Lets Talk Metal
Jan 17, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #2,641 of 29,661
Apparently Bohren started life as a hardcore band.  They are heavier than most metal bands imo.

The samples of Ghost I think Bullseye posted twenty pages back were good.  I remember some melodic elements that seemed to work well.  They're Japanese???  Nice to see people using analog gear.  Maybe that's why it sounded so good on boubtoob.

Hey Tb, are you the guy with the same avatar on dime?

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #2,644 of 29,661
BTW, thanks for the Allegaeon recommendation awhile back. I just picked it up and I am enjoying it. They remind me of The Absence quite a bit. For a debut album it's excellent, I don't think TA really got it right until their second release.

Nex of Terra in particular is a standout track for the brilliant lead parts. I think solos in melodic death metal have gotten lazier over the years to match the slower overall tempos of the songs, but these are absolutely blistering, in some ways more reminiscent of early bay area thrash or power metal than modern melodic death. I love it.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,645 of 29,661

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the Allegaeon recommendation awhile back. I just picked it up and I am enjoying it. They remind me of The Absence quite a bit. For a debut album it's excellent, I don't think TA really got it right until their second release.

Nex of Terra in particular is a standout track for the brilliant lead parts. I think solos in melodic death metal have gotten lazier over the years to match the slower overall tempos of the songs, but these are absolutely blistering, in some ways more reminiscent of early bay area thrash or power metal than modern melodic death. I love it.

I can't nail them exactly...

I actually think Angry Metal Guy's review (and I rarely agree with him) IS spot on:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/allegaeon-fragments-of-form-and-function-review/

To my ears they are combination of Meshuggah-ish (especially Fragments, and Soup's (kudos to Soups!) introduced them as technical death metal!) and modern Dark Tranq-ish sound (but with more guitar chops). 

I agree Dave, parts of Next of Terra is just pure power metal.  And yea, I love it too.  This is an AWESOME fine.

I'd like to share it with everyone (PLEASE GIVE A LISTEN):

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2,647 of 29,661
man i love when other people start liking a band i discover :D i really need to check out their EP a bit more, i only really listen to Fragments.

it was like 2 months ago when i first put the video's up, but no one checked them out. guess putting them at the top of my years list for metal helped their odds!

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,648 of 29,661

Quote:
man i love when other people start liking a band i discover :D i really need to check out their EP a bit more, i only really listen to Fragments.

it was like 2 months ago when i first put the video's up, but no one checked them out. guess putting them at the top of my years list for metal helped their odds!

Yeah I am sorry Soup's....but kudos to you!

Btw, do you like Periphery?

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,649 of 29,661

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I am sorry Soup's....but kudos to you!

Btw, do you like Periphery?

i do indeed, ive been listening to their self titled cd quite a bit recently. i wasnt a huge fan when i first checked them out like 7 or 8 months ago, but then you posted the video for Icarus lives, and ever since ive liked them. another band you introduced me to( i think it was you) that i really like now is cynic, good stuff

and speaking of allegaeon and Triosphere, which you liked both of, i discovered them both by reading reviews on metalunderground

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,650 of 29,661
Periphery is one of the best band I've heard :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,652 of 29,661
Because of this thread, I sought out the Japanese re-masters of Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Rust In Peace (someone posted about the Japanese re-masters sometime last year). Finally have both now.
smile.gif
Is So Far, So Good, So What also worth getting? (Apparently there's a Japanese re-master of that album too.)

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,653 of 29,661

Quote:
Because of this thread, I sought out the Japanese re-masters of Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Rust In Peace (someone posted about the Japanese re-masters sometime last year). Finally have both now.
smile.gif
Is So Far, So Good, So What also worth getting? (Apparently there's a Japanese re-master of that album too.)

Are the Japanese re-masters somehow different than the crap that was shoveled on the rest of the world in '04? I've heard them all, and frankly the only one that's any good is the MFSL version of Countdown To Extinction, largely because the original mix wasn't all that great. The version of Peace Sells you want, at least on CD anyway, is the original Toshiba "Black Triangle" version. It sounds much better than the US first pressing, and it mops the floor with the crappy re-master. I have a UK first press of Rust which sounds excellent, although it's probably identical to the US first press. A new SHM-CD version of the original Black Triangle master and the other original masters would be great, but I haven't heard about anything different being done for Japan.

Supposedly the best of all are the original vinyl pressings, but I haven't done any comparison listening vs. the CD pressings. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the vinyl won out though. From what I understand, the 180g LE vinyl reissues from a couple of years ago are best avoided - ruined just like the CDs.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #2,655 of 29,661
Nothing alike. Bohren is super slow, super expansive doomjazz. A bit like the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble or the soundtrack to Twin Peaks. Imagine abandoned hotels, dark alleyways and rainy city nights. Ephel Duath is annoying mathcore. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back