Lets Talk Metal
Dec 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #5,041 of 29,661

Quote:

2 black metal bands I've really been enjoying are Limbionic Art and Aurora Borealis.  Definitely check out Aurora Borealis, the band put all of their albums up for free download on their website.  Great black metal, and I'm sure if you enjoyed Emperor and Dissection, then you will like them.

Yes, nice symphonic Black Metal. If you like those you'll also like Obtained Enslavement, Odium or Sirius. Me, I've bought something that passed me by when it came out (although I had their previous releases) and been it enjoying more and more: Deathspell Omega's "Paracletus", pretty good stuff, sure it has been talked here before.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #5,042 of 29,661
Dec 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #5,043 of 29,661
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #5,045 of 29,661

Quote:
The first list has many releases which are NOT 2011 but 2010 (Kvelertak, Inquisition, etc.). Bogus.
The second list presents some new bands I need to go check out before I finalize my list so kudos wrathzombie!

Yeah, I haven't heard any band except Craft.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #5,046 of 29,661
Yeah, I haven't heard any band except Craft.

I knew I think all of them except the top three.

So apparently, if you like Cormorant, I venture you will like Obsequiae. Here is their latest streaming online:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/09/interview-obsequiae/

Atriarch's latest can be heard on Bandcamp:

http://releases.seventhrule.com/album/forever-the-end

I must say that Atriarch's sludgy feel is not for me (at least on first listen, I might warm up to it).

Obsequiae however (as I inferred above) is quite solid. The dual guitar polyrythmic riffage is excellent. Check out "Atonement" and "The Starlit Shore."

@Soup: You have to listen to this now if you haven't already.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #5,048 of 29,661

Quote:

Nice lists. Good to see Jungle Rot get some accolades. They have been the underdogs for years and years. I would put it along with Vader as my favorite Death Metal release of 2011

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #5,050 of 29,661
With all these best-of-2011 lists floating around, might I suggest Top 5-of-all-time lists? I'm still waiting on some of the albums you guys recommended, and I'm really curious to hear what your favourite pieces are and see if there's something else I haven't heard that's worth getting.

My list goes like this:

1: 'Still Life' - Opeth
2: 'Deliverance' - Opeth (talk about audiophile grade death metal)
3: 'Blackwater Park' - Opeth
4: 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' - Emperor
5: 'Clandestine' - Entombed

Honorable mention goes to 'Slaughter of the Soul' - At the Gates, 'Dirt' - Alice in Chains, 'Horror Show' - Iced Earth, 'V: The New Mythology Suite' - Symphony X, 'Seasons in the Abyss' - Slayer.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #5,051 of 29,661

I would have Blackwater Park in my list too.
Quote:
With all these best-of-2011 lists floating around, might I suggest Top 5-of-all-time lists? I'm still waiting on some of the albums you guys recommended, and I'm really curious to hear what your favourite pieces are and see if there's something else I haven't heard that's worth getting.

My list goes like this:

Honorable mention goes to 'Slaughter of the Soul' - At the Gates, 'Dirt' - Alice in Chains, 'Horror Show' - Iced Earth, 'V: The New Mythology Suite' - Symphony X, 'Seasons in the Abyss' - Slayer.

My Top Five:

1. Death - Sounds of Perseverance
2. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
3. Blackwater Park - Opeth
4. Frail Words Collapse - As I Lay Dying
5. IronMaiden - Number of The Beast

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #5,052 of 29,661
Good to see a Maiden album on that list. Is there actually anyone who likes Iron Maiden's "Virtual XI" with Blaze? Most of my friends swear with Bruce but I really like that cd, all the songs go very well with his voice :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #5,054 of 29,661

Quote:
Good to see a Maiden album on that list. Is there actually anyone who likes Iron Maiden's "Virtual XI" with Blaze? Most of my friends swear with Bruce but I really like that cd, all the songs go very well with his voice :)

I love 'Killers' - Paul Di'Anno

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #5,055 of 29,661

Quote:

Man, that's a fine list. I just happen to have Deliverance, Blackwater Park and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk on vinyl. Still Life is hard to find and expensive on vinyl and an original of Clandestine would most likely look like it went through a war.

I don't think I could choose five? It is easy to choose five normal rock records. In extreme metal my favorites change all the time but some last for years and years. 

Maybe?

Dimmu Bogir......Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Dark Funeral......In The Sign
Slayer......Reign On Blood
Vader......De Profundis
King Diamond .......Abigail       

Not in any order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back