Lets Talk Metal
Dec 20, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #25,666 of 29,653
Dec 20, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #25,667 of 29,653

Nah. Their own tags on Bandcamp begin with "black metal, death metal."

Oh okay, for some reason I associated them with Blackened Thrash like Skeletonwitch. Let me listen to them again :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #25,668 of 29,653

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #25,669 of 29,653
Glad I didn't miss it.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/latitudes-old-sunlight-things-might-missed-2016/

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #25,670 of 29,653
  I am definitely lacking of 2016 releases.

For me, this is really immature, but some of the best metal releases that I come to like are Inquisiton and Geuvrah's Hallelujah (two of the better black metal releases I have personally heard in a while), Cobalt (not better than Eater of Birds and Gin, but it took me some listens to get its magic), the Full Of Hell + The Body collaboration (if you count it as one, and I do), Wormrot (I am a big fan of Dirge and it's a shame that I wasn't there for their showcase) and definitely Zhrine.

I have heard quite a great amount of releases that were not released in 2016, but three of them that I have come across and I am confident enough to mention are Krieg's Transient (it's not flawless, but I really appreciate the personal nature throughout it; shame that Candlelight messed it up), Indian's From All Purity (it had that "Streetcleaner" kind of nauseation) and Gridlink's Longhena (really emotional and also a shame that it's no longer available in digital).

Although I am not active anymore, it's good to always come back here to have a look at what I'm always missing out.

I have been less than diligent in keeping up with metal this year and just have less opportunities to listen to music these days.

The FOH+The Body was one I had forgotten about but it's soo good, I also like their (The Body) collaboration albums with Thou and Krieg. Really need to purchase the FOH one though. I really liked Transient too! It's a fantastic listen during the winter months and he wrote some damn fine riffs for it. Also, definitely agreed on Indian's latest and if you haven't yet, please check out Lord Mantis' Death Mask right away!

With hundreds of metal albums dropping every month I've accepted I'll never be well-informed. I just find the stuff I like and listen to it, knowing that I'm missing out on tons of other great albums as well. It's a good problem to have.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #25,671 of 29,653
  I have been less than diligent in keeping up with metal this year and just have less opportunities to listen to music these days.

The FOH+The Body was one I had forgotten about but it's soo good, I also like their (The Body) collaboration albums with Thou and Krieg. Really need to purchase the FOH one though. I really liked Transient too! It's a fantastic listen during the winter months and he wrote some damn fine riffs for it. Also, definitely agreed on Indian's latest and if you haven't yet, please check out Lord Mantis' Death Mask right away!

With hundreds of metal albums dropping every month I've accepted I'll never be well-informed. I just find the stuff I like and listen to it, knowing that I'm missing out on tons of other great albums as well. It's a good problem to have.

I really need to hear more of The Body as well (also liked the Krieg one as well). Furthermore, Full Of Hell and Merbow plus Sister Fawn is still one of my favorite releases of 2014, regardless of many find it to be too "Disneyland". It was the kind of music that both grindcore and noise nerds have dream of making both of them happen that effectively.

I think that I have mentioned this before, but I also really liked both Pervertor and Death Mask as well. I don't know about NTW (of course, LM is now literally A.M and ex-Indian guys), but Bill Bumgardner's death is quite a loss in music to me. He was really a monster behind the drums. Also, along with Jon Chang (a legend to me), Neill Jameson, Dagon and of course, Charlie Fell, Dylan O'Toole is a personal favorite extreme vocalist of mine recently. Not many can bring out those shrikes so effective unlike those majorities.

I think that it's not the number of music you have listened, but how much can you get from let's say, an album without being too narrow-minded that matters. No matter how much music I have listened to (I have listened to a lot of those future funk and vaporwave stuff and I just suddenly dropped that somehow), it's just indulgent to just join those circles because I just have to fit into them, which I have finally dropped and just find and listen whatever I am interested in. Regardless of whatever I have said, in my opinion, one should be at least, confident to do whatever what they want to do, as long they know when not to cross the line (I am looking at you, United States).

I myself will admit that no matter how hard I try, I will never ever fulfill those albums, eps, spilts, demos or whatever. Most importantly, I have a reality - many problems that I have to settle, so the best that I can do is just being myself and not getting too carried away by whatever hobbies, interests and perspectives that I have, and I assume that it's the same case with almost everybody.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #25,673 of 29,653
  I really need to hear more of The Body as well (also liked the Krieg one as well). Furthermore, Full Of Hell and Merbow plus Sister Fawn is still one of my favorite releases of 2014, regardless of many find it to be too "Disneyland". It was the kind of music that both grindcore and noise nerds have dream of making both of them happen that effectively.

I think that I have mentioned this before, but I also really liked both Pervertor and Death Mask as well. I don't know about NTW (of course, LM is now literally A.M and ex-Indian guys), but Bill Bumgardner's death is quite a loss in music to me. He was really a monster behind the drums. Also, along with Jon Chang (a legend to me), Neill Jameson, Dagon and of course, Charlie Fell, Dylan O'Toole is a personal favorite extreme vocalist of mine recently. Not many can bring out those shrikes so effective unlike those majorities.

