Lets Talk Metal
Dec 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7,996 of 29,658
Quote:
Yes, maybe sometimes we forget that there are record collectors who just like having 1st pressings and don't even listen to them. I would hope the new Zeppelin remasters, out this year, are way better sounding that the originals?

I wouldn't count on that. The "first press is always best" general wisdom is usually right. The recently released Beatles vinyl box set for example is basically crap, done by a ****ty pressing plant using 24/44 digital masters created for the CD releases a few years ago. The original UK pressings stomp all over them. 

In almost all cases, unless somebody fanatical about sound quality like Analogue Productions or Music Matters is doing the remastering, remaster = worse.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #7,997 of 29,658
Didn't they get the permission to do new remasters for the CDs? They didn't use those then? I thought they had long negotiations about this but was is just for the overall re-release thing
confused_face_2.gif

I wanted to get Revolver..

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #7,998 of 29,658
Would this sound any better if it were not 64kbps? 
blink.gif

This is an entirely new genre for me....I actually kind of like it.
Quote:
And if you still want more, Sutcliffe Jugend:

Pleasant dreams kids. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #7,999 of 29,658
Quote:

I wouldn't count on that. The "first press is always best" general wisdom is usually right. The recently released Beatles vinyl box set for example is basically crap, done by a ****ty pressing plant using 24/44 digital masters created for the CD releases a few years ago. The original UK pressings stomp all over them. 

In almost all cases, unless somebody fanatical about sound quality like Analogue Productions or Music Matters is doing the remastering, remaster = worse.

Normally that would be true but I actually heard a very rare remaster of Houses of the Holy. There were a couple recent Zep remasters which were made then stopped by Jimmy Page himself in anticipation for doing the Zep remasters which will come out this year.

Houses of the Holy sounded fantastic! You were there and hearing little drum details which were never heard before! There is one part where Bonzo makes his drums sound almost like a locomotive. Never heard it before. Houses of the Holy is like an album which I heard 100s of times. It may not be the same for all nine albums to be released though. I do agree as even the first CDs are usually the best.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #8,000 of 29,658
I have a fair bit of dark/noise/ambient....it can sound better but a lot of the recordings are lo fi on purpose....and sometimes so noisy that it doesn't matter much
This genre is best late, alone, in the dark... :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #8,001 of 29,658
Quote:
Normally that would be true but I actually heard a very rare remaster of Houses of the Holy. There were a couple recent Zep remasters which were made then stopped by Jimmy Page himself in anticipation for doing the Zep remasters which will come out this year.

Houses of the Holy sounded fantastic! You were there and hearing little drum details which were never heard before! There is one part where Bonzo makes his drums sound almost like a locomotive. Never heard it before. Houses of the Holy is like an album which I heard 100s of times. It may not be the same for all nine albums to be released though. I do agree as even the first CDs are usually the best.

Do know who did the remaster, or a way to track it down, I'd be interested in hearing that, Houses is my favorite Zeppelin album.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #8,002 of 29,658
Guys, I just wanted to let you know we have some exciting stuff coming on Metal-Fi including:

- Another great interview with a famous musician and engineer everyone on this list knows and loves (or should)
- Our Best-Of of 2012 will be on the 24th (don't miss), we are hoping folks will post their list on the site
- A few more last minute reviews that may actually make some of your best lists
- Some site improvements are also in the works

Next week we are busy.... :D

I promise in the New Year we will start tackling equipment including some headphone reviews and other more technical articles....unless of course the world ends on the 21st.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #8,003 of 29,658
Listening to the Indesinence album that Dave recommended earlier. What a headbanger! Hurry up with the review. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #8,005 of 29,658
Quote:
Riphery'... I hate you 
biggrin.gif

Check out the comment section of Angry Metal Guy's Periphery II review:

Sam Marx  5 months ago
This is probably the most overrated band in modern metal.

2. 10  
  3. Reply
  4. Share ›

Misha Mansoor  Sam Marx  5 months ago
    Probably up there!

1. Misha Mansoor  Cameron English  5 months ago
      Not saying that you have to like Periphery, but as much as I love Meshuggah (and I do), if you really are saying that we sound like a Meshuggah cover band, that leads me to believe that you haven't ACTUALLY listened to our latest, and you are just regurgitating what someone else who didn't listen to the album said.

My advice would be to listen to the new album, for there are plenty for legitimate reasons to hate it, instead of made up ones that dont make sense haha!

3. Reply
      4. Share ›

Steel Druhm Mod  Cameron English  5 months ago
      LOL @ "meatride."

