Lets Talk Metal
Feb 15, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,761 of 29,660
Finally got around to ripping my Japanese "remasters" of Megadeth's Peace Sells and Rust in Peace (TOCP-70627 and TOCP-70629, respectively). So much for "remastering" because they're both almost completely brickwalled - which begs me to ask, what the hell happened? I own a lot of Japanese remasters of other albums (including others from EMI Japan, same source as these Megadeth albums) and none of them have been brickwalled, so what happened with these? I haven't listened to either yet but the waveforms are not promising:

Peace Sells - "Wake Up Dead"

Rust in Peace - "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due"

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #2,762 of 29,660

Quote:
DaveBSC, have you seen the Finnish Metal Tour yet?  I'm going tomorrow in Edmonton and can't wait!  I was just checking out Barren Ground's myspace, and they sound really good despite third billing.  I've seen Finntroll and Ensiferum before, and they both deliver the goods.  Woo!

I have not. I like Ensiferum, but I've never been much of a Finntroll fan.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #2,763 of 29,660

Quote:
Finally got around to ripping my Japanese "remasters" of Megadeth's Peace Sells and Rust in Peace (TOCP-70627 and TOCP-70629, respectively). So much for "remastering" because they're both almost completely brickwalled - which begs me to ask, what the hell happened? I own a lot of Japanese remasters of other albums (including others from EMI Japan, same source as these Megadeth albums) and none of them have been brickwalled, so what happened with these? I haven't listened to either yet but the waveforms are not promising:

I'm unsure if these are just Japanese issues of the standard Megadeth remasters, or something else? Are the waveforms identical to the US market remasters? As far as sound quality is concerned, your best bet are needle drops of the original vinyl pressings, (not the current 180g vinyl), followed by the Black Triangle CD release of Peace Sells, and otherwise just stick to the original CD pressings. In my opinion the only Megadeth remasters that shouldn't go straight in the trash are the original Killing Is My Business, and the MFSL version of Countdown.

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,765 of 29,660
Melvins92, you're barking up the wrong tree. Everyone in here only likes power and folk metal. 
evil_smiley.gif

Check this band out for some face ripping postmetal/sludge.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #2,766 of 29,660

Quote:

Holy crap!

I have both the original releases (Peace Sells Capitol Recs CDP 7 46370 2 1986, Rust In Peace Capitol Recs CDP 79 19352) and the Peace Sells 2004 remaster (Capitol Recs 724359862422) and they're very good. Looking at the waveforms they look very spacy and uncompressed settling at around 0.5. Don't have the remaster with me to check that one.

Thumbs up for whoever mentioned Atlantean Kodex, top band. On a related note this is what is spinning a lot around here:

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #2,767 of 29,660
Has anyone seen Amon Amarth live?  Just wondering what that is like....they have a headlining tour in the US now and I am debating on going...its either that or the Finnish Metal Tour (I'm with DaveBSC on this one though I am curious about Finntroll).

For some odd reasons, the Megadeth remasters sound a lot slower (in time).  Songs like Addicted to Chaos and High Speed Dirt feel like he slowed it down.  I could be crazy but that's what I hear.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2,768 of 29,660

Quote:
Has anyone seen Amon Amarth live?  Just wondering what that is like....they have a headlining tour in the US now and I am debating on going...its either that or the Finnish Metal Tour (I'm with DaveBSC on this one though I am curious about Finntroll).

For some odd reasons, the Megadeth remasters sound a lot slower (in time).  Songs like Addicted to Chaos and High Speed Dirt feel like he slowed it down.  I could be crazy but that's what I hear.

i think im gonna see Amon Amarth as well. Two entire sets every night. they're playing all of the new album, and then a more normal set of mixed older material! ill be at the cleveland show on the 3rd of may

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,769 of 29,660

Quote:

I saw Amon Amarth on their last tour.  Ensiferum opened, and both bands put on great shows.  The crowd was really crazy, with jovial fistfights and the whole works.

I saw Finntroll in a little bar in Winnipeg in 2008.  They put on a really good show.  I'm excited to see them tonight in Edmonton, with the caveat that the sound tends to be way worse in the Starlite Room (Edmonton) than it is in the Zoo (Winnipeg), due to a too-high ceiling.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,771 of 29,660
Here is my official write up of the new Neuraxis album "Asylon" that just dropped today.

http://inrevu.com/album-review-neuraxis-asylon/

Cliff notes: I wasn't impressed. It's not terrible, but there is nothing special about it.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2,773 of 29,660

Peace Sells - "Wake Up Dead"

Rust in Peace - "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due"

I really have a hard time believing that the Japanese mixes albums better than the rest of the world, considering that many J-Pop and J-Rock albums I have heard are some of the most brickwalled garbage I have ever heard. If you haven't heard a brickwalled album from Japan, most likely you have been picking that ones that are mixed a long time ago. Most albums released nowadays are brickwalled to death, so you either have to learn to live with it or you have to stick to albums from the 90's.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2,774 of 29,660

Quote:
Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Tad, Zoroaster, Watain, Eyehategod...anyone?

You'll only get noticed if you start your post with "ZOMG! BRING ME TEH HORIZON ARE SO BROOTAL!" 
wink_face.gif

I love old Entombed, Left Hand Path is a classic. I never cared for the more death&roll albums. Bolt Thrower is fun for a couple of tracks but they all rumble on in the same tempo. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I must admit I like Watain but I think those guys take themselves way too seriously. The music is good though, but not better than anything Dissection, Dawn or any of the Swedish bands from the early nineties released. I'm more of an "avant" (dumb word I know) black metal kind of guy. Lurker of Chalice, Ruins of Beverast, Twilight, Leviathan, Judas Iscariot, Silencer, Drudkh, Weakling. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,775 of 29,660
I'm more of a sludge dooom drone ambient kinda guy, just thought I'd post some bands you kids seem to enjoy.

Harvey Milk
Sleep
Black Cobra
Weedeater
Bongzilla
Om
Slough Feg
Earth
Sunn O)))
Thou
Salome
Tweak Bird
Big Business
Karp
Green and Wood
Iron Monkey
Electric Wizard
Acid King

just to name a few. Saw Watain at MDF last year, they were ok. Got in a fight with D.R.I which is sinly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back