Lets Talk Metal
Nov 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #21,271 of 29,659
These two pieces really need proper Metal versions.

So Metal but also not Metal ♥

Nazi Band.

That's all you need to know.

Beethoven's 2nd Symphony is a crass monster, a hideously writhing wounded dragon, that refuses to expire, and though bleeding in the Finale, furiously beats about with its tail erect."
Zeitung fur die Elegente Welt Vienna, May 1804

On the Fidelio Overture: "...incoherent, shrill, chaotic and ear-splitting...The most piercing dissonances clash in a really atrocious harmony, and a few puny ideas only increase the disagreeable and deafening effect."
Kotzebue, Der Freimutige Vienna 9/11/1806

On Piano Sonata Op.111 m2: "The greater portion of it is written in 9/16, but a part is in 6/16, and about a page in 12/32. All this really is laborious trifling, and ought to be by every means discouraged by the sensible part of the musical profession...We have devoted a full hour to this enigma, and cannot solve it."
The Harmonicon London Aug 1823

On the 7th Symphony: "...a great deal of disagreeable eccentricity...Altogether, it seems to have been intended as a kind of enigma - we had almost said a hoax."
The Harmonicon London July 1825

On String Quartet #13: "To quote an ingeniously picturesque saying from one of our foremost composers... Beethoven's imagination in the Finale suggests a poor swallow flitting incessantly in a hermetically sealed box, to the annoyance of our eyes and ears."
Blanchard, Revue et Gazette Musicale de Paris 4/15/1849

On the Piano Sonata Op.106 Finale (Hammerklavier): "...a raw and undigested mass (mess?)"
Lenz, "Beethoven et ses trois styles" Paris 1855

On the 5th Symphony 3rd movement ending: "Here you have a fragment of 44 measures, where Beethoven deemed it necessary to suspend the habeas corpus of music by stripping it of all that might resemble melody, harmony and any sort of rhythm...Is it music, yes or no? If I am answered in the affirmative, I would say that this does not belong to the art which I am in the habit of considering as music."
Oulibicheff Beethoven, ses critiques et ses glossateurs" Paris 1857

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #21,272 of 29,659
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKqAJ94WfzRfvZ2UDY2OBsOVSjWfTKWMmSXWXMl7NCdfpKJPWNqMUYkrXKiCQabpPfK78Yq-&time_continue=106&v=MZuSaudKc68

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #21,273 of 29,659
On the new Opeth Deliverance/Damnation on LP, Damnation sounds fine to me. Deliverance, as I remember it from CD (I don't have it) this feels like less engaging. It's a good thing there's now more sides to flip so it feels more bite-sized in parts and not a colossal block. The record really isn't that good is it? I wanted it to be good and sound good but it's not doing it for me :frowning2: Pretty sad about it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #21,274 of 29,659
On the new Opeth Deliverance/Damnation on LP, Damnation sounds fine to me. Deliverance, as I remember it from CD (I don't have it) this feels like less engaging. It's a good thing there's now more sides to flip so it feels more bite-sized in parts and not a colossal block. The record really isn't that good is it? I wanted it to be good and sound good but it's not doing it for me :frowning2: Pretty sad about it.

I had an original Deliverance on LP but now just the CD. Damnation has always been a favorite. Reading about the mixing and mastering of the original Damnation, they said the mix was a little sloppy and have made improvements with the new box set. I have both editions now and the new Damnation does sound maybe better. I played the original CD for a bit but have not made a concentrated effort to try and hear a mix difference. I was one who was happy with the original Damnation mix?

Knowing Opeth fans, there must be ample reviews out there comparing the two Damnation editions. As far a Delverance goes, I think you just have to spend more time with it.

The original vinyl was totally amazing sounding as I remember in 2008, one of my best sounding modern records. I can't figure this new one would be bad? Still you can never tell?

Is your issue really with both the music and SQ? That is a surprise. Damnation/Deliverance both are held pretty high regard among Opeth fans. The few here at Head-Fi have posted their opinions in the thread I made about putting your Opeth records in order if you heard them all.

I play Damnation more now. My suggestion is just keep playing Deliverance and see if it grows on ya?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/430124/what-are-your-favorite-top-five-opeth-albums

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #21,275 of 29,659
Beethoven's 2nd Symphony is a crass monster, a hideously writhing wounded dragon, that refuses to expire, and though bleeding in the Finale, furiously beats about with its tail erect."
Zeitung fur die Elegente Welt Vienna, May 1804

On the Fidelio Overture: "...incoherent, shrill, chaotic and ear-splitting...The most piercing dissonances clash in a really atrocious harmony, and a few puny ideas only increase the disagreeable and deafening effect."
Kotzebue, Der Freimutige Vienna 9/11/1806

On Piano Sonata Op.111 m2: "The greater portion of it is written in 9/16, but a part is in 6/16, and about a page in 12/32. All this really is laborious trifling, and ought to be by every means discouraged by the sensible part of the musical profession...We have devoted a full hour to this enigma, and cannot solve it."
The Harmonicon London Aug 1823

On the 7th Symphony: "...a great deal of disagreeable eccentricity...Altogether, it seems to have been intended as a kind of enigma - we had almost said a hoax."
The Harmonicon London July 1825

On String Quartet #13: "To quote an ingeniously picturesque saying from one of our foremost composers... Beethoven's imagination in the Finale suggests a poor swallow flitting incessantly in a hermetically sealed box, to the annoyance of our eyes and ears."
Blanchard, Revue et Gazette Musicale de Paris 4/15/1849

On the Piano Sonata Op.106 Finale (Hammerklavier): "...a raw and undigested mass (mess?)"
Lenz, "Beethoven et ses trois styles" Paris 1855

On the 5th Symphony 3rd movement ending: "Here you have a fragment of 44 measures, where Beethoven deemed it necessary to suspend the habeas corpus of music by stripping it of all that might resemble melody, harmony and any sort of rhythm...Is it music, yes or no? If I am answered in the affirmative, I would say that this does not belong to the art which I am in the habit of considering as music."
Oulibicheff Beethoven, ses critiques et ses glossateurs" Paris 1857

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I read in my Undergrad work.  That was a long time ago,a nd now that I'm in grad school it kinda feels like kindergarten 
biggrin.gif

Beside, I was too lazy/busy to look it up.  thanks for that!