Misha Mansoor  5 months ago
      hiii

3. Reply
      4. Share ›

Angry Metal Guy Mod  Misha Mansoor  5 months ago
        Hi! Thanks for reading! Sorry I don't like your band, but you're a fantastic guitarist. :)

3. Reply
        4. Share ›

Misha Mansoor  Angry Metal Guy  5 months ago
          Thanks dude, but no worries!  We appreciate people talking, and you seem to have sparked up a bunch of debate which is great, that always does us some good (we tend to be a very polarizing band for some reason).
          Our first album got generally worse reviews and worked wonders for our career, so at this point i would rather see a bad review than not see a review at all! Thanks again!

3. Reply
          4. Share ›

Angry Metal Guy Mod  Misha Mansoor  5 months ago
            All press is good press. :wink: 

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #8,006 of 29,658
That was awesome hahahaha, Misha looks indeed like a great guy! I follow most of the guys in this community (members of Periphery, Veil Of Maya, BTBAM, The Faceless, etc) on fb and they all look like fantastic guys. Really just makes me appreciate their music even more. BTW good luck at the show! Hope you will have a blast (pun not intended). It's really my dream to see most of these guys, but I live in a place where a Periphery show would drag like 50 people lol, So I'll have to wait till I grow up and can travel (in case I still like these bands). I did saw Parkway Drive November last year and they where only like 200 people, that shows the magnitude of people who like metal here lol (considering PD is one of the biggest metalcore bands out there) But the tiny Venue just made it that much more enjoyable if you understand, I was able to walk backstage and have a little talk with Winston without having to pass any security at all
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #8,007 of 29,658
Guess it's time to post my best of 2012... so many great releases this year! These guys tied for first, I couldn't choose between them because they're too different.

Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
Sigh - In Somniphobia
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I

Runner ups:

Katatonia - Dead End Kings
Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
What the Blood Revealed - Harbour of Devils (Again, if you haven't heard them, be sure to give it a listen. Really good and generally unheard of band.)

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #8,008 of 29,658
Quote:
That was awesome hahahaha, Misha looks indeed like a great guy! I follow most of the guys in this community (members of Periphery, Veil Of Maya, BTBAM, The Faceless, etc) on fb and they all look like fantastic guys. Really just makes me appreciate their music even more. BTW good luck at the show! Hope you will have a blast (pun not intended). It's really my dream to see most of these guys, but I live in a place where a Periphery show would drag like 50 people lol, So I'll have to wait till I grow up and can travel (in case I still like these bands). I did saw Parkway Drive November last year and they where only like 200 people, that shows the magnitude of people who like metal here lol (considering PD is one of the biggest metalcore bands out there) But the tiny Venue just made it that much more enjoyable if you understand, I was able to walk backstage and have a little talk with Winston without having to pass any security at all
biggrin.gif

Dude, its same here. Yesterday Gojira gig had approx 2000-3000 people which is quite low... I think main reason for that was there was a Testament gig which was happening nearby. I want to see a lot of bands but they dont come to India. Truth be told, its the last three-four years that I have seen Ironmaiden, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Enslaved, Machinehead, Megadeth, Amon Amarth, Opeth and Lamb of God etc. Can't really complain now. Because five or six ago, no one used to come.. Bands are coming to India and I am happy..

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #8,009 of 29,658
Quote:
Didn't they get the permission to do new remasters for the CDs? They didn't use those then? I thought they had long negotiations about this but was is just for the overall re-release thing
confused_face_2.gif

I wanted to get Revolver..

The new vinyl masters were taken from the digital remasters done for the CD re-issues a few years ago, 2009 I think. The actual mastering was done at 24/192, which was then cut down to 24/44 for some sort of USB thingie. The vinyl is pressed from the same 24/44, and according to those in the know, basically sounds the same as that, except worse because of things like surface noise from the crappy pressing plant that was chosen for the US release.

1966 stereo originals are really not as bad as you might think. The earliest UK pressings cost a fortune, but a more run of the mill '66 pressed in Europe can be had for under $50, even in mint condition.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #8,010 of 29,658
Quote:

The new vinyl masters were taken from the digital remasters done for the CD re-issues a few years ago, 2009 I think. The actual mastering was done at 24/192, which was then cut down to 24/44 for some sort of USB thingie. The vinyl is pressed from the same 24/44, and according to those in the know, basically sounds the same as that, except worse because of things like surface noise from the crappy pressing plant that was chosen for the US release.

1966 stereo originals are really not as bad as you might think. The earliest UK pressings cost a fortune, but a more run of the mill '66 pressed in Europe can be had for under $50, even in mint condition.

Most of my Led Zep CDs were bought in the mid / late 1980s, so if the new remasters are indeed better than maybe it is would a re-purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back