Lets Talk Metal
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5,221 of 29,662

Quote:
Portuguese metallers Moonspell have announced that their upcoming new album will be entitled Alpha Noir and will be released on April 27th via Napalm Records. The album was produced and mixed by Tue Madsen.

Fernando Ribeiro posted the following on the band's Facebook page: "Never a Moonspell album came so close to be absolute like the new opus magna (masterpiece) Alpha Noir, scheduled to be proudly released by Napalm Records on the 27th of April."

"Moonspell has tapped a notch into their energy filled gothic metal by adding a guitar wall forged by timeless artists like Bathory, King Diamond or in a twist of the knife to old thrash metal legends like Onslaught, Metallica early works or even Testament and Artillery, making Alpha Noir a truly surprising and fresh record where all the songs have a climax effect about them, a high tension charm that will for sure electricize audiences when played on a stage."

Maybe the new album will a magnum opus, but one thing I'm sure, Fernando doesn't lack pomposity.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,222 of 29,662

Quote:
AW doesn't do it for me. They are just all over the map stylistically, they need to figure out what sort of music they want to play and then get good at it.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Moonspell, they are really what got me into gothic metal. They're rooted more in black metal, though as with Graveworm I prefer their more modern stuff.

that....was ******* tyte

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #5,223 of 29,662

AW doesn't do it for me. They are just all over the map stylistically, they need to figure out what sort of music they want to play and then get good at it.

Who is the BME now? DaveBSC, for me, go listen to the album and give your *real* review. I just gave a listen. The great thing about AW, they are good at A LOT. I saw them live and they are very talented. Please, listen then review. I was kinda shocked by this album on several levels.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #5,224 of 29,662

Quote:
Just started listening to them. Don't know why I didn't do this earlier since I'm Taiwanese but I started looking up Taiwanese metal bands. I like the folk elements they include but otherwise the music doesn't stand out quite yet. Going to give it a few go arounds though.

BTW, if anyone knows any other awesome Taiwan metal bands that would be awesome. My taste is black or death metal with folk elements. Favorite band is Moonsorrow.

You might like Anthelion. When I see someone bring up a "competing" band for Cthonic (or vice versa), Anthelion seems to come up a lot. I personally prefer some aspects of Chthonic more. My favorite Chthonic album is Mirror of Retribution, though some of their older stuff is very close behind.

This is my first time visiting this thread, so I'm sure this has been brought up.. But you might want to take a look at Encyclopedia Metallum and use their browse by country option. http://www.metal-archives.com/

Quote:
Takasago is a ******* ****ty album. Skip it any listen to ANY of chthonic's older works.
Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

When I first got the album, I was incredibly disappointed, but it kind of grew on me. As a whole album, it's not one of my favorites, but there are a few songs that I've come to really like.

I'm looking for any recommendations for something kind of along the lines of atmospheric/shoegaze black metal. I pick up Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch about a year ago and it has been one of my favorite albums since I first listened to it. Their other stuff never really got my attention though. Another album I discovered recently is Dying Away in the Deep Fall by Dopamine (Chinese black metal). I know that stuff like Alcest and Fen are often recommended, but I figured I'd see if there were other recommendations here. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows of places to order hard to find albums, I'd really appreciate it. Specifically, I've been trying to find some stuff from some asian bands. I really like that Dopamine album I mentioned, but I couldn't find a physical copy and the download I found wasn't the best quality. There are a few others I'm looking for too.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #5,225 of 29,662
You might like Anthelion. When I see someone bring up a "competing" band for Cthonic (or vice versa), Anthelion seems to come up a lot. I personally prefer some aspects of Chthonic more. My favorite Chthonic album is Mirror of Retribution, though some of their older stuff is very close behind.

This is my first time visiting this thread, so I'm sure this has been brought up.. But you might want to take a look at Encyclopedia Metallum and use their browse by country option. http://www.metal-archives.com/

When I first got the album, I was incredibly disappointed, but it kind of grew on me. As a whole album, it's not one of my favorites, but there are a few songs that I've come to really like.

I'm looking for any recommendations for something kind of along the lines of atmospheric/shoegaze black metal. I pick up Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch about a year ago and it has been one of my favorite albums since I first listened to it. Their other stuff never really got my attention though. Another album I discovered recently is Dying Away in the Deep Fall by Dopamine (Chinese black metal). I know that stuff like Alcest and Fen are often recommended, but I figured I'd see if there were other recommendations here. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows of places to order hard to find albums, I'd really appreciate it. Specifically, I've been trying to find some stuff from some asian bands. I really like that Dopamine album I mentioned, but I couldn't find a physical copy and the download I found wasn't the best quality. There are a few others I'm looking for too.

If you like Agalloch's (one of my favs) Ashes, check out Alda's Tahoma release last year. Can't go wrong.

So far as others mentioned already, eBay has been my best bet to buy physical albums...

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #5,226 of 29,662

Quote:

I'm looking for any recommendations for something kind of along the lines of atmospheric/shoegaze black metal.

Here we go again! :) Some bands aren't exactely blackgaze but you'll still like 'em I think. In alphabetical order since I'm just posting them from my current J. River Media 17 playlist. :)

Altar of Plagues, Amesoeurs, Caïna, Dawn, Deafheaven, Dornenreich, Falloch, Fen, Feos, Gris, Horn, Lantlos, Les Discrets, Mount Eerie, Oskoreien, Sleeping Peonies, Wolves in the Throneroom, Woods of Desolation, Worrytrain... More?

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,229 of 29,662
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check those out.

Quote:

Me? Just looking for something a bit different 
tongue.gif
 I usually prefer straight up black metal.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,231 of 29,662
Just got around to listening to Les Voyages de L'âme... all I can say is wow. I don't think words can describe how much I love this album. This is going to be in my rotation for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back