Lets Talk Metal
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #21,827 of 29,660
Just Japanese things
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #21,829 of 29,660
  I never get into deathspell omega. Too much atonality.

What about In Flames? They're melodic death metal (and melodic groove metal / alternative rock)...and my favorite band.

But seriously...Deathspell is black metal. How much "tonality" do you want in such a genre?
biggrin.gif

(Two melodic black metal bands I like are Old Man's Child and Naglfar.)

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #21,830 of 29,660

What about In Flames? They're melodic death metal (and melodic groove metal / alternative rock)...and my favorite band.

But seriously...Deathspell is black metal. How much "tonality" do you want in such a genre?
biggrin.gif

There is TONS of tonality in black metal, even raw black metal. O_o

Deathspell is in that special group like Portal and Mitochondrion where they're intentionally atonal, and that isn't just a term that means "doesn't sound pretty," it means that the scales and structures chosen are chaotic and avoiding standard conventions (strictly speaking, it means not residing in a specific key but that's being overly pedantic). Even bands like Paysage D'Hiver have melodies going on, despite the buzzsaw distortion and low-fi production.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #21,831 of 29,660
  There is TONS of tonality in black metal, even raw black metal. O_o

Deathspell is in that special group like Portal and Mitochondrion where they're intentionally atonal, and that isn't just a term that means "doesn't sound pretty," it means that the scales and structures chosen are chaotic and avoiding standard conventions (strictly speaking, it means not residing in a specific key but that's being overly pedantic). Even bands like Paysage D'Hiver have melodies going on, despite the buzzsaw distortion and low-fi production.

Sure, the songwriting is technically atonal sometimes, but like you said, there's still plenty of actual tonality in each note, just like any other BM band. (I never said it doesn't have tonality.) But on the other hand, you're not going to get audiophile-grade tonality like you would from a high quality acoustic recording. We're on the same page here...hopefully. Tonality and melody are completely separate, though. There can be endless variations of the same melody with different instruments, tonality, etc.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #21,832 of 29,660

Sure, the songwriting is technically atonal sometimes, but like you said, there's still plenty of actual tonality in each note, just like any other BM band. (I never said it doesn't have tonality.) But on the other hand, you're not going to get audiophile-grade tonality like you would from a high quality acoustic recording. We're on the same page here...hopefully. Tonality and melody are completely separate, though. There can be endless variations of the same melody with different instruments, tonality, etc.

Tonality doesn't refer to the quality of the notes, it refers to the composition, what key it's in and what scales it uses. You're confusing tonality with timbre.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #21,833 of 29,660
  Tonality doesn't refer to the quality of the notes, it refers to the composition, what key it's in and what scales it uses. You're confusing tonality with timbre.

There are two different types of tonality. You are thinking of "the character of a piece of music as determined by the key in which it is played or the relations between the notes of a scale or key"...but I am just talking about things like nasal tonality or deep tonality and so on, when the same note is being played but it sounds different. This is related to timbre ("the character or quality of a musical sound or voice as distinct from its pitch and intensity"), but timbre usually refers to how specific instruments sound. Tonality can refer to how a headphone reproduces a certain frequency. In this case, it just means tonal quality. There is often more than one definition for each word in the English language. yada yada...

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #21,834 of 29,660

No, you're confusing tonality with pitch.

Look it up on Google instead of trying to correct someone who has been a musician (vocals, piano, guitar, trombone) his entire life.
rolleyes.gif

However, there are two different types of tonality. You are thinking of "the character of a piece of music as determined by the key in which it is played or the relations between the notes of a scale or key"...but I am just talking about things like nasal tonality or deep tonality and so on, when the same note is being played but it sounds different. This is related to timbre ("the character or quality of a musical sound or voice as distinct from its pitch and intensity"), but timbre usually refers to how specific instruments sound. Tonality can refer to how a headphone reproduces a certain frequency. yada yada...

Hi there, piano, vocals, guitar, drums, was in musical theory in high school and musical theatre as well as choir both district and regional. Nice to meet you. See what happens when you assume?

So let me get this straight, you told me to google, which gives me:

A definition which is exactly what I said (and that you quoted, no less), and then you proceed to say that ISN'T the definition of it, despite the stuff you're talking about not showing up anywhere in the definition. Meanwhile...

Which is AGAIN what I said but you're once again telling me is the other way around. And yes, I see that Google also calls it a "synonym" for tonality, but that's not how this works because we're going by actual printed definitions.

Now since we're talking Deathspell Omega, a band who is known for their atonal compositions, I think it's a safe bet they weren't just referring to the distortion of it, meaning the previous poster was probably using "atonality" to mean the ACTUAL DEFINITION OF ATONALITY and not what you pulled out of thin air while you were up on your high horse thinking you're better than me because you played a few instruments like that makes you different from the rest of us peasants.

I'm done here.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: and for the record, "pitch" is just the same as what note is being played, and isn't what I was talking about either. For someone who claims to have been a lifelong musician you sure do screw up your terms a lot.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #21,835 of 29,660

When I said tonality, I meant tone in this case. You were confusing it with the other meaning of tonality, that's all.

I was multitasking and edited my post as well. When you were talking about composition, I thought you just meant the various notes being at different pitches, while I was referring to how the same pitch/note can sound different depending on the tone/timbre.

http://www.easyeartraining.com/faqs/whats-the-difference-between-tone-timbre-and-texture/
http://resource.takelessons.com/understanding-tone-and-timbre/

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #21,836 of 29,660
FAS and Paracletus are in my top10 records. I try to listen to them only occasionally so the chance of momorizing the songs wouldn't be too high. It would take away the magik!

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #21,837 of 29,660

biggrin.gif

I really love In Flames (the old one). I cannot fathom with the direction they chose now.

Sorry maybe I'm wrong. In my opinion, black metal can have much tonality with other sub genres especially symphonic and atmospheric black metal.

(Really love shade empire - omega arcane)

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #21,838 of 29,660

Thanks guys for these. Depressive BM has not been a subgenre I have been on-top of, but I feel slightly apart of it now.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #21,839 of 29,660

Is the Silencer Demo anything worth looking for?

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #21,840 of 29,660
Continuing with metal references in TV series Limitless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back