Lets Talk Metal
Jul 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #23,596 of 29,656
Did you read what I wrote? Looks like a live DVD and no studio album.

Yes, Dimmu Borgir is just one of those bands that if you loved them 20 years ago it's like it never goes away. But bands normally don't stay in top form forever, so I'm not expecting much, still ......? You liked their last record. I liked their second to last record and all before it.

They could surprise us. They could be finishing the studio album right now. To bad we don't know any industry insiders to help us out.?:wink:

Did you read what I wrote? The band themselves have stated that they have been working on a studio album.

Here is their latest statement out of many:

"We wish to inform you that DIMMU BORGIR and Nuclear Blast once again put pen to paper, acknowledging the past, present and future by opening another chapter in the history of extreme music! Stay tuned and watch this space for more updates on the new album and the "Forces of The Northern Night" live DVD/Blu-ray release as it becomes available!"

So there's a new studio album and the live release.

I've tried listening to a bit from each release and your recommended tracks, I'm not saying they're bad or anything there's just so much more interesting black metal out there to me. They're absolutely important to the genre itself but there's so much great music out there that even if I listened to music 18 hours a day, I'd only get to 25% of it. You gotta prioritize these days and Dimmu has never been a priority to me.

I'd rather listen to:
  • Funeral Mist
  • Plebian Grandstand
  • Leviathan
  • Panopticon
  • Falls of Rauros
  • Dark Funeral
  • Emperor
  • Krallice
  • Akhlys 
  • Woman is the Earth
  • Gorgoroth (the earlier stuff)
  • Waldgefluster
  • Sorrow Plagues
  • Thy Darkened Shade
  • Immortal
  • Surachai
  • Lluvia
  • Gravsang
  • Taake
  • Deafheaven
  • Jute Gyte
  • Wodensthrone
  • person Sapling
  • Myrkur
  • Wolves in the Throne Room

And that's just some of the black metal in my rotation right now, I've still got some more recent releases to look in to, not to mention the other sub genres of metal I listen to.

I know for many, Dimmu was a way in to the genre but I got in to black metal listening to Gorgoroth and Immortal and never paid much attention to Dimmu so that emotional connection isn't there as it is for many. No dig at them (aside from that utterly douchey promo photo) as they are absolutely important, there's just more personally compelling music that has my time and attention.

I'm sure you noticed I'm really into black metal. So Dimmu is nowhere near my favorite. I'm just saying their discography is worth hearing at least once.

On a side note, you may discover some awesome bands you never heard if you check out the playlist I made last month.

I also copied your list to my text file, as I have yet to hear some of those bands.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #23,597 of 29,656

Did you read what I wrote? The band themselves have stated that they have been working on a studio album.

I'm sure you noticed I'm really into black metal. So Dimmu is nowhere near my favorite. I'm just saying their discography is worth hearing at least once.

On a side note, you may discover some awesome bands you never heard if you check out the playlist I made last month.

I also copied your list to my text file, as I have yet to hear some of those bands.

Agreed, they can't be written off entirely and were a massive influence for the genre. I'll definitely get in to that playlist eventually as there's plenty of bands I've yet to hear on it. Right now I'm busy spinning the new Inter Arma and going through my record collection finding albums I haven't listened to in a while.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #23,599 of 29,656

I stand corrected.
redface.gif

Good, two releases or three? 1studio album
                                                      1DVD

Maybe live DVD tracks as a CD?

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #23,600 of 29,656
Good, two releases or three? 1studio album                                                       1DVD

Maybe live DVD tracks as a CD?

Hmm. The live show for this was actually all the way back in 2011.

Norwegian symphonic black metallers DIMMU BORGIR performed one very exclusive show on May 28, 2011 at the Oslo Spektrum in Norway with a special, never-to-be-repeated setlist with 53 members of KORK (the Norwegian Radio Orchestra) and 30 members of the Schola Cantorum choir, who were musical guests on the band's ninth studio album, "Abrahadabra".

The quote from the band indicates it will be a DVD/Blu-ray combo. I'm assuming a CD will also be available.

Nowadays it's customary for live releases to have various versions, like DVD, CD, or DVD/CD. But they generally count as the same release.

Now that Blu-ray is becoming more prominent, it should make things slightly more interesting. (Though it's annoying when an album is released exclusively on Blu-ray, as with some of the newer Final Fantasy soundtracks. It's so much more trouble to rip the audio from Blu-ray to digital files.)

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #23,602 of 29,656
Hmm. The live show for this was actually all the way back in 2011.

The quote from the band indicates it will be a DVD/Blu-ray combo. I'm assuming a CD will also be available.

Nowadays it's customary for live releases to have various versions, like DVD, CD, or DVD/CD. But they generally count as the same release.

Now that Blu-ray is becoming more prominent, it should make things slightly more interesting. (Though it's annoying when an album is released exclusively on Blu-ray, as with some of the newer Final Fantasy soundtracks. It's so much more trouble to rip the audio from Blu-ray to digital files.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsFFZxIxOsU

All this talk got me on a Dimmu Borgir kick.

