Lets Talk Metal
Aug 24, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #24,016 of 29,663
Be sure to hear the tracks I shared in my recent long metalcore post. They're an example of the more extreme side of metalcore.

Saw the post, know the bands, you have been posting the same bands over and over, as we all do. Much of the time nothing new to see in the posts.

Haha that cracks me up!

These haven't been posted here yet I don't think... there hasn't been too terribly much death metal I've been really excited for this year, but these are two that I'll buy immediately once released.

https://redefiningdarknessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/interitus

https://ulcerate.bandcamp.com

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #24,017 of 29,663

True. When it comes to metalcore, I do have a small selection of bands I prefer. Just wasn't sure if you knew 'em.

I don't listen to many metalcore bands similarly, but the ones i do listen to usually get the most head time from the metal bands I listen to. As I lay dying, trivium, haste the day, and killswitch engage pretty make up all of it.  
Not a fan of killswitch's new album, as I lay dying is a dead band, and haste the day broke up. So trivium is the only active metalcore band I listen to and it took a very long while to get used to the new style of silence in the snow

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #24,018 of 29,663
  I don't listen to many metalcore bands similarly, but the ones i do listen to usually get the most head time from the metal bands I listen to. As I lay dying, trivium, haste the day, and killswitch engage pretty make up all of it.  
Not a fan of killswitch's new album, as I lay dying is a dead band, and haste the day broke up. So trivium is the only active metalcore band I listen to and it took a very long while to get used to the new style of silence in the snow

You should broaden your horizons. Here's a black metal playlist I made a few months ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/23325#post_12644193

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #24,019 of 29,663
You should broaden your horizons. Here's a black metal playlist I made a few months ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/23325#post_12644193

It is not the only genre of metal I listen, it is just my most listened to out of those 4 bands. I do listen a little bit of every genre like thrash, death, nu, groove. But I would never get into black metal, the bands I listen to are primarily for the vocal style, lyrical themes, and guitar riffs I enjoy which unfortunately black metal does not fulfill for me

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #24,020 of 29,663
It is not the only genre of metal I listen, it is just my most listened to out of those 4 bands. I do listen a little bit of every genre like thrash, death, nu, groove. But I would never get into black metal, the bands I listen to are primarily for the vocal style, lyrical themes, and guitar riffs I enjoy which unfortunately black metal does not fulfill for me

Judge the songs on the playlist after hearing them, not before.
wink.gif

(My entire purpose of creating that playlist was to showcase how diverse black metal is. It's even more diverse than the other metal genres! You'll hear song structures, riffs, etc. from all the other metal genres in there.)

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #24,022 of 29,663
  @sludgeogre

Here's your black metal playlist! I shared a similar list in the past. This one is more extensive, but still only scratching the surface of a grim frostbitten glacier on one accursed planet in a universe of blackness. (lol) Be sure to listen through it all in order without skipping anything. Take your time. There's no rush. You'll probably want to save the link to this post somewhere. Once your "training" is complete, you will have a much better grasp of how diverse this genre truly is, even when it comes to the evolution of a single band. I encourage you to explore the discographies of the ones you like. And if you want to hear what the music really sounds like (or at least something closer to it, since all headphones and speakers will ultimately limit that), get your hands on lossless files. Even the best YouTube links sound awful in comparison.

