Lets Talk Metal
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2,776 of 29,665
As promised, I caught the Finnish Metal Tour last night.  I missed Barren Earth (damn!), but caught Rotten Sound (not my thing).  Ensiferum played second-last, and they were amazing, the best of three shows I've seen from them yet.  They played a very long set, which made up for Finntroll's shorter headliner set.  Finntroll were all sick as dogs, and they were very apologetic about being unable to play longer.  What they did play, they played awesomely.  The pit was huge and crazy - too crazy for an old fart like me.

All in all, it was an excellent night!  I hope those guys come back to Western Canada again soon.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,778 of 29,665

Quote:
I really have a hard time believing that the Japanese mixes albums better than the rest of the world, considering that many J-Pop and J-Rock albums I have heard are some of the most brickwalled garbage I have ever heard. If you haven't heard a brickwalled album from Japan, most likely you have been picking that ones that are mixed a long time ago. Most albums released nowadays are brickwalled to death, so you either have to learn to live with it or you have to stick to albums from the 90's.

Some, but not all of the Japanese releases from the Black Triangle era sound pretty special. Peace Sells is one of the good ones. I also agree that Japanese first pressings from 15 or 20 years ago sometimes have an edge. Now they just cost more, and sometimes you get a bonus track. SHM-CDs supposedly sound great *provided the album itself was produced properly!* but I haven't actually compared one to a regular CD pressing of the same mix/master. I'm also unsure if a ripped SHM-CD has any advantage at all. I really doubt they can blow away CDs the way a proper needle drop can. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,781 of 29,665
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I ADMIT! I love Amon Amarth's "With Oden on our side". Especially this track gives me goosebumps whenever I'm in a melancholy viking mood. 
wink_face.gif

That "Fire!" riff is just so ****ing awesome and the breakdown at 01:40 just cuts me in half. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,782 of 29,665

Quote:
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I ADMIT! I love Amon Amarth's "With Oden on our side". Especially this track gives me goosebumps whenever I'm in a melancholy viking mood. 
wink_face.gif

That "Fire!" riff is just so ****ing awesome and the breakdown at 01:40 just cuts me in half. 

ive said it several times already, Asator is definitely my favorite Amon Amarth song overall. So good choice!!

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2,783 of 29,665

Quote:
wink_face.gif

ok that song was amazing i am shocked i hadn't heard it yet considering i love amon amarth.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,784 of 29,665

Quote:
As promised, I caught the Finnish Metal Tour last night.  I missed Barren Earth (damn!), but caught Rotten Sound (not my thing).  Ensiferum played second-last, and they were amazing, the best of three shows I've seen from them yet.  They played a very long set, which made up for Finntroll's shorter headliner set.  Finntroll were all sick as dogs, and they were very apologetic about being unable to play longer.  What they did play, they played awesomely.  The pit was huge and crazy - too crazy for an old fart like me.

All in all, it was an excellent night!  I hope those guys come back to Western Canada again soon.

Speaking of Rotten Sound I'm not generally that much into Grindcore other than few songs here and there, but IMHO Rotten Sound is great. Absolutely intense grindcore in short bursts with a very slight touch of deathmetal to spice up the riffs instead of being "just" sped-up punk, and breakdowns that are actually GOOD (Deathcore bands, take a note). Just preordered their upcoming album Cursed.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,786 of 29,665
Just got back from seeing Parkway Drive in cleveland Ohio. it was a great show. there were several pretty crappy opening bands, but Parkway Drive more than made up for them. Tons of energy in the crowd and the band, and their guitarist is pretty much amazing, not just at technical ability but at writing music as well.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #2,787 of 29,665

Quote:
Just got back from seeing Parkway Drive in cleveland Ohio. it was a great show. there were several pretty crappy opening bands, but Parkway Drive more than made up for them. Tons of energy in the crowd and the band, and their guitarist is pretty much amazing, not just at technical ability but at writing music as well.

You can have them, Australia are sick of them
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,789 of 29,665

Quote:
well i hope they start touring here more often...they even recorded Deep Blue here

Yeah I have probably seen them around 30-40 times when they first started out, probably like 6 years ago now. Them, I Killed The Prom Queen and Carpathian used to always tour together. Their EP and first album I really like still, but after that it all gets a bit the same for me.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,790 of 29,665
You can stream the new Before The Dawn album "Deathstar Rising" from their Facebook page. While it's not the breakthrough that New World Shadows is, overall it's a very solid effort. The only misstep I think is "Sanctuary" which just sounds kind of odd.

http://www.facebook.com/beforethedawn?v=app_178091127385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back