I think that it's not the number of music you have listened, but how much can you get from let's say, an album without being too narrow-minded that matters. No matter how much music I have listened to (I have listened to a lot of those future funk and vaporwave stuff and I just suddenly dropped that somehow), it's just indulgent to just join those circles because I just have to fit into them, which I have finally dropped and just find and listen whatever I am interested in. Regardless of whatever I have said, in my opinion, one should be at least, confident to do whatever what they want to do, as long they know when not to cross the line (I am looking at you, United States).

I myself will admit that no matter how hard I try, I will never ever fulfill those albums, eps, spilts, demos or whatever. Most importantly, I have a reality - many problems that I have to settle, so the best that I can do is just being myself and not getting too carried away by whatever hobbies, interests and perspectives that I have, and I assume that it's the same case with almost everybody.

Well it seems our tastes are very similar and yeah that Merzbow collab was awesome, still need to actually buy a copy of that too. Too often, I feel like these metal-noise collabs end up just being too distinct compositions merely played on top of each other or the noise is purely used as an interlude or break in a song. The FOH/Merzbow material felt much more intentional and genuine.

I wholeheartedly agree with your other statements too. I split my listening time between metal, hip-hop (anything from the indie stuff to Gucci Mane really) and also love electronic stuff like Blanck Mass, Andy Stott and some vaporwave like Vektroid, Mac Plus and New Dreams Ltd. And as most audiophiles, I always make some time for your typical jazz favorites like Coltrane, Getz and Davis. Oh and I play bass in garage rock band so yeah I never really neatly fit into any musical circles.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #25,674 of 29,653
xp I could see making a comparison between Xoth and Skeletonwitch.

The rollout is now in the top 20!

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=105029#unread

30 Mesarthim - Isolate 266 Points, 7 Votes
29 Metallica - Hardwired...To Self Destruct 270 Points, 9 Votes
28 40 Watt Sun - Wider Than The Sky 284 Points, 7 Votes
27 Entropia - Ufonaut 298 Points, 9 Votes
26 Völur - Disir 302 Points, 8 Votes
25 Khemmis - Hunted 307 Points, 8 One #1
 #1 in Decibel Albums of the Year.
24 Kvelertak - Nattesferd 316 Points, 8 Votes
23 Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows 319 Points, 10 Votes
22 Gojira - Magma 337 Points, 9 Votes, One #1
21 Dysrhythmia - The Veil Of Control 341 Points, 10 Votes

20 Virus - Memento Collider 371 Points, 12 Votes
19 Horse Lords - Interventions 384 Points, 11 Votes
18 Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolutions 408 Points, 12 Votes
17 Forgotten Spell - Epiphaneia Phosphorus (Angel, God or Insanity) 413 Points, 9 Votes, THREE #1's
16 Thy Catafalque - Meta 424 Points, 10 Votes One #1
15 Neurosis - Fires Within Fires 444 Points, 11 Votes

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #25,675 of 29,653
Pop quiz!

If you could only pick one #1 top favorite besterest (✿◠‿◠) black metal track (not an album or band; just one song), which would it be?

Mine would probably be "Coat Of Arms" by Lengsel.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #25,676 of 29,653
16 Thy Catafalque - Meta 424 Points, 10 Votes One #1
15 Neurosis - Fires Within Fires 444 Points, 11 Votes
14 Gorguts - Pleiades' Dust 464 Points, 13 Votes
13 Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue 473 Points, 12 Votes, One #1
12 Alcest - Kodama 482 Points, 14 Votes
11 BÖLZER - Hero 511 Points, 13 Votes

To be concluded tomorrow!

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #25,677 of 29,653
  Pop quiz!

If you could only pick one #1 top favorite besterest (✿◠‿◠) black metal track (not an album or band; just one song), which would it be?

Mine would probably be "Coat Of Arms" by Lengsel.

I think:

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #25,678 of 29,653
We should start a list of bottom worst albums or let downs for the year.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #25,679 of 29,653
We should start a list of bottom worst albums or let downs for the year.

Definitely not worst albums. but I didnt enjoy them as much as I hoped.
Opeth - Sorceress
Metallica - Hardwire
Innanimate Existence - Calling from a dream
Wormed - Krigsu
Obscura - Akroasis

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #25,680 of 29,653
10 Jute Gyte - Perdurance 539 Points, 14 Votes, TWO #1's
9 Schammasch - Triangle 543 Points, 15 Votes, One #1
8 Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones 558 Points, 16 Votes, One #1
7 Sumac - What One Becomes 559 Points, 15 Votes, One #1
6 Cobalt - Slow Forever 563 Points, 14 Votes, One #1
5 Subrosa - For This We Fought The Battle of Ages 648 Points, 16 Votes, TWO #1's
4 Vektor - Terminal Redux 657 Points, 17 Votes, THREE #1's
3 Furia - Księżyc milczy luty 751 Points, 20 Votes, TWO #1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back