Lets Talk Metal
Dec 19, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #25,651 of 29,653
initialism: "an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g., CPU )."
acronym: "an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., NASA )."

:p

So did ya like Slugdge?

He thinks they
(descriptive-words) are funny.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #25,652 of 29,653
The album has both great sound quality but also some type of mastering issue that even got the band involved, something about different volume levels and a couple songs being mastered and pressed too low. Still I never noticed having the album become an all time favorite for the band and the year it came out. I use it to test equipment at times.

I listened through The Sham Mirrors again tonight as well. Aside from the first track (which might be my top track by the band), I don't like it nearly as consistently as Sideshow Symphonies, which I can play through in its entirety and always get lost in the music. I think La Masquerade Infernale may be their best work, though...but it's perhaps harder to get into.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #25,653 of 29,653
I have trouble stomaching the vocals for most black metal, but I like this. Riffs!

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://xoth.bandcamp.com/album/invasion-of-the-tentacube" href="http://xoth.bandcamp.com/album/invasion-of-the-tentacube">Invasion of the Tentacube by Xoth</a> 

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #25,654 of 29,653
Dec 19, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #25,655 of 29,653
  I have trouble stomaching the vocals for most black metal, but I like this. Riffs!

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://xoth.bandcamp.com/album/invasion-of-the-tentacube" href="http://xoth.bandcamp.com/album/invasion-of-the-tentacube">Invasion of the Tentacube by Xoth</a> 

I thought this was Thrash :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #25,656 of 29,653
initialism: "an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g., CPU )."
acronym: "an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., NASA )."

:p

So did ya like Slugdge?

I did, pretty cool.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #25,657 of 29,653
I listened through The Sham Mirrors again tonight as well. Aside from the first track (which might be my top track by the band), I don't like it nearly as consistently as Sideshow Symphonies, which I can play through in its entirety and always get lost in the music. I think La Masquerade Infernale may be their best work, though...but it's perhaps harder to get into.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Symphonies

ICS Vortex the "Human Foghorn" was also present to bring much of the tone he was responsible for with vocals and bass from Borgir! In my opinion it was a time of top form for both bands. In retrospect the last 2015 Arcturus album, though good, did not have the flow of Sideshow. Sideshow is like an entire album where the songs all dovetail together in a memorable way. Where the last album was like putting different stuff together which didn't match to me. Sadly I had huge hopes for the supergroup in 2015. Even seeing a video of them doing the album live didn't inspire me at all. We are left with the past...........at least I am?

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #25,658 of 29,653
Looking at the past line-up for Dimmu Borgir we have to remember the original keyboard player https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stian_Aarstad

Stian decided to introduce two pieces of copywrited music to the band as his own. The music was then recorded and placed into the first release of Stormblast. After release the label and band was advised of the ownship of the keyboard parts. This is why Stormblast " The Rerecorded One " sounds so different.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #25,659 of 29,653
I did, pretty cool.

Still don't understand if your talking about DSO which is technically DO as Deathspell Omega is just two words but gets an written wrong for usefulness?

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #25,660 of 29,653
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Symphonies

ICS Vortex the "Human Foghorn" was also present to bring much of the tone he was responsible for with vocals and bass from Borgir! In my opinion it was a time of top form for both bands. In retrospect the last 2015 Arcturus album, though good, did not have the flow of Sideshow. Sideshow is like an entire album where the songs all dovetail together in a memorable way. Where the last album was like putting different stuff together which didn't match to me. Sadly I had huge hopes for the supergroup in 2015. Even seeing a video of them doing the album live didn't inspire me at all. We are left with the past...........at least I am?

Who wouldn't notice that's Vortex singing?

You probably recall I didn't care much for Arcturian either.

Looking at the past line-up for Dimmu Borgir we have to remember the original keyboard player https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stian_Aarstad

Stian decided to introduce to pieces of copywrited music to the band as his own. The music was then recorded and placed into the first release of Stormblast. After release the label and band was advised of the ownship of the keyboard parts. This is why Stormblast " The Rerecorded One " sounds so different.

It was only a small amount of music that was removed. For example, the keyboard intro to the opening track was stolen from a video game without permission. But that's not the reason the rerecording sounds different. The band basically stated that they intended for the original album to have the powerful sound the remake has, but were unable to due to production constraints at the time. Most prefer the more atmospheric original, but the remake is nice from time to time.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #25,661 of 29,653
Who wouldn't notice that's Vortex singing?

You probably recall I didn't care much for Arcturian either.

