Lets Talk Metal
Jan 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2,686 of 29,663

Quote:
Well true.  
BUT as I understand it, Dave Mustaine, Kerry King and friends all play together toward the end.  I think that is worth the price of admission alone provided all are serious about it.  And given its a US show, I would suspect some other unexpected surprises (like it would be cool if Dave played lead guitar on a Metallica tune or Jeff/Kerry played High Speed Dirt double time!, etc.).

AND my guess is these concerts are being taped so I think all acts will be in top form whatever they do (except Rust, I saw it twice, its great but enough already).

I think this concert will be great even with Metallica stinking it up a bit (though if they stick to mostly older tunes, say Lightening, Puppets, and In Justice, it would be very very cool, throw in a tune or two from Magnetic, the Black Album etc. and I would enjoy it).

If it's just to come out and hug and play "Am I Evil", meh. If it's a lot more than that it would be more interesting, (something like the amazing everybody comes out and sings/plays Cemetery Gates, for example) then yeah. I'm all for classics provided the band can still pull them off. Dave's voice isn't quite what it used to be, but that mostly doesn't matter, and Megadeth's live guitar work especially with Chris playing is nearly spotless. Kirk's "playing" on the other hand is just freaking awful. Watching him butcher the solo in One is painful, and it's not even tough to begin with.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2,688 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
Well true.  
BUT as I understand it, Dave Mustaine, Kerry King and friends all play together toward the end.  I think that is worth the price of admission alone provided all are serious about it.  And given its a US show, I would suspect some other unexpected surprises (like it would be cool if Dave played lead guitar on a Metallica tune or Jeff/Kerry played High Speed Dirt double time!, etc.).

AND my guess is these concerts are being taped so I think all acts will be in top form whatever they do (except Rust, I saw it twice, its great but enough already).

I think this concert will be great even with Metallica stinking it up a bit (though if they stick to mostly older tunes, say Lightening, Puppets, and In Justice, it would be very very cool, throw in a tune or two from Magnetic, the Black Album etc. and I would enjoy it).

If it's just to come out and hug and play "Am I Evil", meh. If it's a lot more than that it would be more interesting, (something like the amazing everybody comes out and sings/plays Cemetery Gates, for example) then yeah. I'm all for classics provided the band can still pull them off. Dave's voice isn't quite what it used to be, but that mostly doesn't matter, and Megadeth's live guitar work especially with Chris playing is nearly spotless. Kirk's "playing" on the other hand is just freaking awful. Watching him butcher the solo in One is painful, and it's not even tough to begin with.

I empathize with the above sentiments.  I do. 

HOWEVER, I believe that this concert provides a platform for fans to cherish really the roots of American Thrash Heavy Metal for the last 20+ years.  Even though with respect to sales, popularity, etc, its really the Big One and the Other Three, within the confines of the Metalverse, I think these four bands collectively have had an immense impact on metal as we know and love it.

What's funny is even though Megadeth is my favorite band, I find it very hard to listen to them.  Just worn out I suppose.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2,689 of 29,663

What's funny is even though Megadeth is my favorite band, I find it very hard to listen to them.  Just worn out I suppose.

I don't have much of an opinion about any of these 4, but I've seen them all in the past and have to say that I think Megadeth sounds the best by far.  That of course, has a lot to do with their tour engineers.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2,690 of 29,663

Quote:

I don't have much of an opinion about any of these 4, but I've seen them all in the past and have to say that I think Megadeth sounds the best by far.  That of course, has a lot to do with their tour engineers.

THAT...and the music....oh wait...  :)

As a die hard Megadeth fan, I saw Slayer with them and I thought Slayer was FANTASTIC.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2,691 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:

THAT...and the music....oh wait...  :)

As a die hard Megadeth fan, I saw Slayer with them and I thought Slayer was FANTASTIC.

Did you see them on the american carnage tour?  Because that's where I saw them.  Both bands played their songs well.  I didn't hear any flubs, or mistakes (that I was aware of).  But Slayer's sound wasn't as professional as Megadeth's and lacked that "oomph" that I expected from them.  Maybe I was expecting too much because I really "Season in the Abyss".  People will always blame a band for playing poorly or performing poorly even though it's their sounds guys who is at fault.  In this case, Slayer performed well, but didn't sound good.  The poor sound kept some of the audience from getting into.

