Lets Talk Metal
May 3, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #23,026 of 29,656

I'm disappointed that he chose to continue Xasthur but now acoustic and not depressive BM like Xasthur is supposed to be. I think he'd be better off keeping the two projects separate.

I thought he had no plans to continue writing black metal so this is just the next step for Xasthur. Same mood and tone, just different instrumentation.

Not really my thing either though.

May 3, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #23,027 of 29,656
Profound Lore has/had some awesome bands. Besides what has been mentioned, all of these are worth checking out.

Hooded Menace
Artificial Brain
Star Gazer
Portal
Mitochondrion
Disma
Grave Miasma
Auroch

+1

Add the likes of Castevet, The Atlas Moth, Vaura, and Psalm Zero  to that gang. The latter two especially exemplify how Profound Lore often releases excellent leftfield-ish stuff.

May 3, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #23,029 of 29,656
  http://www.stereogum.com/1874267/the-black-market-the-month-in-metal-april-2016/franchises/the-black-market/

As usual, their monthly list is full of fantastic stuff: Astronoid (finally about to get serious recognition), Uada, Vektor, Zealotry (should be right up your alley @campj)

I just listened to Astronoid's demo EP thing yesterday and was wondering when they would finally release a full album. Like their style a lot.
And i'm always down for more Vektor! One of the very few Thrash bands I actually like.

May 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #23,030 of 29,656
May 3, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #23,031 of 29,656

I was lucky to get " A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors" remastered as a bonus disk with the very last Xasthur I purchased and will ever purchase. I never would have thought his "demo" would be so very good. Doing Burzum cover songs just shows the Burzum worship, I always thought was going on.

But yes, his acoustic is not very special to me. To think he could still make music like his old style if he wanted. Nothing stays the same, still we have his old recordings to listen to.Using the name is all about the money, right? The power of being noticed out there. I wish him well, still I will not be listening to it.

As you may know, I bought nearly all of Xasthur's material, including hard to find stuff on vinyl and tape. The original version (CD-R, limited to 150 copies) of A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors sounds nothing like the version commercially released. It's much more wild and raw, and it sounds like totally different vocals too. You should try to hear the original, if you ever can. The various reissues of the remixed version are also worthwhile.  I got this and this one. The latter has a bonus disc featuring the rare (like 10 copies originally) A Darkened Winter EP.

Anyway, in a way I'm glad the old Xasthur is laid to rest. Although I'm a Xasthur freak, it was beginning to get a little stale. You have to be in the right mood for it. In the right mood, you can get lost in the atmosphere, but in the wrong mood, it can just sound monotonous, ya know? I used to listen to Xasthur on a daily basis, but nowadays it's not that often.

I thought he had no plans to continue writing black metal so this is just the next step for Xasthur. Same mood and tone, just different instrumentation.

Not really my thing either though.

He's just continuing his acoustic (etc.) project Nocturnal Poisoning but now under the Xasthur name. I have no problem with him making whatever music he wants; I just don't like that he's doing it under the Xasthur name, because I think it cheapens the depressive black metal legacy of Xasthur. If you look at the Metal Archives page, the band status is split-up, since the "new" Xasthur isn't really Xasthur anymore.

May 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #23,032 of 29,656

He's just continuing his acoustic (etc.) project Nocturnal Poisoning but now under the Xasthur name. I have no problem with him making whatever music he wants; I just don't like that he's doing it under the Xasthur name, because I think it cheapens the depressive black metal legacy of Xasthur. If you look at the Metal Archives page, the band status is split-up, since the "new" Xasthur isn't really Xasthur anymore.

Eh, I completely disagree, it's still him, still his music and releasing new music literally has zero effect on your past music. Those songs are all still the same. He made hundreds of Xasthur songs, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't find that style as attractive anymore.

May 3, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #23,033 of 29,656

Eh, I completely disagree, it's still him, still his music and releasing new music literally has zero effect on your past music. Those songs are all still the same. He made hundreds of Xasthur songs, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't find that style as attractive anymore.

I asked him a while back, he's kind of burnt out on BM. Although he never said this change is permanent, it's just artistic freedom

May 3, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #23,034 of 29,656

How would you feel if your favorite death metal (or whatever) band suddenly decided to become a gangsta rap (or whatever) group, remaining under the same name? I just feel that type of thing should be kept separate. Again, I have no problem with him doing whatever he wants musically. I just don't like it being called Xasthur. When you create a new style that is so different from your signature style, continuing it under the same name (instead of having a side project to operate under, which is what he did do for awhile, with Nocturnal Poisoning) can be insulting to the legacy left behind, at least for many fans. But like you said, it's his art, so he can call it whatever he wants.

May 4, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #23,035 of 29,656
How would you feel if your favorite death metal (or whatever) band suddenly decided to become a gangsta rap (or whatever) group, remaining under the same name? I just feel that type of thing should be kept separate. Again, I have no problem with him doing whatever he wants musically. I just don't like it being called Xasthur. When you create a new style that is so different from your signature style, continuing it under the same name (instead of having a side project to operate under, which is what he did do for awhile, with Nocturnal Poisoning) can be insulting to the legacy left behind, at least for many fans. But like you said, it's his art, so he can call it whatever he wants.

Artists do change. Funny too at times they have to trash anything they did for the last 10 years. You actually hear of artists burning all their paintings. So he has moved on. I don't really care what he calls his band. That's the thing too as even though he had help onstage Xasthur was always promoted as a solo thing, now he has two other band members. Xasthur is a three piece band now?

One of those "Bloodstained Mirrors Demo CRDs" was in a black paper sleeve and hand sealed with black hot wax! Actually I think my remaster is the one you have that came as double disk. It's the only one with a color cover from what I can tell.

May 4, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #23,036 of 29,656
The new Xasthur has a new band logo too. You can get a shirt of it. Haha

So at some point we may see a new encyclopedia page with the new band and logo? But the album is called Subject To Change. It may change. I do remember in all those interviews where he stated that he was upset with the music business, he said he always lost out, was never really paid for the Black One project. How it was hard to make money. The only thing he was jazzed about was this new bass he just purchased which he thought was really going to improve his solo work sound.

The thing is, he is truly a depressed artist. How could someone not be emotionally twisted to make his music, it is the real deal? His black metal was what was inside and how he felt at the time. So if he wants to wear a Mexican scarf around his face now and play experiments of acoustically tainted music, just let him, it is the poor guys therapist. IMO

May 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #23,038 of 29,656

May 4, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #23,039 of 29,656

How would you feel if your favorite death metal (or whatever) band suddenly decided to become a gangsta rap (or whatever) group, remaining under the same name? 

I'd be happy for them that they're playing the music they like, they don't owe me anything. 

Also if he calls it something else, he loses a ton of listeners who may like his music but don't keep up with the metal community/news and aren't aware of the changes. He is Xasthur, that's his artist persona and he shouldn't have to lose out on money and listeners because he changed his style.

May 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #23,040 of 29,656
Opeth isn't even close to the same band that it was, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad that Mikael feels like he can keep evolving and making awesome music, no matter what style it is. If he made it another project it would be fine as well. I don't really mind either way. As long as the band wants to go that way, go for it.

Steven Wilson has done tons of different projects and styles, sometimes with Mikael, and each time it takes on a different air of it's own. His solo work has a different goal and feel with every new record as well. It seems like he just gets people who's music he enjoys, makes something rad with them, and calls it whatever he feels like. I like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back