Lets Talk Metal
Jan 20, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #8,266 of 29,653
Before we go down the rabit hole with bashing every single core genre out there remember, there is good core music. It's really unfortunate that any thing that sounds metallic and whiney get labeled as a ...-core genre. Hardcore is sick, Grindcore is a sonic assault, noise core is great, and one of the most prolific bands of today comes under the metal core genre. This track is so heavy it sounds like a waterfall of mercury. 

Who's bashing? I love good core...including metalcore, and gasp scenecore and even mallcore! I am not ashamed (ok, I own the new emmure album, so I'm slightly ashamed). Hell I even love Korn (nu-core?)

There's a lot of sensitivity poking up in this thread lately...as if a bunch of you don't have old slipknot shirts hiding in a drawer somewhere :wink:

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,267 of 29,653
After IV: Mandragora was announced I got addicted to Botanist all over again, haha. Hope the first two albums are pressed to vinyl in the future.

WARNING:: Black Metal with no guitars.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #8,268 of 29,653
Quote:
No, it's not just you! Maybe that's why I felt it was getting a little too proggy?

And Trogdor, he posted hatesphere cause they rock! I also consider them core but a very good example of! Hmmm...deathcore, or the "dreaded" metal core?

Hatesphere is modern scandinavian thrash! They have way more in common with Slayer, (old) The Haunted, Dismember, Entombed and Testament than any metalcore or deathcore band. Total attitude difference. Hatesphere is 100% metal!!

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #8,269 of 29,653
After IV: Mandragora was announced I got addicted to Botanist all over again, haha. Hope the first two albums are pressed to vinyl in the future.

WARNING:: Black Metal with no guitars.

I love botanist, had no idea anything new was coming out!

@negakinu- I like it whatever it's labelled. I only have the first 2 (st, bloodred hatred) so I'm a lot behind... The early stuff is very thrash! Don't take my labelling seriously...I don't :wink:

I just like metal.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #8,270 of 29,653
Quote:
I love botanist, had no idea anything new was coming out!

@negakinu- I like it whatever it's labelled. I only have the first 2 (st, bloodred hatred) so I'm a lot behind... The early stuff is very thrash! Don't take my labelling seriously...I don't
wink.gif

I just like metal.

I was preaching to Trog. He said they were core. He is now no longer my e-friend. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #8,273 of 29,653
Before we go down the rabit hole with bashing every single core genre out there remember, there is good core music. It's really unfortunate that any thing that sounds metallic and whiney get labeled as a ...-core genre. Hardcore is sick, Grindcore is a sonic assault, noise core is great, and one of the most prolific bands of today comes under the metal core genre. This track is so heavy it sounds like a waterfall of mercury. 

That's it. I now band posting any Jane Doe posting going forward (this is like the 3rd maybe 4th time someone has posted it).

Don't get me wrong, I really dig Converge (I'm a recent convert) but please...pick another album....

Here is some more blasphemy, I actually like their latest better than JD.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8,274 of 29,653
Quote:
Who's bashing? I love good core...including metalcore, and gasp scenecore and even mallcore! I am not ashamed (ok, I own the new emmure album, so I'm slightly ashamed). Hell I even love Korn (nu-core?)

There's a lot of sensitivity poking up in this thread lately...as if a bunch of you don't have old slipknot shirts hiding in a drawer somewhere
wink.gif

ha, I don't any slipknot shirts, but there are some incriminating bands on my itunes and last.fm. I guess I'm a little jaded from years of saying "no it's not scremo" and hearing core used as an insult. Forgot that I was among friends. 

Been enjoying these guys a lot recent
:

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #8,277 of 29,653
Quote:
We will be featuring this album soon on Metal-Fi, stay tuned! :)

Nice! Vinyl coming later, I'll keep an eye on that one too.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8,278 of 29,653
Shrine of New Generation Slaves impressions. As you may have heard, the album was intended to be more progressive rock than metal, and that's very true. I'm a huge Anno Domini fan, so even though I like prog rock I was expecting to be somewhat disappointed... not so. It was pleasantly surprising, and though quite a departure from their past work it was still unmistakably Riverside. The album seems to go back and forth between two different places; a slightly-less-heavy version of older Riverside material and a much lighter prog atmosphere (where it stays most of the time). So if you're used to hearing the other albums, it will ease you into the new style. And I have to say, I wasn't too fond of the heavy portions of this album. Mainly this was just because of their severe overuse of pentatonic riffs. It's a cool sound, but there's only so much you can do with it before everything starts sounding the same from using it so much. The rest of the had some really cool rhythms with great drumming, though.

Vocals and bass playing were at an all-time high, by far. Duda puts down some serious groove with the drums on Deprived, which is something that can't really be accomplished with metal. And the singing is just fantastic. Guitar work was on par with previous albums, as was the keyboard work. The only times I was impressed with the keyboardist were his organ parts during the metal sections, and I really wish he would have used organ sounds throughout. The rest of the keyboard parts are good, but he only truly shines in metal. Production was also the best I have heard from them yet. Clipping was present as expected, but the record maintains a clear sound for its entire length. I don't have the vinyl yet so no comments there.

Overall it's a great listen that takes you from exciting heavy prog metal sections to fascinating gentle melodic parts and everywhere in between. If you listen to Duda's side project, Lunatic Soul, you already have a good idea of what some of this album sounds like. 8.7/10

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #8,279 of 29,653
Gonna be getting this one soon. 

Also, on the subject of this FDR Earache stuff. They're not pressing enough of this stuff on vinyl. I have no money to get it and I have a feeling it'll all be gone before I do. Ugh.

Quote:
Shrine of New Generation Slaves impressions. As you may have heard, the album was intended to be more progressive rock than metal, and that's very true. I'm a huge Anno Domini fan, so even though I like prog rock I was expecting to be somewhat disappointed... not so. It was pleasantly surprising, and though quite a departure from their past work it was still unmistakably Riverside. The album seems to go back and forth between two different places; a slightly-less-heavy version of older Riverside material and a much lighter prog atmosphere (where it stays most of the time). So if you're used to hearing the other albums, it will ease you into the new style. And I have to say, I wasn't too fond of the heavy portions of this album. Mainly this was just because of their severe overuse of pentatonic riffs. It's a cool sound, but there's only so much you can do with it before everything starts sounding the same from using it so much. The rest of the had some really cool rhythms with great drumming, though.

Vocals and bass playing were at an all-time high, by far. Duda puts down some serious groove with the drums on Deprived, which is something that can't really be accomplished with metal. And the singing is just fantastic. Guitar work was on par with previous albums, as was the keyboard work. The only times I was impressed with the keyboardist were his organ parts during the metal sections, and I really wish he would have used organ sounds throughout. The rest of the keyboard parts are good, but he only truly shines in metal. Production was also the best I have heard from them yet. Clipping was present as expected, but the record maintains a clear sound for its entire length. I don't have the vinyl yet so no comments there.

Overall it's a great listen that takes you from exciting heavy prog metal sections to fascinating gentle melodic parts and everywhere in between. If you listen to Duda's side project, Lunatic Soul, you already have a good idea of what some of this album sounds like. 8.7/10

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #8,280 of 29,653
Quote:
That's it. I now band posting any Jane Doe posting going forward (this is like the 3rd maybe 4th time someone has posted it).

Don't get me wrong, I really dig Converge (I'm a recent convert) but please...pick another album....

Here is some more blasphemy, I actually like their latest better than JD.

Duly noted, trogdor (I think i'm guilty of half of those :p). 

Anyway, can someone explain to me why the bass is almost always mixed into oblivion in modern records? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back