Rotting Christ: Rege Diabolicus, Visions Of A Blind Order, Thy Wings Thy Horns Thy Sin, Aeternatus, Fateless, Quintessence, Русалка, Elthe Kyrie, Eon Aenaos
Antaeus: Inner War, Those With No Eyes, De Principii Evangelikum, Wormz On Day VI, Rot [Blood Libels version]
Shining: Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra, Vemodets Arkitektur, Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti
Slugdge: Spore Ensemble
Old Man's Child: Hominis Nocturna, The Underworld Domains, The Plague Of Sorrow, My Kingdom Will Come
Dominion III: A Dead Heart In A Dead World
Dragonlord: Unholyvoid, Wolfhunt
Kroda: Cry To Me, River... (Betrayal Of Knjaz Volodymir), Pathways Of Fate, Funeral Of The Sun
DHG (Dødheimsgard): Traces Of Reality, Regno Potiri, 21st Century Devil
Lengsel: Coat Of Arms, Stille Dualisme, The World Monotone, Revival
Summoning [my second favorite band of all time!]: Nightshade Forests, South Away, Across The Streaming Tide, Long Lost To Where No Pathway GoesLike Some Snow-White Marble Eyes, Where Hope And Daylight Die, Ashen Cold, Lugburz, Dagor Bragollach, The Legend Of The Master-Ring, Habbanan Beneath The Stars
Abigor: The Legacy, Weeping Midwintertears, Shadowlord, Crimson Horizons And Ashen Skies [first track on album], Project: Shadow, Pandemonic Revelation
Limbonic Art: Dynasty Of Death, Towards The Oblivion Of Dreams, In Abhorrence Dementia, Descent To Oblivion, Symphony In Moonlight And Nightmares, The Dark Rivers Of The Heart
Anorexia Nervosa: Sister September [Director's Cut mix], Stabat Mater Dolorosa, Tragedia Dekadencia, The Shining
Samael: Black Hole, The Cross, Moongate
Ajattara: Hurmasta
Aosoth: Banished, III-1
Deathspell Omega: III
Agathodaimon: Cellos For The Insatiable, Serpent's Embrace, The Darkness Inside, Ghost Of A Soul
Dimmu Borgir: Devil's Path [2000 version], Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny, In Death's Embrace, The Conspiracy Unfolds, Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen [1996 version], Dimmu Borgir
Dissection: Where Dead Angels Lie, Starless Aeon
Hate Forest: To Those Who Came Before Us, Scythia, Aryosophia
Drudkh: Furrows Of Gods, Summoning The Rain, Glare Of Autumn
Emperor: Wrath Of The Tyrant [Emperor EP version], Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, The Loss And Curse Of Reverence, In The Wordless Chamber
Satyricon: The Dawn Of A New Age, Tied In Bronze Chains, Fuel For Hatred
Twilight: Woe Is The Contagion
Leviathan: Odious Convulsions (They Are Not Worthy Of His Name), What Fresh Hell, Unfailing Fall Into Naught
Cradle Of Filth: Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids, All Hope In Eclipse, From The Cradle To Enslave, Hurt And Virtue, The Death Of Love, Hallowed Be Thy Name [Iron Maiden cover]
Naglfar: I Am Vengeance, A Swarm Of Plagues, Odium Generis Humani, Pale Horse
Averse Sefira: Condemned To Glory, Plagabraha, Wind Witch
Absu: Between The Absu Of Eridu & Erech, Circles Of The Oath, Pillars Of Mercy
Agalloch: Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
Woods Of Ypres: The Shams Of Optimism, A Meeting Place And Time
Nokturnal Mortum: Goat Horns, On The Moonlight Path, Valkyrie, Carpathian Mysteries, My Journey To The Stars [Burzum cover]
Silencer: Taklamakan
Lifelover: Välkommen Till Pulvercity
Heidenreich: A Death Gate Cycle
Nachtmystium: A Seed For Suffering
Tidfall: Tech
Amestigon: Mysterious Realms, Wolf In The Heart [mislabeled on link]
Arcturus: To Thou Who Dwellest In The Night
Bathory: Blood Fire Death
Burzum: Det Som En Gang Var
Darkthrone: Transilvanian Hunger, Det Svartner Nå
Demoncy: Winter Bliss
Harvist: Foundations [first track on compilation]
Gorgoroth: Open The Gates
Lucifugum: Поперечье их начала / Poperechye Ih Nachala
Xasthur: The Prison Of Mirrors
Ulver: Hymn IV: Of Wolf And Man, Capitel I: I Troldskog Faren Vild
Haemoth: When The Blood Turns Black

rotting christ- did not enjoy the vocal or instrumental style at all
antaeus- similar, and the satan themes are getting pretty stale
shining- the instrumentals are actually pretty good, but I do not dig that vocal style
slugdge- they sound more familiar as the death metal, better guitar work than most black metal I've heard but it isn't my cup of tea
Old Man's Child- reminds me of folk metal, but like I've said previously, I do not dig that vocal style
dominion III- electronic black metal 
eek.gif

dragonlord- better instrumentals, again do not dig the vocals 
kroda-  cry me a river meets folk metal!
DHG- do not understand the theme here, but nice piano interlude
lengsel- does not fit for my ears, and the my vocal complaint is getting stale 
summoning- the vocal centric black metal really does not help me
abigor- the satan centric theme and the instrumentals/vocals really do not get to me. Weeping Midwintertears was better and had a theme I could find
limbonic art- I think I am repeating myself too much

I listened up to here and like I said, the style of black metal does not correlate to me and my impressions are getting stale to read, I don't even listen to any extreme sub genres of metal. The thrashiest I get is megadeth and the most death metal I get is dethklok 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #24,023 of 29,663
I listened up to here and like I said, the style of black metal does not correlate to me and my impressions are getting stale to read, I don't even listen to any extreme sub genres of metal. The thrashiest I get is megadeth and the most death metal I get is dethklok 
evil_smiley.gif

Fair enough. At least you gave it a chance. I guess some metalheads just don't like the more extreme stuff.

