Lets Talk Metal
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7,696 of 29,660
Quote:
Can any of you guys recommend me some instrumental metal bands?  I get really into some of these songs until some dude starts growling or singing over it... 
angry_face.gif

A friend of mine turned me on to Animals As Leaders. which I liked quite a bit, but is there any good instrumental power metal or the like?  I love dueling lead guitars :)

Loomis!

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7,697 of 29,660
Quote:
May I add to that list:
Anything That fits into Crunkcore, or Deathcore as a Genre.
Any sub-genre that comes from a previous sub-genre. non of this blackened cursed triple sundae death satan metalcore rubbish.
Infact, this is a metal thread, we shouldn't need to use any sub-genres, we should openly listen to everything posted. just to see what's out there.
Any metal covers of pop songs.
The word Djent. Just because people don't seem to understand what onomatopoeia is.
Anyone complaining about growling. If you don't like it, that's fine, there is enough metal out there with clean vocals, or instrumentals that you don't need to whine about it.
Metallica's 'lulu' and 'st anger'

Yup... rant/

Verb The Noun bands.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #7,699 of 29,660
Quote:

Anything else below this area..................

Honestly most MDM isn't all that good these days. Be'lakor is crushing it, the new Destiny is pretty good (if a little too derivative of Dark Tranquillity, review forthcoming) but there's an awful lot of crap too. Anything described as "modern" melodic death you should run from. I'm not sure extreme metal on its own is even a thing. Symphonic metal, bleh. The idea that it's better than black metal ought to ruffle a few feathers around these parts. Nothing wrong with sludge or gothic metal if they are well done. Weird list dude.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #7,700 of 29,660
Quote:
The only acceptable version of slipknot.

I cant breathe! XD "Put your ****ing hands in the air!"

Quote:
The word Djent. Just because people don't seem to understand what onomatopoeia is.

Onowhat?

Anyway...

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #7,701 of 29,660
Quote:
Weird list dude.

I'd put christian and black metal in the same category, maybe ok or bad tier. Prog definitely has to move up. I also wouldn't put symphonic and folk on top.

Anyway..

John Petrucci - Jaws of Life

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #7,702 of 29,660
Quote:

Honestly most MDM isn't all that good these days. Be'lakor is crushing it, the new Destiny is pretty good (if a little too derivative of Dark Tranquillity, review forthcoming) but there's an awful lot of crap too. Anything described as "modern" melodic death you should run from. I'm not sure extreme metal on its own is even a thing. Symphonic metal, bleh. The idea that it's better than black metal ought to ruffle a few feathers around these parts. Nothing wrong with sludge or gothic metal if they are well done. Weird list dude.

Ya, I hope no one takes my on-line jokes at face value. It is a weird list. Partly true.
------------------------------by the way
http://loudwire.com/anthrax-song-got-the-time-played-on-mars/

Nasa just played this song on planet Mars!

And.............. Death Spiritual Healing Streaming in full!!
http://loudwire.com/death-spiritual-healing-deluxe-reissue-exclusive-album-stream/
A three CD remaster
eek.gif
 release came out yesterday.
http://www.relapse.com/label/news/death-spiritual-healing-deluxe-reissue-to-see-release.html

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #7,703 of 29,660

Originally Posted by samsquanch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only acceptable version of slipknot.

I'm actually a total closet (on Head-Fi) Slipknot fan. I have every album, every DVD and have been seen wearing a totally gay Slipknot shirt. Saw em in LA last time. Great pit!

Disasterpieces has to be the best DVD,though.

The whole complete DVD here.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #7,704 of 29,660
Quote:
Ya, I hope no one takes my on-line jokes at face value. It is a weird list. Partly true.
------------------------------by the way
http://loudwire.com/anthrax-song-got-the-time-played-on-mars/

Nasa just played this song on planet Mars!

And.............. Death Spiritual Healing Streaming in full!!
http://loudwire.com/death-spiritual-healing-deluxe-reissue-exclusive-album-stream/
A three CD remaster
eek.gif
 release came out yesterday.
http://www.relapse.com/label/news/death-spiritual-healing-deluxe-reissue-to-see-release.html

Yeah I was also browsing through Relapse website. I think they have done a bunch of Death remasters since 2011.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #7,705 of 29,660
Quote:
Yeah I was also browsing through Relapse website. I think they have done a bunch of Death remasters since 2011.

It's been from even before that, I think?. You can check the dates but I remember seeing these Death remasters in Hot Topic
blink.gif
 in 09. May have been on a different label though? I can never get tired of albums like these. You hear the influences everywhere!

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7,706 of 29,660
It's been from even before that, I think?. You can check the dates but I remember seeing these Death remasters in Hot Topic:blink:  in 09. May have been on a different label though? I can never get tired of albums like these. You hear the influences everywhere!

The remiastered versions thus far haven't been that great. I stopped buying them since next year we are going to see a huge special edition Death box set with all of their albums and some extras. Its going to be a huge set which I will own for sure! :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #7,707 of 29,660
Quote:
It's been from even before that, I think?. You can check the dates but I remember seeing these Death remasters in Hot Topic
blink.gif
 in 09. May have been on a different label though? I can never get tired of albums like these. You hear the influences everywhere!

Yeah I agree, there has been a remaster of the entire set earlier than that. But Relapse started a new Death reissue in 2011. And I haven't heard if they are good or bad.

I think it started with Human and now we have The sound of Perseverance. All are 2/3 CD reissues. I haven't heard if they are good or not. Do you know the quality on the newest reissues.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #7,708 of 29,660
Quote:
The remiastered versions thus far haven't been that great. I stopped buying them since next year we are going to see a huge special edition Death box set with all of their albums and some extras. Its going to be a huge set which I will own for sure! :)

I only have one Death DVD. This was something put together to raise money for Chuck's cancer treatment back in 2001. A great recording of a 1998 show.

I think I am going to look for The Spiritual Healing performance, which was recorded with the tour of the above album. Definitely a change in sound for the band.

I always read that no one likes the remasters of Death. Is it because they don't sound as good as the original CDs or is it that they are not an improvement?

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #7,710 of 29,660
Quote:
Yeah I agree, there has been a remaster of the entire set earlier than that. But Relapse started a new Death reissue in 2011. And I haven't heard if they are good or bad.

I think it started with Human and now we have The sound of Perseverance. All are 2/3 CD reissues. I haven't heard if they are good or not. Do you know the quality on the newest reissues.

Looks like Century Media did some also Relativity and Roadrunner did one? I actually at one time had some the albums back to back with the original CD files and the remasters. Funny I never thought to listen to which one was better. I was just concentrating on listening to the music. There was some interesting bonus songs too. Normally I seem to like albums to stay the original length but some of the remaster extras are cool on these Death albums. I never knew Death did a Kiss song.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back