Lets Talk Metal
Jan 30, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #22,366 of 29,663

Couldn't be much worse 
evil_smiley.gif
 St. Anger was appalling.

im assuming that the lou reed collaboration was a lot worse?

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #22,367 of 29,663
I've heard two tracks from it... Truly dreadful. And to think it's an eighty minute, two disc album. I've heard of guys doing the Lulu challenge. As in seeing who can get through the whole album. Tap out!

I just had an epiphany! Police could use it as a less-than-lethal crowd control measure!

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #22,368 of 29,663
I've heard two tracks from it... Truly dreadful. And to think it's an eighty minute, two disc album. I've heard of guys doing the Lulu challenge. As in seeing who can get through the whole album. Tap out!

I just had an epiphany! Police could use it as a less-than-lethal crowd control measure!

life is just 2 short for crap mate-do you watch mma bye the way

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #22,369 of 29,663
  Had to break out my Nuclear Blast albums to smell them, as I don't remember smelling anything other than that unique new album smell. Too old to tell if they smell different than anything else 
beyersmile.png

My most recent Nuclear Blast albums are made out of a paper like material.

Got any Century Media CDs? If you're into metal, I don't see how you couldn't. Anyway, those are the ones I remember having a great scent the highest percentage of the time.

If you smell any stuff which is printed, most has an ink smell. I figure it's a petrol base to first get the ink across the paper, then something to help it dry. What we are referring to here is the almost drug-like effect the freshly printed CD booklets had on us. They are a smell which is almost addicting (not almost, is is addicting) and an important part of the whole CD consumerist thing, which gets lost in downloading. You got the smell of fresh ink to smell, lyrics to read and a new CD to jam to when you arrive home. A lifestyle of sorts ?

Normal ink smells bad to me, so...it's gotta be a special type of scented ink to seduce people to buy more!

...Or it could be the paper itself that is scented. Perhaps one of us could email them and ask.

lol. Now I'm remembering the time I actually ordered CDs over the phone from Century Media.

I love it when music has that effect.went for a walk the other day with my hood up and was singing like an idiot to some crazy immolation track.
i have 1 track at the momement that im blasting through speakers -very addicted to it-its an ambient dub track with a kicking bass and acid overtones.

My favorite Immolation track:

lol. I used to watch a police drama show called Flashpoint. In one episode, they bring a mother into their mobile headquarters and she overhears that they're going to use "less lethal" methods against her criminal son. She freaks out at the wording. haha. They should have been like: "Oh, we'll kill him; just not as much.
wink.gif
" LOL!

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #22,371 of 29,663

life is just 2 short for crap mate-do you watch mma bye the way

If it's on I'll watch it, but I don't go out of my way. How about you?

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #22,373 of 29,663
Got any Century Media CDs? If you're into metal, I don't see how you couldn't. Anyway, those are the ones I remember having a great scent the highest percentage of the time.

Normal ink smells bad to me, so...it's gotta be a special type of scented ink to seduce people to buy more!

...Or it could be the paper itself that is scented. Perhaps one of us could email them and ask.

lol. Now I'm remembering the time I actually ordered CDs over the phone from Century Media.

My favorite Immolation track:

lol. I used to watch a police drama show called Flashpoint. In one episode, they bring a mother into their mobile headquarters and she overhears that they're going to use "less lethal" methods against her criminal son. She freaks out at the wording. haha. They should have been like: "Oh, we'll kill him; just not as much. :wink: " LOL!

It's funny how that is. New coats, new shoes, new girl friends. All an intoxicating aroma. What's with that?

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #22,374 of 29,663
I recently saw Starkill, Moonspell and Epica live.  I haven't really heard much Moonspell before the concert, but I'm a fan now!

Epica was ******* awesome as always!

Here is a couple crappy pics I took with my phone.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #22,377 of 29,663
  I recently saw Starkill, Moonspell and Epica live.  I haven't really heard much Moonspell before the concert, but I'm a fan now!

Moonspell and Tristania are sort of tied as my favorite gothic metal band. Moonspell is the only Portuguese band I know, which is significant since I'm 1/4 Portuguese.

Definitely listen to their (and Tristania's) discography sometime!

Wow, I never even heard of Starkill! Added to my list of bands to check out.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #22,378 of 29,663
I've been trying to re-enter the vinyl resurgence. And yeah, the experience with the album/artwork etc is great. But as soon as I hear even one click or pop, I am totally out of the music: never to return. Seriously, it's such a massive PITA for me that I pretty much regret buying a turntable or any new records.

Except when I listen to the Blu-Ray of Hand.Cannot.Erase and read the album notes and artwork from the LP version. I would love it if DVD-A and Blu-Ray audio came in full sized LP packages. Or sell the package with a link to a FLAC file or something...

It's a mental thing. It would be like visiting a neighbor who lived next to barking dogs. They don't hear the dogs, their mind sorts it out. Like looking past your windshield in the rain.

Close, but not quite. Regarding filtering of various stimuli in the brain, we have to remember that it's an entirely theoretical concept. Regardless, the normal concept of filtering doesn't hold up too well when comparing two separate variables. It has as much to do with behavioral tolerance as anything. The act of seeing past the windshield during the rain works precisely because the other variable isn't present: which would be no rain. We compensate, over time, for the visual distortion of the rain. This does not mean that the rain situation will ever become desirable: it merely becomes acceptable. One becomes acclimated to the irritant over time, but removing the irritant tends to increase the sensitivity, again over time.

In other words, why in the world would I tolerate clicks and pops when I have a version that doesn't have the distortion?

BTW- I'm just messing around. Nothing I wrote should be taken too seriously!

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #22,380 of 29,663
If the vinyl is a better-sounding master, the clicks and pops could be more easily tolerable, plus they can be removed if you rip it to digital and use software.

That is not necessary true. The best mastering, if there is more than one, will indeed be put on lp. However, often there is no good master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back