Lets Talk Metal
Feb 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #8,536 of 29,661
Quote:
Wow, that sounds like a slam fest to me. What's funny ferday every since I listened to ODEM, I have been going back and listenening to Behemoth and DsO. Ahhh the classics...

LOL i guess it is pretty slam.  the (sub, sub, sub) genre in general is mostly new to me, i'm digging the chugging riffs and general brutality

Odem got me back onto old school Vader for whatever reason...

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #8,537 of 29,661
Quote:

Im with you there.

Looking for some thrash I might not have heard.

Current Artist list...

Testament
Megadeth
Nuclear Assault
Evildead
Toxic Holocaust
Anthrax

Few more.

Anything I might enjoy?

Check out the last three Kreator albums. They are one band that seems to get better and better. Also Havok!!!!!

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #8,538 of 29,661
Quote:

Im with you there.

Looking for some thrash I might not have heard.

Current Artist list...

Testament
Megadeth
Nuclear Assault
Evildead
Toxic Holocaust
Anthrax

Few more.

Anything I might enjoy?

OK-I can definitely weigh in here-Love Thrash! It was my coming of age metal circa 1983.....

If you're thinking about current releases from the orignators of the genre-I vote yes, yes, yes for last two Testament releases (as well as their early classics-very solid. If you're new to thrash you can't go  wrong w/ Testament-a classic band who were just a step away from joining the big 4. W/ Chuck Billy (one of the most charismatic thrash vocalists ever) and Alex Skolnick back on guitar-arguably one of the great guitarists of our time-very tasteful and heavy melodic player who has a jazz background among other things.

I'm going to say something blunt, I think Dave Mustaine in his middle age is an idiot-that said-back in the day he put out two of my favorite speed metal albums-I don't think there is any real argument, "Peace Sells But Who's Buying" and "Rust in Peace" are some of the best of the genre. I just can't read anything he says without being totally turned off.

For a no holds bar, blue collar sound I think Overkill is terrific. Their 2010 release 'Iron bound" was on a lot of the year end lists and I think it's a freaking fantastic thrash album. No new school nothin'. Just good old fashion arse whipping thrash. The singer's voice takes some getting use to, but I like his vox.It's a bit screechy. He can carry a tune however and has a nice blues quality when he chooses to use it.

Voivod is supposed to have a pretty good new CD w/ a new guitarist if you like technical thrash. I'm thinking of picking it up. They're very well regarded.

Anthrax is killer-on the punkier side of thrash. Check out their old stuff. Going way back to my college days-'90 'Persistence of Time' is a classic. Love, love that album.

How about Machine Head? Been around for a while, but I just started listening to them two releases ago-The Blackening-it's really excellent. I like their new one as well- a bit of a metalcore influence-but the dude has strong clean vox as well. And,for a good modern metal band putting out new stuff-highly recommended. Just straight up American modern thrash metal. Great guitar work.

If you like At the Gates and are willing to listen to a sort of extreme vocal style, The Haunted are pretty cool-I like their early release "Made me Do It" w/ a death metal vocal vibe. And, it's got that cool Sweedish melododic DM thang......Their newer stuff-not so much.

And, speaking of extreme DM/hardcoreish vocals-some good talented young bands out there like Revocation and Skelletonwitch who create a witches brew of blackened thrash. I find the lyrics lacking, but I like thrash that has something to say. I find some of the young thrash bands, don't seem to have much to say lyrically....but that's a pretty strong bias.

Kreator's got a good 2012 release-German Thash!

If you know all of these very well-known bands, I hope I haven't insulted your metal intelligence.

Just some of my opinions about one of my favorite genres :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #8,539 of 29,661
Quote:
It wasn't meant to be hostile. Calm down.

There's just very little that I've liked. I'd love to actually find something besides Testament that I like. Dark Roots of Earth is really good and early Metallica is okay but most of what I've heard I can't get into.

I'm just goofin around, don't mind me.

Here's some thrash songs to check out:

Overkill - Deny The Cross

Hallows Eve - Lethal Tendencies

Razor - Cross Me Fool

Exodus - Bonded By Blood

Holy Moses - Life's Destroyer

Laaz Rockit - Fire In The Hole

Let me know if you like any of that, if you do I can make some suggestions based on which you like/don't like.  I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to thrash.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #8,540 of 29,661
I never got into Machine Head, but the band they were before they changed their name and became too nu-metal for me, completely ripped, Vio-lence!

Vio-lence - Officer Nice

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8,541 of 29,661
I have to say, I really don't get all of the fuss about Royal Thunder. Yes, the singer is very talented, hooray. I thought CVI was a giant bore though, I still haven't managed to even make it all the way through. As a band, I think the Sword is in a different league.

This is where Dave and I disagree. I actually enjoy that Royal Thunder album a lot more than he does. But of course I saw them live....it kinda changes your perspective... :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #8,543 of 29,661
Overkill.......Yes
Exodus.......OK

how about some Onslaught!!

OH how I love this sheeeeeeeeet!

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8,544 of 29,661
Quote:
Overkill.......Yes
Exodus.......OK

how about some Onslaught!!

OH how I love this sheeeeeeeeet!

Love me some Onslaught, completely shreds!

How about some Blessed Death?

ETERNAL WAR!

My old band got compared to these guys (how I found out about them), so I watched a video, and it was a fat dude in a leather jacket blasting insane falsettos, I was pretty stoked on the comparison.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #8,546 of 29,661
Quote:
I'm going to say something blunt, I think Dave Mustaine in his middle age is an idiot-that said-back in the day he put out two of my favorite speed metal albums-I don't think there is any real argument, "Peace Sells But Who's Buying" and "Rust in Peace" are some of the best of the genre. I just can't read anything he says without being totally turned off.

Mustaine almost makes Ted Nugent look sane at this point.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #8,547 of 29,661
Quote:

Mustaine almost makes Ted Nugent look sane at this point.

When we were kids we thought Alice Cooper was crazy, we thought Gene Simmons was crazy, it just turns out that there really good businessmen/showmen.

Still though if you see Dave backstage at this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Four:_Live_from_Sofia,_Bulgaria

Anybody in this thread who is into Thrash is missing out if they have not seen this one!

His was really the only band it rained on, so maybe that pissed him off. He can be a dick as much as he wants to, he still one of the greatest on the guitar.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #8,548 of 29,661
Does anyone know if Peaceville still restocks the Great Cold Distance Katatonia vinyl? I keep an eye on the page but it's always out of stock, and the only other place I see it is on Ebay for $100. It's the only LP I'm missing but I'm not about to pay that much for it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #8,550 of 29,661
New Woe track up! One of my most anticipated releases so far. 

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14930-carried-by-waves-to-remorseless-shores-of-the-truth/

EDIT: Initial Impressions: Great song. Retains the fierce and passionate black metal sound that Woe is known for. The drums aren't quite as intricate as on Quietly, Undramatically, but that's being nitpicky. Grigg's analysis of his own album seems correct so far in this track, capturing that angry essence that "A Spell..." had while having the songwriting sensibilities that "Quietly, Undramatically" had

Users who are viewing this thread

Back