Lets Talk Metal
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #26,776 of 29,664
Hey guys, I'm still alive. Don't think anyone remembers me but I went away for half a year. Glad to see this place is still active!

I definitely didn't return at the wrong time. This almost feels like a welcome back gift. Thanks for sharing, man!

That being said, got any more prog/post stuff you can recommend? Kinda feeling melancholic today.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #26,777 of 29,664
I'm just on a stoner doom kick lately. I play YouTube channels while I sit at my desk 12 hours a day.... Stoned Meadow of Doom and Fuzz FM are great!

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #26,779 of 29,664
Hey guys, I'm still alive. Don't think anyone remembers me but I went away for half a year. Glad to see this place is still active!

I definitely didn't return at the wrong time. This almost feels like a welcome back gift. Thanks for sharing, man!

That being said, got any more prog/post stuff you can recommend? Kinda feeling melancholic today.

This is new and I love it :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #26,781 of 29,664
An interesting tidbit: to a Finn, peeps from middle of Russia singing in Finnish sounds absolutely hilarious.
The pronounciation is off enough to give it a comical sense, you most likely can't take them seriously, if you speak the language.

I mean, to me, that's not any different than if they sang in English with an accent. Lots of bands who don't speak English make music in it. Don't see the big deal.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #26,782 of 29,664
I mean, to me, that's not any different than if they sang in English with an accent. Lots of bands who don't speak English make music in it. Don't see the big deal.
Yup, I didn't mean the post in a negative way :p

We're just a rather homogenous people, and a culture, and rather self-aware of ourselves, for example, we have a term for poorly spoken/heavily accented English by a Finn, called rallienglanti (only in Finnish Wikipedia), stemming from the various rally and motorsports drivers of ours, giving interviews in English. It's a collective embarrassment embedded in our genes, which activates if another Finn is speaking rallienglanti. My god one of our former prime ministers was and still is awful - she's a MEP nowadays.
I've actually heard the Swedes have the same thing :p

Anyways, when it comes to metal and Finns singing in English, probably the folkier bits as an "exotic" niche work, and obviously the black/death metal shrieks/grunts, but some of the cleaner vocals by Finnish bands actually trigger that reaction in me. Fascinating, isn't it?
And it seems to be the same vice versa, as in Kauans case; there has been/is other Finnophile bands about as well.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #26,783 of 29,664
A genetically embedded trigger for foreigners trying to speak your native language? Don't get me wrong, but that's racist in a super hilarious way, because it seems like you can't do anything against it. ;P

As a guy who doesn't speak any Finnish, I couldn't have spotted a difference in the vocals between Kauan and, I dunno, Moonsorrow. And even now that I know it's not actually a Finnish band I can't hear anything unusual. But I guess that's to be expected. If we want to go all the way, we might as well say that even Eluveitie with their ancient Gallish are probably not even close to authentic to the way actual Gauls used to pronounce stuff back in the day:

The bottom line here is that there's a lot of music out there whose language seriously doesn't matter at all, because it's the instrumentation and melodies that matter the most. I wish I knew what Kauan was singing about, but it wouldn't make a signifcant difference for me one way or another to enjoy it.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #26,784 of 29,664
A genetically embedded trigger for foreigners trying to speak your native language? Don't get me wrong, but that's racist in a super hilarious way, because it seems like you can't do anything against it. ;P

As a guy who doesn't speak any Finnish, I couldn't have spotted a difference in the vocals between Kauan and, I dunno, Moonsorrow. And even now that I know it's not actually a Finnish band I can't hear anything unusual. But I guess that's to be expected. If we want to go all the way, we might as well say that even Eluveitie with their ancient Gallish are probably not even close to authentic to the way actual Gauls used to pronounce stuff back in the day:

The bottom line here is that there's a lot of music out there whose language seriously doesn't matter at all, because it's the instrumentation and melodies that matter the most. I wish I knew what Kauan was singing about, but it wouldn't make a signifcant difference for me one way or another to enjoy it.

The embarrassment-trigger mainly activates via native Finns speaking rallycardriver-English, (and it seems to trigger in the Finnophile-bands singing as well?).
(Ah, I forgot, there's a word for the general feeling as well - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/myötähäpeä)
But foreigners speaking Finnish with an accent - we'd be over the moon for somebody trying to grasp the language, we're far too prudent for any negative associations - we'd be in awe if somebody has the courage to speak the language, even with flaws.
That's one national quirk - if we're not perfect in the pronunciation, we're generally rather embarrassed to express ourselves, which in turn contributes to the stereotype of Finns being rather 'mute' :p

And how do we know about the correct pronunciation then? We don't dub any content (films, tv-shows) beyond under-7-year-olds'-stuff into Finnish, it's all subtitled with the original audio. The national differences are huge in Europe; Germany, Spain, France, Italy dubbing everything etc., and IMO it contributes tremendously to the nations skill levels in English, in a negative fashion.

And yeah, I've crawled through Kauans discography, and the musicianship, guitarwork and the melodies on some tracks do float my boat: whilst some of the vocal work is rather 'disturbing'. I've even introduced it to a circle of friends, which include musicians and vocalists of different genres, it was a mixed reaction, and trigger level varied :p

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #26,785 of 29,664
The embarrassment-trigger mainly activates via native Finns speaking rallycardriver-English, (and it seems to trigger in the Finnophile-bands singing as well?).
(Ah, I forgot, there's a word for the general feeling as well - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/myötähäpeä)
But foreigners speaking Finnish with an accent - we'd be over the moon for somebody trying to grasp the language, we're far too prudent for any negative associations - we'd be in awe if somebody has the courage to speak the language, even with flaws.
That's one national quirk - if we're not perfect in the pronunciation, we're generally rather embarrassed to express ourselves, which in turn contributes to the stereotype of Finns being rather 'mute' :p

And how do we know about the correct pronunciation then? We don't dub any content (films, tv-shows) beyond under-7-year-olds'-stuff into Finnish, it's all subtitled with the original audio. The national differences are huge in Europe; Germany, Spain, France, Italy dubbing everything etc., and IMO it contributes tremendously to the nations skill levels in English, in a negative fashion.

And yeah, I've crawled through Kauans discography, and the musicianship, guitarwork and the melodies on some tracks do float my boat: whilst some of the vocal work is rather 'disturbing'. I've even introduced it to a circle of friends, which include musicians and vocalists of different genres, it was a mixed reaction, and trigger level varied :p

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with the rally-english we have.
Here's a classic example:

Nothing embarrassing in my opinion when running into foreigners speaking finnish in media either, for example the scene in one episode of Archer was actually pretty decent.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #26,786 of 29,664
I dunno, I'm pretty happy with the rally-english we have.
Here's a classic example:

Nothing embarrassing in my opinion when running into foreigners speaking finnish in media either, for example the scene in one episode of Archer was actually pretty decent.

Linked the same video in my first post :p
And as I said, it doesn't apply to foreigners speaking Finnish - vice versa.
Finnophiles singing in Finnish has the same cringey vibe as Janos Valmunen, if you catch my drift. In all seriousness, it's not even debatable.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #26,787 of 29,664
This week's winners.

That Crackhouse album is one of the best things I've heard all year.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #26,788 of 29,664

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #26,790 of 29,664
Testing out a new DAC with this old Beauty and the Beast.

I should have been playing this one more in past years!

What's your new DAC? I've been interested in getting a Gumby as my next DAC.

Draconian is a great band to test something out btw, beautiful female vocal, grunty guitars, nice growl, speedy drum kicks, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back