Lets Talk Metal
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3,001 of 29,661
i know jari hasn't released anything new in a long time but who enjoys wintersun and is looking forward to time as much as i am.(i'm a huge fan btw, wintersun being my favorite band)

I keep waiting, after a few years, but it never comes out. A very appropiate name for the album :wink:

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3,002 of 29,661

Quote:
Quote:
i know jari hasn't released anything new in a long time but who enjoys wintersun and is looking forward to time as much as i am.(i'm a huge fan btw, wintersun being my favorite band)

I keep waiting, after a few years, but it never comes out. A very appropiate name for the album
wink.gif

i got to speak to Jari in a live text chat today and he said that the album is for the most part done, he just has to do a tour to get the funding for the new gear he needs for mixing. so i would say its out by 2012.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3,004 of 29,661
Getting a strong Vintersorg vibe out of the above song at the beginning. It snaps out of it though. Good song. :)

I have been listening this song for several months now, since last summer: Horn - Landscapes On Hold II. I have checked out the rest Horn has done and frankly I dont like it at all (much prefer Drudkh above it) but this particular song is nothing short of masterpiece! Starts out with catchy riff, AND has a very strong build-up through the damn song, and finally the quiet part at 6:12 gives me positive goosebumps. What do you think?

Frankly, this particular song is pretty much on tie with Evilfeast - Lost Horizons Of Wisdom for my favourite Black Metal song ever. I dont get it why I dont like the rest of this bands output. Guitar tone perhaps? :/

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #3,005 of 29,661

Quote:
I have been listening this song for several months now, since last summer: Horn - Landscapes On Hold II. I have checked out the rest Horn has done and frankly I dont like it at all (much prefer Drudkh above it) but this particular song is nothing short of masterpiece! Starts out with catchy riff, AND has a very strong build-up through the damn song, and finally the quiet part at 6:12 gives me positive goosebumps. What do you think?

Digging this. Love the production as well. Sounds like you're right there when they're playing it. Reminds me a little (just a little) of Dornenreich, as it combines doom riffs, black metal, vokills, clean singing and whispering to create a foresty, melancholic yet uplifting vibe. Dornenreich is more theatrical though. There's a little old Satyricon in there too. You got a 320kbps version of this?

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #3,006 of 29,661
So I just heard the new Norther... stick a fork in em', the departure of Petri Lindroos has clearly killed this band. The music itself is melodic death in it's most tired, worn out form. Everything on here you've heard done before and done better. The harsh vocals from Aleksi Sihvonen are adequate if rather generic, but the clean vocals (I'm not sure who is doing clean vox here) are HORRIBLE - somebody is trying to bring back glam-rock here. Just a stunningly bad release overall.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,007 of 29,661

Quote:
Digging this. Love the production as well. Sounds like you're right there when they're playing it. Reminds me a little (just a little) of Dornenreich, as it combines doom riffs, black metal, vokills, clean singing and whispering to create a foresty, melancholic yet uplifting vibe. Dornenreich is more theatrical though. There's a little old Satyricon in there too. You got a 320kbps version of this?

Unfortunately no. Couldnt find one and I am hestitant to buy the whole album just for this damn song no matter how awesome it is. :/

I have to check out the Dornenreich though. Any recommendations where to start?

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #3,008 of 29,661

Quote:
So I just heard the new Norther... stick a fork in em', the departure of Petri Lindroos has clearly killed this band. The music itself is melodic death in it's most tired, worn out form. Everything on here you've heard done before and done better. The harsh vocals from Aleksi Sihvonen are adequate if rather generic, but the clean vocals (I'm not sure who is doing clean vox here) are HORRIBLE - somebody is trying to bring back glam-rock here. Just a stunningly bad release overall.

I havent cared about Norther since I heard their first album ages ago when it was new. I thought it was generic back then to tell the truth. But now I really have to hear this new one if it is that bad! :D

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,009 of 29,661

Quote:
I havent cared about Norther since I heard their first album ages ago when it was new. I thought it was generic back then to tell the truth. But now I really have to hear this new one if it is that bad! :D

In the beginning Norther was criticized (somewhat rightfully), for being a COB clone. Starting with Mirror of Madness Norther started to get it together though, and I think Death Unlimited and Till Death Unites Us are both enjoyable to listen to. Things went sour with N, where some mediocre clean vocals afflicted too many songs, and there are also several really cheesy ballads. At least parts of N still have some redeeming qualities though. With the latest, there are no redeeming qualities. It's all terrible.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #3,010 of 29,661

Quote:
In the beginning Norther was criticized (somewhat rightfully), for being a COB clone. Starting with Mirror of Madness Norther started to get it together though, and I think Death Unlimited and Till Death Unites Us are both enjoyable to listen to. Things went sour with N, where some mediocre clean vocals afflicted too many songs, and there are also several really cheesy ballads. At least parts of N still have some redeeming qualities though. With the latest, there are no redeeming qualities. It's all terrible.

I'm with MaZA.  I never really cared for Norther.  When I started to get into MeloDeath, Norther was continually suggested to me by several folks as one of the defacto bands of the genre.  As you stated, Death Unlimited is not a bad album but I still felt it was mediocre.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #3,011 of 29,661
Just finished listening to the whole Periphery album, Periphery. They have some great songs. I like the singer's voice and different singing style. 

The musicianship of this album is very high. The guitarist himself alone (Misha "Bulb" Mansoor) is a beast. Gotta love Zyglrox opening tapping. And the closing song "Racecar" is a short story by itself. It is a good buy indeed.

I also received yesterday (apart from this album), Scurrilous and The parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues (Part 1 of a 2 album series), albums I will listen to in between today and tomorrow (even if I already streamed Scurrilous as a whole when it was available). 

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3,012 of 29,661
who here has heard abinchova's first album.

tell me what you think.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #3,013 of 29,661
Haven't heard them before. I liked folk/viking metal some time ago. Now I prefer other metal subgenres. I really liked Ensiferum, though. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #3,014 of 29,661
i found a new band called whispered that sings about samurais and japanese stuff. here's the catch they are melodic death metal from finland and they a e incorporating japanese instruments. check them out.

ps this song has a long intro.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #3,015 of 29,661

It's been 11 long years and now the world will see the return of Burzum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back