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #21,276 of 29,659

Brand new at Massdrop, these Fostex TH X00 are going to be the best $399 metal headphone out there?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review#post_12102833

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #21,277 of 29,659

Brand new at Massdrop, these Fostex TH X00 are going to be the best $399 metal headphone out there?

If they are even remotely as good as TH900's, that is one crazy deal!

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #21,278 of 29,659
Nov 25, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #21,279 of 29,659

They are suppose to be better?

Where did you see the claim that these $400 headphones are supposed to be better than the much more expensive TH-900?

(The STAX SR-207 is easily better than any non-electrostat regardless of price, in my opinion, and it's $390 or less. I got a used one for $180.)

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #21,280 of 29,659
I had an original Deliverance on LP but now just the CD. Damnation has always been a favorite. Reading about the mixing and mastering of the original Damnation, they said the mix was a little sloppy and have made improvements with the new box set. I have both editions now and the new Damnation does sound maybe better. I played the original CD for a bit but have not made a concentrated effort to try and hear a mix difference. I was one who was happy with the original Damnation mix?

Knowing Opeth fans, there must be ample reviews out there comparing the two Damnation editions. As far a Delverance goes, I think you just have to spend more time with it.

The original vinyl was totally amazing sounding as I remember in 2008, one of my best sounding modern records. I can't figure this new one would be bad? Still you can never tell?

Is your issue really with both the music and SQ? That is a surprise. Damnation/Deliverance both are held pretty high regard among Opeth fans. The few here at Head-Fi have posted their opinions in the thread I made about putting your Opeth records in order if you heard them all.

I play Damnation more now. My suggestion is just keep playing Deliverance and see if it grows on ya?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/430124/what-are-your-favorite-top-five-opeth-albums

It could be that it just needs more time. Maybe I shouldn't downtalk Opeth anyways :3 But right now I'd much rather listen to Still Life or BWP.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #21,282 of 29,659
Aa
 It could be that it just needs more time. Maybe I shouldn't downtalk Opeth anyways :3 But right now I'd much rather listen to Still Life or BWP.

Do you have an old CD of Deliverance? The reason I say this is the new mix/remaster is very quiet to my ears. I did a quick comparison with ALAC of the original CD (too lazy to search out my actual 16/44.1 CD original I have filed away) and I have noticed a dramatic reduction in volume from the original.

We can view this as a way to get better DR from Deliverance and no brickwall. Still one issue I have personally had trouble with is getting enough volume from my turntable/turntable preamp. Thus too little volume and everything becomes less dramatic?

If your system is reaching to get to an optimum volume level with vinyl, even a better DR master printed to wax is not going to thrill your ears at times.You should play the vinyl and A/B it to a CD of the same album. Remember though I write this and don't own the original(2008 Koch) vinyl anymore or have heard the new edition on vinyl.

Deliverance as an album did not click for me anyway until the third listen back in 2008, if I remember right? The original vinyl was a loud master. No DR or brickwalled I don't know, the original vinyl sounded great to me at the time?

Edit:

Well, it turns out others who are familiar with the original CD of Deliverance are not happy with the new edition. They like the new Damnation but bag on the sound of 2015s Deliverance.

All I can say it this is not the first time something like this has happened. I have often wished I had not sold original CDs after getting the remastered editions. Many times the originals are the best.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #21,283 of 29,659
Where did you see the claim that these $400 headphones are supposed to be better than the much more expensive TH-900?

(The STAX SR-207 is easily better than any non-electrostat regardless of price, in my opinion, and it's $390 or less. I got a used one for $180.)

If you listen to Jude talk about Foster Electronics reaching the sound signature goals, Jude expresses a flat, less V shape signature. He goes on to to express a reduction in bass and lower mid bass and even a smoothing of the highs. These are all characteristics that make the early models exciting and fun but are noticeably farther from a flat response.

Obviously we will have to hear the opinions from members who own both headphones. Did you watch the entire video?

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #21,284 of 29,659
If you listen to Jude talk about Foster Electronics reaching the sound signature goals, Jude expresses a flat, less V shape signature. He goes on to to express a reduction in bass and lower mid bass and even a smoothing of the highs. These are all characteristics that make the early models exciting and fun but are noticeably farther from a flat response.

Frequency response / tonal balance is only one of many factors involved in sound quality. You can make any headphone more neutral via EQ, but that can't make a $100 dynamic headphone sound like a multi-thousand-dollar electrostat, for example. I have seen no evidence that it's better than the TH-900 aside from perhaps that one thing.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #21,285 of 29,659
Frequency response / tonal balance is only one of many factors involved in sound quality. You can make any headphone more neutral via EQ, but that can't make a $100 dynamic headphone sound like a multi-thousand-dollar electrostat, for example. I have seen no evidence that it's better than the TH-900 aside from perhaps that one thing.

I never EQ. Ha, I glad you agree you can only go so far with it. Some argue that fact.

I agree that it is all speculation at this point. Though much of the time we will see a trickle down of expensive audio technology, especially at Massdrop. Still it will be fun to find out how well it does metal music.

Cheers.

I'm going out to photograph images to turn into paintings today with Dynamic Auto Painting Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back