It was only a small amount of music that was removed. For example, the keyboard intro to the opening track was stolen from a video game without permission. But that's not the reason the rerecording sounds different. The band basically stated that they intended for the original album to have the powerful sound the remake has, but were unable to due to production constraints at the time. Most prefer the more atmospheric original, but the remake is nice from time to time.

I'm pretty easy going on recording quality which is essential with 1990s Black Metal. But if I could have my way and change history I would simply change only two records.

1) Stormblast
2) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Nightside_Eclipse

Seriously, I know both were underground bands at the time and using a bunch of layers to bring about a special sound which in many ways defines the era for the genre.

In interviews they both were asked What about the sound of the albums. Most like myself yern to hear the full scale of the music. The dam writing is so epic that even the vinyl of ITNE takes listeners back to memories and places. But hell, it sounds like schiit. I had the vinyl, the remaster the original. All crap. Yet both albums are held in such high regard. As both bands explain how they did their best at the time, that it was a full sound they were after, not AM radio.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #25,662 of 29,653
  At the top of my Bandcamp collection I ranked my metal albums from this year as best I could: https://bandcamp.com/abyssopelagic

• Plebeian Grandstand takes the cake for me this year with False Highs, True Low, one of my favorite bands.
  • Mizmor's Yodh was fantastic, Gilead always does vinyl releases right and the art direction is superb.
  • Jute Gyte's Perdurance was just in a league of it's own, even compared to other Gyte albums I've heard. When everything else sounds boring, this album has always come through for me.
  • Starspawn was not on my radar at all for a while but the songwriting and production is fantastic. Very concise too, a definite plus.
  • Vainaja had the best production on a metal album this year and they also just happen to write monster doom riffs. Great atmosphere, just an addictive album.

So that's my top 5 in a nutshell, I have way more ranked on my Bandcamp. Plus a few that I only have on vinyl:
  1. Sunn's Kanon was surprisingly brief and much brighter sounding than previous material. Still many familiar sounds from Black One, definitely another great addition to their prolific catalog.
  2. Cobalt's album was a big long in the tooth but they had some great songs on Slow Forever and Charlie Fell is one of the better vocalists in metal.
  3. Zhrine's release is also way up there for me, also very addicting to listen to, definitely in my top 10 somewhere.

I am definitely lacking of 2016 releases.

For me, this is really immature, but some of the best metal releases that I come to like are Inquisiton and Geuvrah's Hallelujah (two of the better black metal releases I have personally heard in a while), Cobalt (not better than Eater of Birds and Gin, but it took me some listens to get its magic), the Full Of Hell + The Body collaboration (if you count it as one, and I do), Wormrot (I am a big fan of Dirge and it's a shame that I wasn't there for their showcase) and definitely Zhrine.

I have heard quite a great amount of releases that were not released in 2016, but three of them that I have come across and I am confident enough to mention are Krieg's Transient (it's not flawless, but I really appreciate the personal nature throughout it; shame that Candlelight messed it up), Indian's From All Purity (it had that "Streetcleaner" kind of nauseation) and Gridlink's Longhena (really emotional and also a shame that it's no longer available in digital).

Although I am not active anymore, it's good to always come back here to have a look at what I'm always missing out.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #25,663 of 29,653
I'm pretty easy going on recording quality which is essential with 1990s Black Metal. But if I could have my way and change history I would simply change only two records.

1) Stormblast
2) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Nightside_Eclipse

Seriously, I know both were underground bands at the time and using a bunch of layers to bring about a special sound which in many ways defines the era for the genre.

In interviews they both were asked What about the sound of the albums. Most like myself yern to hear the full scale of the music. The dam writing is so epic that even the vinyl of ITNE takes listeners back to memories and places. But hell, it sounds like schiit. I had the vinyl, the remaster the original. All crap. Yet both albums are held in such high regard. As both bands explain how they did their best at the time, that it was a full sound they were after, not AM radio.

I actually really like the production on ITNE. I wouldn't want to hear it with a polished studio sound, ya know?

Although I am not active anymore, it's good to always come back here to have a look at what I'm always missing out.

Whoa, haven't talked to you in like nine months! Like the new avatar.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #25,664 of 29,653
I actually really like the production on ITNE. I wouldn't want to hear it with a polished studio sound, ya know?

Whoa, haven't talked to you in like nine months! Like the new avatar.

You must be intrinsically more true than I?

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #25,665 of 29,653
You must be intrinsically more true than I?

Go to sleep while playing that album on speakers. Now that's something you won't forget.
biggrin.gif

But think about how lifeless it would be if it were recorded without that raw cavernous sound, and instead in "audiophile" quality in a studio or made to sound like your typical "clean" mainstream metal band. Its mystique would be lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back