Lets Talk Metal
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #7,591 of 29,660
Quote:
For those not familiar with Verdunkeln, I whole heartily suggest you check out their follow up from their amazing 2007 debut.
If you aren't typically a black metal fan, I would REALLY GIVE this a chance - think of it as Burzum meets Gothic rock melodies....take a listen to a track off of Weder Licht Noch Schatten:

My review on Metal-Fi is here.

Ooooh! Nice! Gonna check this out, Thanks! :) 

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #7,592 of 29,660
For any Metroid fans out there.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #7,594 of 29,660
Anyone know if the new Monolithe is coming out on vinyl? I want to order it so bad but would hate to get the cd version if there is vinyl coming.
Thanks

That's a good question. I just asked the band, will let you know....

EDIT: Not at this moment but if enough folks ask for it, Debur might do it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #7,597 of 29,660
Love this absolutely... The thing I like about Deftones is how Chino manages to carry an entire album on the shoulders of his vocal ability.  I think only Jonas Renkse and maybe Akerfeldt could beat him at that. This is not a generalization and I don't mean to say Chino is the greatest vocalist ever but I like bands who always try to work at their strengths.

Also, this is a really good album as a whole and I didn't really expect that.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #7,598 of 29,660
Quote:
Love this absolutely... The thing I like about Deftones is how Chino manages to make ability carry an entire album on the shoulders of his vocal ability.  I think only Jonas Renkse and maybe Akerfeldt could beat him at that. This is not a generalization and I don't mean to say Chino is the greatest vocalist ever but I like bands who always try to work at their strengths.

I agree. Chino is one of the most unique vocalist today. I'm really diggin' the album, too.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #7,599 of 29,660
Quote:

I agree. Chino is one of the most unique vocalist today. I'm really diggin' the album, too.

Is it only me, but I think he is always thinking about sex while singing. Reminds me of Henry Miller - The Rosy Crucifixion, Tropic Of Cancer and Capricorn and Anais Nin..

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #7,600 of 29,660
Love this absolutely... The thing I like about Deftones is how Chino manages to carry an entire album on the shoulders of his vocal ability.  I think only Jonas Renkse and maybe Akerfeldt could beat him at that. This is not a generalization and I don't mean to say Chino is the greatest vocalist ever but I like bands who always try to work at their strengths.

I usually check the Steve Hoffman forums for this, but it isn't there. Any idea whether the hi res version on hd tracks is worth it over the cd?

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #7,601 of 29,660
There's a strong melodramatic-intimacy to his singing. But it contains so many different feelings to me: pain, existentialism, sensualism, aggression, pureness...  He's definitely the flagship of Deftones.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #7,602 of 29,660
Quote:
As promised, my review of Words Of Farewell's Immersion.

http://www.metal-fi.com/words-of-farewell-immersion/

The sugar coated comment because I think you guys are swell and all:
Nice review! Good to see you guys are crunching out reviews and getting that Metal-Fi content in there. The reviews are easy to read and touch on enough subjects to give the reader a decent idea about the album. Ofcourse opinions are like genitals right, everyone's got one (or two in some cases) so your opinion about an album might differ from mine but it's always good to read a well-written review. So kudos. Anyway I got a little nephew that might like this band. Seriously. Gonna send it his way...  

What I really think:
...Ooooorrr maybe I won't send it his way because I want him to actually listen to good music. C'mon man, this sounds like a trancecore Soilwork with a really bad vocalist. Every forced vocal line is doubled, laden with effects and pushed back in the mix to camouflage the lack of conviction. The guitars sound lifeless and re-amped to smithereens, the drums sound like a cut 'n paste Addictive Drums trigger demo, the synths are nothing but standard arpeggiator-sweeps from a 1999 Korg Triton (really, I recognise them. That pad they use is called Korg Moon Jam) and the compositions are a bland and predictable mess of rejected Soilwork and Scar Symmetry riffs with enough bubblegum synthpop hooks to make sure they sell some girlies after the show as well. This is the stuff Nuclear Blast play in their elevator and it's as metal as a pink balloon. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #7,603 of 29,660
Quote:

Nice review! Good to see you guys are crunching out reviews and getting that Metal-Fi content in there. The reviews are easy to read and touch on enough subjects to give the reader a decent idea about the album. Ofcourse opinions are like genitals right, everyone's got one (or two in some cases) so your opinion about an album might differ from mine but it's always good to read a well-written review. So kudos. Anyway I got a little nephew that might like this band. Seriously. Gonna send it his way...  

What I really think:
...Ooooorrr maybe I won't send it his way because I want him to actually listen to good music. C'mon man, this sounds like a trancecore Soilwork with a really bad vocalist. Every forced vocal line is doubled, laden with effects and pushed back in the mix to camouflage the lack of conviction. The guitars sound lifeless and re-amped to smithereens, the drums sound like a cut 'n paste Addictive Drums trigger demo, the synths are nothing but standard arpeggiator-sweeps from a 1999 Korg Triton (really, I recognise them. That pad they use is called Korg Moon Jam) and the compositions are a bland and predictable mess of rejected Soilwork and Scar Symmetry riffs with enough bubblegum synthpop hooks to make sure they sell some girlies after the show as well. This is the stuff Nuclear Blast play in their elevator and it's as metal as a pink balloon. 

LOL... Whatever you say the album is good for a Heavy Metal Disco party. Easy listenin !!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #7,604 of 29,660
Quote:

What I really think:

Haha, that last line was slick. I don't dislike the song as much as you, but I'm not doing naked cartwheels over it either. It was alright.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #7,605 of 29,660
Quote:

What I really think:

actually i agree 100% with this.  i can dig a lot of metalcore stuff, but not this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back