Lets Talk Metal
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2,626 of 29,661

Quote:
Quote:

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit

Interestingly enough, this album is constantly listed as a best of or worst of 2010.  It seems to have a love it or hate it attitude.  My guess is because it didn't evolve The Mantle sound that much.

Ya, I probably should not have listed it up there.  I really like Agalloch, maybe I just want to really like the new ablum.  Maybe it is because I live near Portland Oregon and I have seen them live 4 times and was there for the CD release.  The more I listen to it the more I like it.  I just really don't like how the first couple of songs are really great then tracks 4, 5, and 6 are songs with a lot of ambient stuff thrown in.  I really like the middle of Black Lake Nidstang and the end but sometimes I seem to get bored with the rest of the track. Some of it is really nice, but lacking I guess.  I also don't like how the last part of the album just seem to fall off and never regain itself.  I am sure that after more listens I will really appreciate it more. 

What do you mean by did not evolve the Mantle sound that much?

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,628 of 29,661

Quote:
Quote:

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit

Interestingly enough, this album is constantly listed as a best of or worst of 2010.  It seems to have a love it or hate it attitude.  My guess is because it didn't evolve The Mantle sound that much.

On a side note, once again I tip my hat to DaveBSC - Evemaster III is a fantastic album.  Much better than the DT release IMO.

Allegaeon's Fragments I am also really digging.  I think its not that original per se, but it executes the Meshuggah signature very well.  I call it poppy Meshuggah (I know, its unfair).  But they sprinkle in a lot of catchy riffs in between some odd ball timing.  My favorite track so far is Across The Folded Line:

happy you like it trogdor!

no its certainly not that original, but it think its extremely well executed. though i wouldnt say they have much of a meshuggah sound...

across the folded line is also my favorite song

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2,630 of 29,661

What do you think?

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2,631 of 29,661
Already know about them, have heard some songs from them and liked them but haven't heard any album yet. Interesting combination to say the least. 

Quote:

What do you think?

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2,635 of 29,661
what are your opinions on folk metal? i really enjoy it and love the diversity. do any of you listen to korpiklaani? if so are you waiting patiently for teh new release?

my fav korpiklaani song

and my fav folk song of all

now here is something new i found i think you might enjoy. russian folk metal with a female singer

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2,636 of 29,661
I absolutely adore folk metal. My favorite band of all time (changes all the time =p) is Moonsorrow. Check them out if you havent, although its hard to believe any folk metal fan not having heard of moonsorrow.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,637 of 29,661

Quote:
I absolutely adore folk metal. My favorite band of all time (changes all the time =p) is Moonsorrow. Check them out if you havent, although its hard to believe any folk metal fan not having heard of moonsorrow.

ofcourse i have heard of moonsorrow. they are a wonderful band. i think folk metal is amongst my favourite genres. right up there with progressive and thrash. i also really enjoy melodic death metal. like the good old gothenburg stuff.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2,638 of 29,661
[size=medium]Nice to see some Bohren fans lurking in this forum. Great band and while technically not a metal band still has a lot of metal elements.[/size]

[size=12pt]Also really loving Ghosts debut “Opus Eponymous” has a great production with a retro sound (recorded exclusively on analog equipment) [/size]

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2,639 of 29,661
anyone enjoy Lamb of God, Celtic Frost, or Children of Bodom?

I find all of them to have great instrumental talent.

As to the above on folk metal, I have moderate taste for them. MoonSorrow is okay. It just tens to bug me in general when bands go too far into the folk genre without incorporating any heavier elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back