Lets Talk Metal
Dec 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #706 of 29,662
Oh yes... seeing them, slayer and megadeth in february
smily_headphones1.gif

Was originally supposed to be machine head instead of testament but when arraya had to postpone the concert due to the back surgery, machine head couldn't make the new date and now its testament

I was really pissed about this as I'm a huge machine head fan but then I just ended up going to san jose few weeks ago and seeing them with metallica so now all is right with the world
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #707 of 29,662
Now I have surely not read the whole topic, but I just wanted to know, if anyone knew some good melodic death metal/metal core bands similar to 'all that remains' and killswitch engage?

Also if anyone knew some similar to the prog. metal band Coheed and Cambria?

Last.fm has done a pretty good job so far for me, but just wanted to hear your opinion

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #708 of 29,662
@ Bojamijams : any fav. numbers from testament? I just dig their "The persecuted wont forget" and "Into the pit" . In my opinion testament is one of the few bands that stayed with true thrash all the way.

@ Christian Boysen : not much idea about metal core bands but maybe you could try trivium if you have nt already. Also do try out Symphony-X , but they might be too technical for your liking, but if you like Dream Theater and Opeth stuff you will enjoy Symphony-X also.

So what do you guys say about Kreator, Dio , Anthrax and Quo Vadis? 80's for life.

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #709 of 29,662
I absolutely love 80s thrash metal. If you like those bands, you should check out Sacred Reigh.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #710 of 29,662
Yo guys I've been out of the loop for years now.

Where are the good places to purchase metal from via mailorder.

Years ago I used to use The End Records, Redstream, Dark Symphonies and a few other small labels.

The End was the best (in 05-06) until their stuff started getting shipped via snail mail from Germany -_-

I'm looking to purchase Agalloch's live DVD.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #711 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are the good places to purchase metal from via mailorder.

Years ago I used to use The End Records, Redstream, Dark Symphonies and a few other small labels.

I usually buy direct from the labels, their prices are hard to beat (for instance from Metal Mind, Peaceville, Relapse, Adipocere, Osmose, etc.). Or from Amazon or eBay but there you have to be carefull or end up with dubious russian federation releases (specially when buying new, used ones are safer).

And, of course, I try to buy from european union because of possible taxes.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #712 of 29,662
Hmmm.

Nothing much in the metal scene has really intrigued me of late.

I do like Cobalt's 'Gin' though. Much more original than the latest pile of junk heaped out on the metal market.

The guy can't sing to save his life, but then hey - neither can most metal head rockers.
His riffs and rhythms are cool enough to grab.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #713 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm.

Nothing much in the metal scene has really intrigued me of late.

Weird, have you listened to latest Wolves in the Throne Room, Drudkh, Blut Aus Nord, Ruins of Beverast, Esoteric or Solstafir, to name a few?

Quote:

I do like Cobalt's 'Gin' though. Much more original than the latest pile of junk heaped out on the metal market.

How does it compare to Eater of Birds? I have that CD but must say that despite being really good it hasn't had many spins.

Oh, and I must say that I do find originality to be too overrated
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The guy can't sing to save his life, but then hey - neither can most metal head rockers.
His riffs and rhythms are cool enough to grab.

No, most metal singers can sing, some can't but the percentage of those who can't isn't higher that on non-metal. And even those who seemly "can't sing" have never put me off the music (Agalloch and Bathory being notorious examples).

Will check "Gin". Thanks.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #714 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Boysen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I have surely not read the whole topic, but I just wanted to know, if anyone knew some good melodic death metal/metal core bands similar to 'all that remains' and killswitch engage?

Also if anyone knew some similar to the prog. metal band Coheed and Cambria?

Last.fm has done a pretty good job so far for me, but just wanted to hear your opinion

Don't listen to coheed but I do listen to metalcore, though most the people here dislike it. I would highly recommend Parkway drive, verygood metlcore band from Australia. Also check out heaven shall burn from Germany. For melodic deathmetal I like in flames, come clarity is my favorite cd. Also at the gates, dark tranquility, Amon amarth's album with odin on our side. not really death metal but I just started listening to insomnium and they are sick, check out the album above the weeping world.

have fun!

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #715 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes... seeing them, slayer and megadeth in february
smily_headphones1.gif

Was originally supposed to be machine head instead of testament but when arraya had to postpone the concert due to the back surgery, machine head couldn't make the new date and now its testament

I was really pissed about this as I'm a huge machine head fan but then I just ended up going to san jose few weeks ago and seeing them with metallica so now all is right with the world
biggrin.gif

Don't feel bad about it. Machine Head is terrible live. I saw them at Mayhemfest two years ago; they were so drunk they could hardly play. At least the energy was good, but the music was bad.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #717 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't feel bad about it. Machine Head is terrible live. I saw them at Mayhemfest two years ago; they were so drunk they could hardly play. At least the energy was good, but the music was bad.

I saw them in san jose and they were incredible. Rob is a very humble guy with a great stage presence. They also covered Pantera's ****ing Hostile because it was the 5year anniversary of Dimebags death. Phil was also playing Randy's polka dot jackson which was very cool to see. They have also been voted numerous times as the best live band so I definetly disagree with you on the terrible live comment. Probably had one bad show but every band has those.. and usually more then 1.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #718 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would highly recommend Parkway drive, verygood metlcore band from Australia.

Am I the only one who thinks all of their songs sound the same?
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #719 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who thinks all of their songs sound the same?
confused_face(1).gif

You must be cause I think they are pretty much the ****, one of my favorite bands currently. Have heard the newest album horizons??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back