My cousin who is a huge Testament fan thought also that Megadeth was the most enjoyable.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2,692 of 29,663
rehabitat, Negankinu, Maza and whoever I missed out who likes face ripping BM. My mates released an EP of sorts which plays I daresay plays some ****ing great BM/Crust. Great contemporary stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ej3k3v0sxa89a9
Here's a link. Just spreading the word. I recommend it.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #2,693 of 29,663

Quote:

I know what you mean. I have all of Megadeth's live DVDs, and the one I watch the most is Rude Awakening because Megadeth actually plays different stuff on it! Dread And The Fugitive Mind, Devil's Island, Burning Bridges, Hook In Mouth, and Mechanix. With the RIP live tour I thought there was an excellent opportunity after playing RIP in its entirety to play stuff that we've never heard them play live, at least not for 20 years anyway. How about Set The World Afire? How about anything from Peace Sells besides Wakeup Dead or the title track? How about High Speed Dirt, or Psychotron? How about Elysian Fields or Victory? How about Moto Psycho? Megadeth has such a rich catalog of great songs to mine, but nope.

Here comes In My Darkest Hour, She-Wolf, Trust, Symphony Of Destruction, and Peace Sells. AGAIN. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,694 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:

I know what you mean. I have all of Megadeth's live DVDs, and the one I watch the most is Rude Awakening because Megadeth actually plays different stuff on it! Dread And The Fugitive Mind, Devil's Island, Burning Bridges, Hook In Mouth, and Mechanix. With the RIP live tour I thought there was an excellent opportunity after playing RIP in its entirety to play stuff that we've never heard them play live, at least not for 20 years anyway. How about Set The World Afire? How about anything from Peace Sells besides Wakeup Dead or the title track? How about High Speed Dirt, or Psychotron? How about Elysian Fields or Victory? How about Moto Psycho? Megadeth has such a rich catalog of great songs to mine, but nope.

Here comes In My Darkest Hour, She-Wolf, Trust, Symphony Of Destruction, and Peace Sells. AGAIN. 

I never got the chance to hear Good Mourning/Black Friday live (their most sick track IMHO), Dave apparently is a Christian and refuses to play any of their darker tracks now..... I personally think its stupid, but hey to each his own. Araya from Slayer is a devout Catholic and doesn't have a problem with it
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,695 of 29,663

Quote:

I never got the chance to hear Good Mourning/Black Friday live (their most sick track IMHO), Dave apparently is a Christian and refuses to play any of their darker tracks now..... I personally think its stupid, but hey to each his own. Araya from Slayer is a devout Catholic and doesn't have a problem with it
wink.gif

Yeah, I'm not crazy about his conspiracy theory crap either, but what can you do, that's Mustaine. Bad Omen would also be great to hear live. That whole album is just a masterpiece.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,696 of 29,663

Quote:
rehabitat, Negankinu, Maza and whoever I missed out who likes face ripping BM. My mates released an EP of sorts which plays I daresay plays some ****ing great BM/Crust. Great contemporary stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ej3k3v0sxa89a9
Here's a link. Just spreading the word. I recommend it.

Thanks for the download. Will check them out and let you know what I think. :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2,700 of 29,663
Speaking of live stuff.
Iron Maiden is a lot like Megadeth always playing the same stuff live.
Although IM last tour they played new material which seem to make people mad which is why I guess these bands always play it safe live and stick to the script of the usual.
I think they chose the wrong songs from their newer stuff though basically they didn't play the great songs of their newer stuff.
Also live albums how many versions of a song I hate Run To The Hills does there have to be? Or Can I Play With Madness and a lot of others.
Yet for live released material only 1 version of of Phantom Of The Opera
frown.gif

Now a much better and popular band at picking live material is Judas Priest.
Yes they have songs they always play some they should have retired a long time ago but they also add things they have never played and bring back ones they haven't done in a long time.
Like the last tours
Never played before - Dissident Aggressor,Hell Patrol added
Haven't been played in a long time brought back -Rock Hard Ride Free,Eat Me Alive,Sinner,Freewheel Burning,Devil's Child

I would think people going to concerts are hardcore fans so a band should feel more free in what to play.
But also realize that just because the song is great on the album doesn't always equal great live.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back