Lets Talk Metal
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #5,296 of 29,663

Quote:
I like resolution, but can't decide if I like it more than Wrath. Some more spins....

Quote:
Yeah I definitely noticed some moments where they start channeling opeth.  It's interesting and doesn't seem out of place at all.  D. Randall Blythe's mixing his old higher pitched screams from new american gospel also adds a lot to the album.  

Say what you want about lamb of god, but you can listen to any person in their band play a riff and you instantly know what band they are from.  I enjoy their sound, and this is a solid release.  For those into the whole american metal thing this is a great album.  Machine head's last album has more excellent songs on it with some major duds mixed in(for me anyways).  This one has a few excellent songs and the rest are good. 

Some gems include:

The Undertow
The Number Six
Invictus
Insurrection (this song is something totally different for them and the best on the cd)
King Me (another totally different song for them.  Also great.)

@ObeyurMaster  I was into Metalcore a little too much, somewhere towards the end of 2010. For me Ashes of The Wake was the highlight and then somehow I got disconnected from Lamb of God and maybe that is why  I didn't get into Wrath.

@VulgarDisplay  I said I like Resolution but I feel if they carry on with the newer sound the next album would be a real gem(fingers crossed).

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5,297 of 29,663
does anyone find it difficult to listen to insomnium after they've gotten themselves quality headphones?
Through my x10 everything sounds just awful, and it ruins my ability to appreciate them. Vocals are veiled, drums distorted, and full of artifacts. It's especially problematic on Across the Dark.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I can't tell you how disappointed I was in the production of the "One For Sorrow" release. I am using a JH16P/JH3A system as my primary rig.

Even though "One For Sorrow" is a decent release, their next one is make or break in my eyes. If they can't evolve or minimally refine their formula, I am going to start to lose interest. Some of the more progressive elements on "One For Sorrow" are a step in the right direction.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,298 of 29,663
My main problem with insomnium is that they can't seem to put together solid, clean production to save their life. Their music constantly amazes me, but it's almost painful to listen to their unrefined recordings.

Reminds me of the glorious burden. Iced Earth normally had wonderfully mastered albums, then for some inexplicable reason the glorious burden sounded like it was super compressed even as CD audio. It's bad times when a CD sounds lower than 128k.

Shame, because I would have enjoyed Tim's work more if it weren't for that setback, and that was back before I was really serious about audio quality. x.x

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,299 of 29,663

Quote:
My main problem with insomnium is that they can't seem to put together solid, clean production to save their life. Their music constantly amazes me, but it's almost painful to listen to their unrefined recordings.
Reminds me of the glorious burden. Iced Earth normally had wonderfully mastered albums, then for some inexplicable reason the glorious burden sounded like it was super compressed even as CD audio. It's bad times when a CD sounds lower than 128k.
Shame, because I would have enjoyed Tim's work more if it weren't for that setback, and that was back before I was really serious about audio quality. x.x

I'm afraid to listen to Insomnium through a quality headphone setup.  Even with my craptastic speakers I can't believe how bad their albums sound.  I own all but 2 of them (those 2 were iTunes downloads) but I was convinced initially that the rips were somehow screwed up, regardless of the AccurateRip results, because of how terrible they sounded.  But it seems that the production is to blame and not my DAE hardware.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5,300 of 29,663
Quote:

I think everyone should check the new Lamb of God release. I have just started listening and guess what, they are trying to be Proggier. Cant comment if I like it, yet

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I'll comment anyway.  Truthfully, I didn't really like it that much.  I'm not saying that I dislike it, but nothing really stood out to me after the first listen.  I'll have to give it another go, but my initial impression was that it was decent but nothing to get excited about.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #5,301 of 29,663
Wow, three albums in two years including the BSA release, Toumas is a busy guy! I'm curious how this record will turn out without Lars, and presumably without clean vocals.

Finnish melodic death metallers Before The Dawn return after living through a phase of changes and uncertainty. The band's upcoming album, entitled Rise Of The Phoenix, will arise from the ashes on April 27th, 2012. It is their seventh studio album and at the same time the second release via Nuclear Blast Records.

