta do have a WITTR vibe but their newer material is more Avant-Garde but it is still solid.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #8,690 of 29,661
EDIT: OOPS, it looks like I was replying to a string of posts a few pages back, lol. sorry about that guys, probably why this post will seem out-of-context.

Speaking of balls-out symphonic black metal, this band needs to get the **** back together. Not alot of symphonic bands have really achieved the level of intensity that these guys have on all their albums.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #8,691 of 29,661

Nocte Obducta was great, and sadly a greatly overlooked band. If you want to see their modern spiritual incarnation (the main lead songwriter's new band), check out Agrypnie. Solid progressive black metal.

I was just listening to this album! really good stuff.

Anyone heard these guys? they are progressive black metal. I'm listening to them a lot at the moment 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8,693 of 29,661
Quote:
Darkthrone ain't never going to top their first 4 albums (I thought Soulside Journey was good) but I think the new song is OK, I will still check out the new album. Nocte Obducta do have a WITTR vibe but their newer material is more Avant-Garde but it is still solid.

I love the new sound they released after joining Moonfrog Productions. Ravishing Grimness and Hate Them top out for me. The first couple BMs are great. Never heard Soulside Journey until about a year ago. I thought Soulside is under-rated and wish I would have gotten it sooner.

I guess people either love em or hate em. Some really love the new material. This new song almost sounds like a dirty bar band. The screams are hilarious.What a change for them after the serious tone of the early catalog.

Speaking of Moonfrog? They never get any play here. Being that this thread has slowly evolved into an audiophile-metal thread, it seems strange to never hear anyone even mention Satyricon? With out a question, they have produced the best sounding Black Metal with the last couple of albums.

Discography

Studio albums

1. Dark Medieval Times (1994)         Great 7/10
  2. The Shadowthrone (1994)             Great 8/10
  3. Nemesis Divina (1996)                 Their best though not really audiophile 10/10
  4. Rebel Extravaganza (1999)           Great 8/10
  5. Volcano (2002)                            Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10
  6. Now, Diabolical (2006)                  Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10
  7. The Age of Nero (2008)                Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10

EPs

1. Megiddo (1997)
  2. Intermezzo II (1999)
  3. My Skin Is Cold (2008)

Singles

1. "K.I.N.G." (2006)
  2. "The Pentagram Burns" (2006)
  3. "Black Crow on a Tombstone" (2008)

Compilation albums

1. The Forest Is My Throne / Yggdrassil (1995)
  2. The Box Set (1998, 3 LPs)
  3. Ten Horns – Ten Diadems (2002)

Demos

1. All Evil (1992)
  2. The Forest Is My Throne (1993)

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #8,694 of 29,661
Quote:

I love the new sound they released after joining Moonfrog Productions. Ravishing Grimness and Hate Them top out for me. The first couple BMs are great. Never heard Soulside Journey until about a year ago. I thought Soulside is under-rated and wish I would have gotten it sooner.

I guess people either love em or hate em. Some really love the new material. This new song almost sounds like a dirty bar band. The screams are hilarious.What a change for them after the serious tone of the early catalog.

Speaking of Moonfrog? They never get any play here. Being that this thread has slowly evolved into an audiophile-metal thread, it seems strange to never hear anyone even mention Satyricon? With out a question, they have produced the best sounding Black Metal with the last couple of albums.

Discography

Studio albums

1. Dark Medieval Times (1994)         Great 7/10
  2. The Shadowthrone (1994)             Great 8/10
  3. Nemesis Divina (1996)                 Their best though not really audiophile 10/10
  4. Rebel Extravaganza (1999)           Great 8/10
  5. Volcano (2002)                            Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10
  6. Now, Diabolical (2006)                  Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10
  7. The Age of Nero (2008)                Total Audiophile Black Metal 10/10

EPs

1. Megiddo (1997)
  2. Intermezzo II (1999)
  3. My Skin Is Cold (2008)

Singles

1. "K.I.N.G." (2006)
  2. "The Pentagram Burns" (2006)
  3. "Black Crow on a Tombstone" (2008)

Compilation albums

1. The Forest Is My Throne / Yggdrassil (1995)
  2. The Box Set (1998, 3 LPs)
  3. Ten Horns – Ten Diadems (2002)

Demos

1. All Evil (1992)
  2. The Forest Is My Throne (1993)

Hey, right on...good for them! These dudes are veterans, first wave, second wave-whatever! They are seminal. I remember way back when, reading their lyrics and feeling-"yikes-wouldn't want to meet these guys in a dark alley". But, now, I think bascially the joke is on all of of us!

But, who cares, they helped start a movement, love metal and they're just doing their thing devil may care (pun obviously intended).

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #8,696 of 29,661

This thing hits the streets in about three days time. They will either have people love it or go the way of Spinal-Tap on this one. I can listen to their newer Crusty-punk but I think this album is going to be a real work-out for some to handle? Time will tell.

You will probably not like it since its more blackened crust punk, but its fantastic. These guys are so talented.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #8,697 of 29,661

I'm listening to this album for the first time in a while; I'm starting to listen to a lot more metal now, for the first time really since college. Origin was one of the first technical death metal bands I got into, I really appreciated them for their sheer heaviness and ridiculously extreme delivery. It's still a very punishing album.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8,698 of 29,661
Quote:

A buddy of mine posted this on facebook last night, I'm kind of bummed about it, it's totally ripping, but the vocals are just sooooo weak!  I wish they would have done a smoother progression from black metal throat screaming to singing, maybe a nice Lemmy vocal style era?

Quote:
You will probably not like it since its more blackened crust punk, but its fantastic. These guys are so talented.

I'd call it more black and roll, kind of like death and roll but not awful.  Bar rock songs funneled through the forests of Norway.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #8,699 of 29,661
Quote:
That's hard but I would say, as I did in the review, Outer Limits. Go there.

Ok finally got a chance to listen, and as the trend with Voivod goes, I don't care for it, but then again, I stop listening after War And Pain and Rrroooaaarrr.  I should really stop expecting bands that put out one or two records in the beginning of their career to ever go back to that style when they got successful doing something else...

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #8,700 of 29,661
Quote:

Actually I've heard three songs and so far it reminds me of early Merciful Fate AKA, Melissa sound both the way the guitar is and the vocals actually remind me of King Diamond. They don't have the range of course but tell me if you think the voicing is close. The start of the guitar sounds like early Merciful Fate too. Idno, maybe it's just me.

I like it as a change of pace from all I listen to. Heck.......Are there even any bands that sound like them out there? They are kind of a single handed movement in metal at this point. Original sounding music from a retired and reborn Black Metal band.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back