The song - Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde is not only the first song of the 1994 Rehearsal cassette. It's also the 3rd and last song of Inn I Evighetens Morke EP.

It then shows up as the 8th song on 1995's For All Tid, and the 11th track of the 1997 Jap release of Enthrone Darkness Triumphant but is completely re-recorded. The re-recorded song is also put as the 4th song on the 1998 Godless Savage Garden EP.

Then also released of course on the rerelease remaster of For All Tid (color cover not B/W like original)which came out in 1997 ( which is same as original only more clear and loud).

So if you don't have the Jap import of Enthrone Darkness Triumphant or the Godless Savage Garden Eo you never heard the new recording? IMO Best sounding one too!

Actually we probably had think talk already? Just noticed it's on the 2001 Nuclear Blast CD, which I own, and the Reloaded Nuclear Blast "Hot" reissue, which I own. The song is not on any vinyl nor the original cassette or CD. It does show up on a reissue cassette.

Amazingly good song for anyone new to the band! It really captures the essence of what they sounded like in the mid 1990s.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #23,603 of 29,656
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPeQSw9tdPM

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #23,604 of 29,656
@BLACKENEDPLAGUE

Since you like Extol, have you heard Lengsel? It has ex-Extol members.

Their debut album Solace is a progressive black metal masterpiece and is easily in my top ten BM albums. I can't believe no one here besides me talks about Lengsel. Anyone into BM (or extreme metal in general) needs to hear this one.

The rest of their material is only worth listening to if you're a diehard fan.

Their latest release is a compilation limited to only 200 copies. I got my hands on one.
cool.gif

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsFFZxIxOsU

All this talk got me on a Dimmu Borgir kick.

The song - Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde is not only the first song of the 1994 Rehearsal cassette. It's also the 3rd and last song of Inn I Evighetens Morke EP.

It then shows up as the 8th song on 1995's For All Tid, and the 11th track of the 1997 Jap release of Enthrone Darkness Triumphant but is completely re-recorded. The re-recorded song is also put as the 4th song on the 1998 Godless Savage Garden EP.

Then also released of course on the rerelease remaster of For All Tid (color cover not B/W like original)which came out in 1997 ( which is same as original only more clear and loud).

So if you don't have the Jap import of Enthrone Darkness Triumphant or the Godless Savage Garden Eo you never heard the new recording? IMO Best sounding one too!

Actually we probably had think talk already? Just noticed it's on the 2001 Nuclear Blast CD, which I own, and the Reloaded Nuclear Blast "Hot" reissue, which I own. The song is not on any vinyl nor the original cassette or CD. It does show up on a reissue cassette.

Amazingly good song for anyone new to the band! It really captures the essence of what they sounded like in the mid 1990s.

Yes, we discussed this in the past. I have heard all versions of the song and strongly prefer the newer recording in this instance.

The depression and atmosphere of their earliest material has its charm, though. At that point it seemed like they had no interest in being rock stars.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #23,605 of 29,656
  @BLACKENEDPLAGUE

Since you like Extol, have you heard Lengsel? It has ex-Extol members.

Their debut album Solace is a progressive black metal masterpiece and is easily in my top ten BM albums. I can't believe no one here besides me talks about Lengsel. Anyone into BM (or extreme metal in general) needs to hear this one.

The rest of their material is only worth listening to if you're a diehard fan.

Their latest release is a compilation limited to only 200 copies. I got my hands on one.
cool.gif

Yes, we discussed this in the past. I have heard all versions of the song and strongly prefer the newer recording in this instance.

The depression and atmosphere of their earliest material has its charm, though. At that point it seemed like they had no interest in being rock stars.

Yeah I know Lengsel. Back in the late 2000's I was still a christian and was exploring christian extreme metal, know most of the bands out there. Slechtvalk and Crimson Moonlight are the two bands that have really stuck though, as well as My Silent Wake, but Ian prefers to be called agnostic

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #23,607 of 29,656
Finally finished Fleshgod Apocalypse's discography. There's a lot to love about this band. I think of them as the death metal version of Anorexia Nervosa due to the grandiose orchestral arrangements used as a backdrop to the frantic metal. The bonus orchestral CD with their latest album actually sounds more impressive to me than movie scores of this style. I'm a real sucker for dramatic choirs and such. Didn't notice how much effort they put into the composition until I heard it all without the metal overpowering it.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #23,608 of 29,656

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #23,609 of 29,656
New Obscurantis Order by Anorexia Nervosa is one of my top symphonic black metal albums. Really crazy stuff. I suppose it has death, thrash, and gothic influences too.

I'm gonna just link to a stream since the cover art is...er...questionable. (Consider the link below not safe for work!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsg4wLg6jA&list=PLkFTDvO6yx3dNx3PWlzmDx1kq_SyS96BE

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #23,610 of 29,656

Users who are viewing this thread

Back