You'd probably like melodic death metal, though, since that's what Dethklok is. My favorite band In Flames started out as melodeath.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #24,024 of 29,663
Blood Fire Death is the first album I always suggest when someone's not familiar with black metal, low success rate, granted, but out of any genre I feel that one's among the hardest to get people into. I love Bathory and I miss Quorthon.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #24,025 of 29,663

Fair enough. At least you gave it a chance. I guess some metalheads just don't like the more extreme stuff.

You'd probably like melodic death metal, though, since that's what Dethklok is. My favorite band In Flames started out as melodeath.

I absolutely love the guitar work from dethklok but many bands like children of bodom have vocal styles I just cannot get into. I will look at in flames

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #24,026 of 29,663
  I absolutely love the guitar work from dethklok but many bands like children of bodom have vocal styles I just cannot get into. I will look at in flames

Links for ya.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/22620#post_12372984
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/In_Flames/11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_melodic_death_metal_bands

The first one is a playlist I put together with one track from each of their major releases, showing how they started out with a raw sound and evolved into something much more mainstream. In addition to melodic death metal (which they did in the '90s), they have done melodic groove metal, melodic metalcore, alternative metal, alternative rock, etc.

On that note...In Flames have a new live album coming out next month.

595162.jpg

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In_Flames/Sounds_from_the_Heart_of_Gothenburg/595162
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/in-flames-to-release-sounds-from-the-heart-of-gothenburg-dvd-in-september

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #24,027 of 29,663
Blood Fire Death is the first album I always suggest when someone's not familiar with black metal, low success rate, granted, but out of any genre I feel that one's among the hardest to get people into. I love Bathory and I miss Quorthon.

That's great. I so do agree that much of the 2nd wave is based on the stuff. After all these years I hear Bathory everywhere. Seriously everywhere! Dark Funeral, Immortal...............the list is almost endless though only the very few who KNOW understand it all.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #24,028 of 29,663
rotting christ- did not enjoy the vocal or instrumental style at all
antaeus- similar, and the satan themes are getting pretty stale
shining- the instrumentals are actually pretty good, but I do not dig that vocal style
slugdge- they sound more familiar as the death metal, better guitar work than most black metal I've heard but it isn't my cup of tea
Old Man's Child- reminds me of folk metal, but like I've said previously, I do not dig that vocal style
dominion III- electronic black metal :eek:
dragonlord- better instrumentals, again do not dig the vocals 
kroda-  cry me a river meets folk metal!
DHG- do not understand the theme here, but nice piano interlude
lengsel- does not fit for my ears, and the my vocal complaint is getting stale 
summoning- the vocal centric black metal really does not help me
abigor- the satan centric theme and the instrumentals/vocals really do not get to me. Weeping Midwintertears was better and had a theme I could find

limbonic art- I think I am repeating myself too much

I listened up to here and like I said, the style of black metal does not correlate to me and my impressions are getting stale to read, I don't even listen to any extreme sub genres of metal. The thrashiest I get is megadeth and the most death metal I get is dethklok :evil:

This stuff is so simple. It gets perplexing if everyone gets myopia.

Let's just say that a newer listener is not going to like 75% of Black Metal Vocals. So what, we were all like that unless our parents were 5150 goths and played screaming sheet for us when we were in our cribs. All of us went from smooth vocals to the Black Metal screams, but for some it takes 10 years. Strangely I almost feel like our brain starts to ignore the vocals? But they are suppose to be anguish, hate, sadness and anger. THAT is IT. Take it away and we have nothing in the bag to hold.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #24,029 of 29,663

That's great. I so do agree that much of the 2nd wave is based on the stuff. After all these years I hear Bathory everywhere. Seriously everywhere! Dark Funeral, Immortal...............the list is almost endless though only the very few who KNOW understand it all.

I like the remastering on this compilation.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bathory/In_Memory_of_Quorthon/116209

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #24,030 of 29,663

I remember when that came out, it was a big deal. My favorite hobby was finding the Black Metal CDs folks would hide in the Classical Music Section. If I was maybe a nicer person I would have left them there. Still why were they there? Much has been stated about satanic cults making beautiful items to be sold in the Christian store only to be somehow cursed with hex energy for the Christians to take home and put in their house. Was it just a joke for the nice Christian Classical listener to find a Burzum CD with the symbol of Blasphemy to be shockingly seen?

I always thought they were there for a future retrieval when the finder had more cash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back