Lets Talk Metal
Apr 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3,031 of 29,663

Quote:

I do not know what I think of Fallen, Belus felt so comfy like a familiar place that you visit from your past. It is like one of those recordings were you kind of know each note before they are played, then surprised by breaks but they fit perfect. I still remember how I could not understand his first couple of albums. They were a style of music that you had to get used to. If Fallen ends up just being contrived then it's contrived. I could never understand how any artist could keep putting out records like a machine. I have always felt that every human could only put out a hand full. I agree with you. The strange part to is I hear all these other influences in his music that were never there before. When you put on one of his early albums you were taken to an original feeling, an original style of music that never existed before. We are very lucky none the less!

Still I have never been able to make right away opinions on his work? Who knows why?

I know precisely what you mean.

*edit* Today I am going to see Sonata Arctica live in a bar gig. Its going to be a sweet night!

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #3,032 of 29,663

Quote:
I'm not very into metal

NO! I wont believe it! As for this, I'll just quote from AMG's review as I think he sums this up quite well.

"This is fake, plastic and lacking in substance and built to sell records. And it will sell records, largely because it appeals to the lowest common denominator."

It's like Ace of Base with some guitars and harsh vocals thrown in. If you'd like to hear some industrial\pop-ish metal that's a little less embarrassing check out Peter Tagtgren's Pain project.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #3,033 of 29,663

Quote:
finland rocks for music and is the land of metal imo.

Finland does rock, but... it's really only the land of certain kinds of metal, Folk, Extreme/Power, and Symphonic/Power, with some outliers in the progressive, melodic death/Gothenburg, and death/doom styles. If you want black metal or some old fashioned brutal death, you'll need to head next door or two.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #3,034 of 29,663

Quote:
Finland does rock, but... it's really only the land of certain kinds of metal, Folk, Extreme/Power, and Symphonic/Power, with some outliers in the progressive, melodic death/Gothenburg, and death/doom styles. If you want black metal or some old fashioned brutal death, you'll need to head next door or two.

sweden is the gothenburg and death metal scene, and norway is the black metal scene. correct me if i am wrong.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3,036 of 29,663

Quote:
NO! I wont believe it! As for this, I'll just quote from AMG's review as I think he sums this up quite well.

"This is fake, plastic and lacking in substance and built to sell records. And it will sell records, largely because it appeals to the lowest common denominator."

It's like Ace of Base with some guitars and harsh vocals thrown in. If you'd like to hear some industrial\pop-ish metal that's a little less embarrassing check out Peter Tagtgren's Pain project.

It is *just* me or do the musical folks on this list prefer to see videos of *new(er)* artists actually playing the craft then some concept video.  I am not condemning all new artists making a concept video.  BUT, at least in the heavy metal world, it seems to me that there is a sort of rite of passage for bands to present their musicianship up front.

I don't know, I think rehab is rubbing off on me.  Damn it.   (just kidding, just kidding).

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,037 of 29,663

Quote:
It is *just* me or do the musical folks on this list prefer to see videos of *new(er)* artists actually playing the craft then some concept video.  I am not condemning all new artists making a concept video.  BUT, at least in the heavy metal world, it seems to me that there is a sort of rite of passage for bands to present their musicianship up front.

I don't know, I think rehab is rubbing off on me.  Damn it.   (just kidding, just kidding).

I much prefer live playing to some kind of concept video. You watch a concept video once and then you move on, whereas I watch my various live DVDs all the time. Amon Amarth's Bloodshed over Bochum for example is just awesome. If that recent Soundgarden release actually had some live footage instead of just all of their MTV videos put together on a disc, I might've actually bought it. I don't need to see the "Blackhole Sun" video again.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3,038 of 29,663
Interesting observations.  A concept video stands or falls as a singular work of art, and unless it is an exceptional work, or contains something that captures the attention of a generation, will soon be forgotten.  

A live video may have more aspects to enjoy, like musicianship and showmanship.  Flaws in a live video can be forgiven easily in the wider context of a live performance.  Sometimes the flaws can even make the experience more appealing or entertaining by making the better parts seem stronger.  You know, darkness that makes the light seem brighter.  A full length concert allows for even more ebb and flow.  Lots of opportunity for building up excitement.  Plus you can drift away then come back to it as your attention dictates.  

Enjoyment of class musicianship is fine up to a point, but I'm about the gestalt, the charisma of a live performance.  That's why I obtain lot's of new music from dime.  I'm not so strong on visual stimulation.  I'd much rather just put on audio and let my other senses do as they please.  I probably watch as little as one hour of tv a week, because it detest it so much.  Youtube is mostly a means of discovering new music, so I'm not really watching much here either.

I don't need to hear Black Hole Sun again, let alone see the video.  Never did like that song, especially for how much it was thrashed on the radio at the time.  Fine album though.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #3,039 of 29,663

Quote:
I don't need to hear Black Hole Sun again, let alone see the video.  Never did like that song, especially for how much it was thrashed on the radio at the time.  Fine album though.

I know what you mean. I usually end up skipping past it when I listen to the album. I don't dislike the song, but it was so massively overplayed in its day that its hard not to be annoyed by it. There are way better songs on the album anyway, like 4th of July and Like Suicide. I used to be a big fan of the old punk-ish Soundgarden, but I don't listen to any of the old stuff anymore. Even Badmotorfinger I find mostly tiresome except for two or three songs. On the other hand I hated Down On The Upside when it was released, and now I like it.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3,040 of 29,663
Good god Sonata Arctica gig sucked. This was the first time I saw them live and I didnt exactly except much from them (I am not a fan) but 9/10 of the songs they played were the "Radio friendly" stuff. I mean, where were the guitar mayhems from the time when they were known as Stratovarius copy-cats? Where the **** was Wolf & Raven, their fricking best song!? God damnit I was dissapointed, but atleast the booze was good.

Then we ventured to some hipster bar because my friends wife was there at the moment, kinda "fullfilling" my night... I need more beer.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #3,041 of 29,663

Quote:
Good god Sonata Arctica gig sucked. This was the first time I saw them live and I didnt exactly except much from them (I am not a fan) but 9/10 of the songs they played were the "Radio friendly" stuff. I mean, where were the guitar mayhems from the time when they were known as Stratovarius copy-cats? Where the **** was Wolf & Raven, their fricking best song!? God damnit I was dissapointed, but atleast the booze was good.

Then we ventured to some hipster bar because my friends wife was there at the moment, kinda "fullfilling" my night... I need more beer.

*sigh* I was more drunk than I though when writing that. How could I even write straight? Yes, Sonata gig was a dissapointment, but I did have a good time with my friends. Hipster bar included. That is more my drunken prejudice talking, those scarf and thick framed glasses wearing people creep me out... :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3,042 of 29,663
just found these guys, Heavy Blog is Heavy reviewed the cd, and its pretty stellar.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #3,043 of 29,663
Slugathor may have called it quits but here is another oldschool deathmetal band from Finland, Krypts. So far they have released only one demo and one EP but holy crap do they sound awesome!

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3,045 of 29,663
I've become more and more and fan of Animals as Leaders, an instrumental, progressive metal band from the US. I like the recording/production as well, really clean and good sounding metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back