Lets Talk Metal
Aug 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #1,651 of 29,680

Quote:
It is very good. I also really liked their last one, From Mars To Sirius. Their early stuff really doesn't do it for me though.

I saw Gojira live in Atlanta a year ago and was totally impressed. Sometimes those uber technical metal bands just simply can't perform live what they record in the studio.  When that happens you get dumbed down solos and shortened sets. Gojira is the real deal, they were flawless in presentation and NEVER missed a note.  The drummer is an absolute machine kept his stamina for 2 hours and could still pound the double bass like an animal till the last hurrah. That show made me from a casual listener to a fan.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #1,652 of 29,680
Well, there is now a medley of the new Kamelot album, Poetry for the Poisoned on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/kamelot

Khan actually growls! (pretty good)

Again, the intro sounds epic....

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #1,653 of 29,680

Quote:
I saw Gojira live in Atlanta a year ago and was totally impressed. Sometimes those uber technical metal bands just simply can't perform live what they record in the studio.  When that happens you get dumbed down solos and shortened sets. Gojira is the real deal, they were flawless in presentation and NEVER missed a note.  The drummer is an absolute machine kept his stamina for 2 hours and could still pound the double bass like an animal till the last hurrah. That show made me from a casual listener to a fan.

Weren't they the opening act during the Metallica Bites the Big One Tour? :)

I've heard of Gojira now from several people are really amazing live.  How does the lead singer sound?  He has an odd voice (its growling and singing at the sametime, very unique).

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #1,654 of 29,680

Quote:

Weren't they the opening act during the Metallica Bites the Big One Tour? :)

I've heard of Gojira now from several people are really amazing live.  How does the lead singer sound?  He has an odd voice (its growling and singing at the sametime, very unique).

Joe Duplantier the lead singer sounds identical live as they do in the studio albums. And yes that half growl/singing is very unique, I appreciate the vocal style because you get the best of both worlds. You can actually understand the lyrics and you have the guttural metal impact of growling. I wish more bands could combine both styles as flawlessly.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #1,655 of 29,680
Alright...just listened to a lot of Gojira I haven't heard.  They are pretty cool.  I'm with DaveBSC, there later stuff seems stronger to me as well.

On a side note...its about time someone asks this 111 pages into this thread...

What do you all use as rigs to listen to Metal?

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #1,656 of 29,680

Quote:

What do you all use as rigs to listen to Metal?

At home i use my Macbook Pro, optical into my Audio-GD Sparrow into my JH-13's, at work, for now its my iPod Classic straight into the JH-13's, only head phones that ive heard that were better for metal were the 3A's at canjam, and the new Audeze LCD-2's were pretty close to the 13's

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #1,657 of 29,680

Quote:
At home i use my Macbook Pro, optical into my Audio-GD Sparrow into my JH-13's, at work, for now its my iPod Classic straight into the JH-13's, only head phones that ive heard that were better for metal were the 3A's at canjam, and the new Audeze LCD-2's were pretty close to the 13's

The 3A's.  I paid for them months ago and still waiting!  You got me very excited!  :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #1,659 of 29,680

Quote:
The 3A's.  I paid for them months ago and still waiting!  You got me very excited!  :)

when i listened to Antithesis by Origin with those, i heard something i had never heard with any headphone...a soundstage. every instrument was in its place, even the singer had a spot. it was probably one of the most amazing things i have ever experienced in audio. That cd is extremely well mastered and well recorded, just most headphones cant show you that, well these ones can. You should be darn excited. i cant wait to get a pair.

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #1,660 of 29,680

Quote:
I use the portable rig in my sig. :) There's a whole lot of new gear coming in this week though! NAD 524 CD player (mint!), NAD C320 amp, V-DAC, Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Can't wait! 

The NAD stuff is great bang for the buck stuff.  I actually tested the V-DAC and its quite nice.  Any reason why you did that instead of some of the others that are more recent?  (I found MF stuff a bit colored, definitely has its own house sound).

I guess another interesting point/belief/stereotype by me...I am a big digital guy and I *think* most metalheads are.  I never liked tube stuff and I think its generally very overpriced.  I also found it never has the attack/decay you get from solid state which detracts from a lot of the music discussed in these threads. 

I am just a solid state headbanger bigot?  :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,662 of 29,680
Well i've got a pair of Beyer DT 770 pro 80ohm phones coming to me this week. Any suggestions for metal with wicked bass? I'm a bass addict. I'll take a down tuned 7 string solo over a thrash/speed sound any day of the week.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,663 of 29,680

Quote:
The NAD stuff is great bang for the buck stuff.  I actually tested the V-DAC and its quite nice.  Any reason why you did that instead of some of the others that are more recent?  (I found MF stuff a bit colored, definitely has its own house sound).

I guess another interesting point/belief/stereotype by me...I am a big digital guy and I *think* most metalheads are.  I never liked tube stuff and I think its generally very overpriced.  I also found it never has the attack/decay you get from solid state which detracts from a lot of the music discussed in these threads. 

I am just a solid state headbanger bigot?  :)

Well, the V-Dac seemed like the best bang for your buck DAC to me. :) There are so many DAC available and after selling my uDAC (didn't like the sound, cold and lifeless) I got the impression the V-DAC was a step into my prefered direction. It was that or the Purepiper DAC. What DAC would you suggest in the $300 range? 

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #1,664 of 29,680

Quote:
Well, the V-Dac seemed like the best bang for your buck DAC to me. :) There are so many DAC available and after selling my uDAC (didn't like the sound, cold and lifeless) I got the impression the V-DAC was a step into my prefered direction. It was that or the Purepiper DAC. What DAC would you suggest in the $300 range? 

Just a DAC or can it be an amp/DAC combo?  I wasn't sure given the equipment you ordered.  Btw, congrats, you must be excited.

I was not saying the V-DAC was a poor choice, just an odd one since a lot of the MF stuff is enamored by the jazz folks.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,665 of 29,680

Quote:
Well i've got a pair of Beyer DT 770 pro 80ohm phones coming to me this week. Any suggestions for metal with wicked bass? I'm a bass addict. I'll take a down tuned 7 string solo over a thrash/speed sound any day of the week.

Well...from what I understand the new JH-3A allows you to adjust the bass as you see fit.  It was one of the reasons why I pre-ordered it.  But again, I haven't heard it.  I think Soup'ster should probably chime in and talk about the JH13Ps (the 16 is just -3db adjustment on the bass from what I understand).

The cans with awesome bass AND strong attack/decay I've heard in the 770 range was the SA5K's.  But on the downside they are a bit analytical for some tastes.  Your 770Ps are a pretty darn good choice for a bass nut unless you get real esoteric.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back