The perfectly fitting phoenix symbolism was chosen prudently as main man, vocalist and guitarist Tuomas Saukkonen explains: "Massive changes in the line-up during 2011 ended an era of great frustration and brought back 110% dedication and professionalism into the band. The newfound energy and motivation steered us into a victorious European tour and made it possible to produce the strongest, fastest, heaviest and definitely the most epic Before The Dawn album so far!"

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5,302 of 29,663
Ok, SOOoooo I finally listened to the new Swallow the Sun all the way through. It reminds me of 2007's Hope a lot, I think the band wanted to explore that direction more. I definitely was not expecting so much of it to be done with clean vocals, and if Mikko had not improved his singing to the level that he did, it would've been a pretty bad album. Instead it's very good, verging on excellent. I don't really "get" the title track, maybe that will take more listens. From thereon though it's very solid. I enjoyed the progressive elements and the excellent production really benefits the dense, gloomy atmosphere (pay attention Insomnium). The only other issue I had was with the spoken word elements, particularly on Labyrinth of London. Those went on for WAY too long, it started to feel like talking over the album instead of being a part of it.

Overall I'd rate it about the same level as Hope. Better than New Moon, not as good as the first two albums. 8/10.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5,303 of 29,663
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #5,304 of 29,663

Quote:
I can't tell you how disappointed I was in the production of the "One For Sorrow" release. I am using a JH16P/JH3A system as my primary rig.
Even though "One For Sorrow" is a decent release, their next one is make or break in my eyes. If they can't evolve or minimally refine their formula, I am going to start to lose interest. Some of the more progressive elements on "One For Sorrow" are a step in the right direction.

It's so funny to see this discussion.  The other day I was trying to listen to "one for sorrow" and I thought there was something wrong with my system.  I literally checked to make sure that my headphones were plugged in correctly.  It was an aweful hollow sound like when your headphone cable isn't getting the right connection.  When that didn't work I started to check all my other connections.  Before I could figure out what was wrong I had to run.  Apparently the album is what was wrong.
beyersmile.png

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5,305 of 29,663
Oh and btw, listening to Resolution right now.  Head and shoulders better than Wrath.  That album was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.   I haven't really been into LOG for years but I liked them back in the day so I foolishly keep giving their new albums a try.  On first listen I think Resolution is my favorite since Ashes of the Wake.
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #5,306 of 29,663

Quote:
Oh and btw, listening to Resolution right now.  Head and shoulders better than Wrath.  That album was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.   I haven't really been into LOG for years but I liked them back in the day so I foolishly keep giving their new albums a try.  On first listen I think Resolution is my favorite since Ashes of the Wake.
L3000.gif

Right On. \m/

" I foolishly keep giving their new albums a try"

"I think Resolution is my favorite since Ashes of the Wake."

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #5,307 of 29,663

Quote:
L3000.gif

I agree after Ashes they went a little downhill. I will have to try the new one. Their drummer is epic.

Burn the Priest (1999)    I give it a 4 out of 10 
   New American Gospel (2000)  9 
   As the Palaces Burn (2003) 10
   Ashes of the Wake (2004) 10
   Sacrament (2006) 5
   Wrath (2009) 3

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #5,308 of 29,663

Quote:

I agree after Ashes they went a little downhill. I will have to try the new one. Their drummer is epic.

Burn the Priest (1999)    I give it a 4 out of 10 
   New American Gospel (2000)  9 
   As the Palaces Burn (2003) 10
   Ashes of the Wake (2004) 10
   Sacrament (2006) 5
   Wrath (2009) 3

Resolution (2012) 7.5 out of 10

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5,309 of 29,663

Quote:
I'm afraid to listen to Insomnium through a quality headphone setup.  Even with my craptastic speakers I can't believe how bad their albums sound.  I own all but 2 of them (those 2 were iTunes downloads) but I was convinced initially that the rips were somehow screwed up, regardless of the AccurateRip results, because of how terrible they sounded.  But it seems that the production is to blame and not my DAE hardware.

Across The Dark sounds ok-ish, but otherwise yeah, Insomnium albums sound really bad, but not to the point that I find them unlistenable. So far the only album that's produced so badly that I literally cannot stand to listen to it is Kalmah's 12 Gauge. Your experience reminds me of when I first heard Sword To A Great Divide, it was a 320 MP3 rip, and the sound was such a mess I figured it just had to be a transcode, even though the spectrum looked fine. It wasn't until I heard the CD that I released nope, that's just how bad the damn thing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back