Lets Talk Metal
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #27,241 of 29,639
I keep trying to get into Psycroptic. I dunno, I just don't think tech death is for me. They're really good at what they do, I just can't quite sink into the style.

Im not big into psycroptic either, dont know why... But what about Suffocation, Spawn of Possession, Decrepit Birth, Origin, Omnihility, Anata, Punish, Hour of Penance, Iniquity, Necrophagist, Obscura, Vale of Pnath - II, Virvum - Illuminance, Anachronism - Orogeny, Inferi and/or A Loathing Requiem, Archspire, Apotheon, Arkaik, Nile, Lost Soul, The Zenith Passage. Lots of wild and vastly different tech death out there.

I mean. That's a big goddamn list but I'll say that, of them, I wouldn't call Suffo tech death by any stretch of the imagination for one. They basically originated brutal death. Decrepit Birth I definitely like. Hour of Penance is okay. Necrophagist is bland to my ears. Inferi is awesome, same with Archspire. Nile is hit and miss, their newest have fallen really flat for me. Origin and Obscura I respect for their skill but it's rare I'll listen to an album.

To me, I've been far more about OSDM/midpaced bands like Tomb Mold, Temple of Void, Gatecreeper, Undergang, etc. I'm also an unabashed lover of slam/brutal along the lines of Cenotaph, Cephalotripsy, Devourment, those types. I tend to like my metal primitive, ugly, and mean.

Maybe a bit of dissonance then :) or something more Brutal

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #27,242 of 29,639
I am trying to remember the name of a band and for some reason I am unable to do so. They were from the a scandinavian country. They release an album in 90s which was hugely popular and if I remember correctly it had name of some flower (I might be wrong). The band has been reference on this thread numerous times. I think they have a song titled - whatever kills or whatever doesn't kill makes you stronger or such thing which is the first song on that album and has a killing opening riff. I think they are progressive death or progressive black kind of band. And the album is about drug addiction or some such subject. Can you help me identify the name of this band or album. It's driving me crazy

I figured it out finally after searching LastFM. I was referring to Tiamat. I know my clues were flaky.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #27,243 of 29,639
Tiamat is awesome. Do You Dream of Me is such a great little melancholy track.

Also hell yes for Baring Teeth. I'm a fan.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #27,244 of 29,639
Hey guys, dont know If it was posted already, but the "new" Aborted is brütl af :-D

Saw them live last thursday in Vienna, together with Cryptopsy, Benighted and Cytotoxin, and hell was that a show.

Burst upper lip, bruised ribs and upper leg, neck still hurts, but damn i shure needed that again, havent felt that alive in quite some time!

I mean i saw YOB one week before, and that was one hell of an experience too, just vastly different, more "spiritual" ...

But sometimes you just need that moshin and banging :-D

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #27,245 of 29,639
Hey guys, dont know If it was posted already, but the "new" Aborted is brütl af :-D

Saw them live last thursday in Vienna, together with Cryptopsy, Benighted and Cytotoxin, and hell was that a show.

Burst upper lip, bruised ribs and upper leg, neck still hurts, but damn i shure needed that again, havent felt that alive in quite some time!

I mean i saw YOB one week before, and that was one hell of an experience too, just vastly different, more "spiritual" ...

What’s up with the mosh-pit? It’s a little after my time. I remember seeing punk bands in LA in the 1980s. There was no circular movement if I remember; just pushing....if you were wearing a watch or a ring it was lost. Last mosh-pit I was at was Slipknot in LA at the Forum in 2010. I’m 6’ 253 lbs of solid “l’ll Fyou Up” still there is always someone bigger and way-way bigger!......always. Someone would hit me hard, and they would almost be pushed into the floor. Still that was 8 years ago, no pits where I live.......and I’m glad.....I’m too old for it. Though I do have great memories of seeing people do serious stupid stuff like jump from the rafters onto bands while playing.

But as a whole the metal community has to be the most cohesive and friendly to each other of any community. There are always the trouble makers, but it’s 98% cool people out for a good time.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #27,246 of 29,639
What’s up with the mosh-pit? It’s a little after my time. I remember seeing punk bands in LA in the 1980s. There was no circular movement if I remember; just pushing....if you were wearing a watch or a ring it was lost. Last mosh-pit I was at was Slipknot in LA at the Forum in 2010. I’m 6’ 253 lbs of solid “l’ll Fyou Up” still there is always someone bigger and way-way bigger!......always. Someone would hit me hard, and they would almost be pushed into the floor. Still that was 8 years ago, no pits where I live.......and I’m glad.....I’m too old for it. Though I do have great memories of seeing people do serious stupid stuff like jump from the rafters onto bands while playing.

But as a whole the metal community has to be the most cohesive and friendly to each other of any community. There are always the trouble makers, but it’s 98% cool people out for a good time.

The way how the mosh "behaves" is highly dependant on the band playing, because the audience differs heavily between Bands.

Anything too "Core" or "Nu" and you get the kids flayling their arms around like helicopters and jumping around with stretched legs, nay for me.

Aborted for example are "veterans" in the brutal death Scene (with a little core on top, hope i dont offend any Genre Nazis xD).
This shows in the audience, id call it a friendly exchange of violence :-D.

The size of the venue and number of people also plays a role, it was sold out with ~300 people, 50 in the pit i guess, perfect size for my taste :)

One girl was ~1.5m tall, saw her flying around in there with the biggest grin in her face :ksc75smile:
I just had a bit of bad luck, got pushed forward and the dude in front of me got pushed back, lip vs head is an unfair battle :p
Ended up at the bar afterwards, payed me a Beer, all good :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #27,247 of 29,639

Heeeellll yes. Aborted and Cryptopsy are straight nasty live. Never seen the other two but I do love Benighted's albums. It's hilarious that Cryptopsy's vocalist looks like he's about 12 years old but absolutely kills it.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #27,248 of 29,639
Heeeellll yes. Aborted and Cryptopsy are straight nasty live. Never seen the other two but I do love Benighted's albums. It's hilarious that Cryptopsy's vocalist looks like he's about 12 years old but absolutely kills it.

Haha yeah, i was like "whats dat kid doing on stage", then he started the soundcheck.....

But to be honest i did not enjoy them that much, they were a bit too "serious" for my taste.
Benighted just had a shitload of fun, and that energy was present in the pit too.
Aborted just killed it, really, they know how to get the crowd goin!

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #27,249 of 29,639
Listening to a few albums and checked that they havent been mentioned here, so here you go. Just a to c for now ;p

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #27,252 of 29,639

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #27,253 of 29,639

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #27,254 of 29,639

What's everyone's take on bands with, y'know, less than savory people in 'em? Do we still listen to Burzum and Inquisition?

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #27,255 of 29,639

What's everyone's take on bands with, y'know, less than savory people in 'em? Do we still listen to Burzum and Inquisition?

I generally don't read about band members personal lives or interviews or anything and I'm pretty dense so unless lyrics are explicitly discriminating a specific group of sapiens I probably wouldn't even know.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back