Lets Talk Metal
Jul 12, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #23,581 of 29,656
Hi everyone, been pretty much a lurker around here. Metalhead here too, nice to meet all of you! :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #23,587 of 29,656
It's not like Dimmu is ever gonna release a new album at this point, so I don't know what's stopping him lol. 
I was actually just thinking about this the other night. Dimmu hasn't released a new album in almost 6 years. Why hasn't there been an Old Man's Child album in that time? Dimmu hasn't been doing extensive tours and Galder has to put food on the table unless he's just living on Norwegian welfare...

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #23,588 of 29,656
  It's not like Dimmu is ever gonna release a new album at this point, so I don't know what's stopping him lol. 
I was actually just thinking about this the other night. Dimmu hasn't released a new album in almost 6 years. Why hasn't there been an Old Man's Child album in that time? Dimmu hasn't been doing extensive tours and Galder has to put food on the table unless he's just living on Norwegian welfare...

On the contrary, they have a new album coming out soon enough. Here's a promo photo from earlier this year:

Well, obviously, they're rakin' in the cash from all those endless album sales.
tongue_smile.gif

(I bet some of 'em have day jobs like most metal musicians.)

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #23,589 of 29,656
Jul 13, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #23,590 of 29,656
  Never been in to Dimmu really ever and that promo photo makes me feel very confident in my decision.

Now, when you say never...how much of their material have you heard?

I take the logical approach of only assessing a song after hearing it. After all, you can't judge something you've never heard. Plus you may hate one song and love another.

Regarding promo photos...that new one looks nothing like their old ones. (Click here to see a lot more.) I wouldn't be confident in assuming anything based on appearance.

Here are some tracks you should hear regardless, copied from my black metal playlist from awhile ago.

Devil's Path [2000 version], Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny, In Death's Embrace, The Conspiracy Unfolds, Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen [1996 version], Dimmu Borgir

I don't see how anyone can be into black metal without hearing Dimmu's discography, bare minimum! They're one of the most well-regarded bands in the genre.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #23,591 of 29,656
On the contrary, they have a new album coming out soon enough. Here's a promo photo from earlier this year:

Well, obviously, they're rakin' in the cash from all those endless album sales. :tongue_smile:

(I bet some of 'em have day jobs like most metal musicians.)

The way I understand the near future, is they announced it would be a release of a live DVD and have lately just renewed the contract with Nuclear Blast. Still if you go to their news page on Nuclear Blast there is very little information. This is a total let down as this year was to produce a new studio album. We even has photos of them in the studio last year with studio reports, so ????????

They are one of my favorite Black Metal bands of all time. I could care less if people call them fake or whatever. I simply like their music.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #23,592 of 29,656
The way I understand the near future, is they announced it would be a release of a live DVD and have lately just renewed the contract with Nuclear Blast. Still if you go to their news page on Nuclear Blast there is very little information. This is a total let down as this year was to produce a new studio album. We even has photos of them in the studio last year with studio reports, so ????????

They are one of my favorite Black Metal bands of all time. I could care less if people call them fake or whatever. I simply like their music.

If I recall correctly, there are videos of them in the studio as well. Some of the links on my search link indicate that the new studio album might be released this year.

I thought they were your #1 favorite.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #23,593 of 29,656
If I recall correctly, there are videos of them in the studio as well. Some of the links on my search link indicate that the new studio album might be released this year.

I thought they were your #1 favorite. :p

Did you read what I wrote? Looks like a live DVD and no studio album.

Yes, Dimmu Borgir is just one of those bands that if you loved them 20 years ago it's like it never goes away. But bands normally don't stay in top form forever, so I'm not expecting much, still ......? You liked their last record. I liked their second to last record and all before it.

They could surprise us. They could be finishing the studio album right now. To bad we don't know any industry insiders to help us out.?:wink:

Here is a fake song released by some troll.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7g3F_lBFI

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #23,594 of 29,656

Now, when you say never...how much of their material have you heard?

I take the logical approach of only assessing a song after hearing it. After all, you can't judge something you've never heard. Plus you may hate one song and love another.

Regarding promo photos...that new one looks nothing like their old ones. (Click here to see a lot more.) I wouldn't be confident in assuming anything based on appearance.

Here are some tracks you should hear regardless, copied from my black metal playlist from awhile ago.

Devil's Path [2000 version], Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny, In Death's Embrace, The Conspiracy Unfolds, Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen [1996 version], Dimmu Borgir

I don't see how anyone can be into black metal without hearing Dimmu's discography, bare minimum! They're one of the most well-regarded bands in the genre.

I've tried listening to a bit from each release and your recommended tracks, I'm not saying they're bad or anything there's just so much more interesting black metal out there to me. They're absolutely important to the genre itself but there's so much great music out there that even if I listened to music 18 hours a day, I'd only get to 25% of it. You gotta prioritize these days and Dimmu has never been a priority to me.

I'd rather listen to:
  • Funeral Mist
  • Plebian Grandstand
  • Leviathan
  • Panopticon
  • Falls of Rauros
  • Dark Funeral
  • Emperor
  • Krallice
  • Akhlys 
  • Woman is the Earth
  • Gorgoroth (the earlier stuff)
  • Waldgefluster
  • Sorrow Plagues
  • Thy Darkened Shade
  • Immortal
  • Surachai
  • Lluvia
  • Gravsang
  • Taake
  • Deafheaven
  • Jute Gyte
  • Wodensthrone
  • person Sapling
  • Myrkur
  • Wolves in the Throne Room

And that's just some of the black metal in my rotation right now, I've still got some more recent releases to look in to, not to mention the other sub genres of metal I listen to.

I know for many, Dimmu was a way in to the genre but I got in to black metal listening to Gorgoroth and Immortal and never paid much attention to Dimmu so that emotional connection isn't there as it is for many. No dig at them (aside from that utterly douchey promo photo) as they are absolutely important, there's just more personally compelling music that has my time and attention.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #23,595 of 29,656

Users who are viewing this thread

Back