Lets Talk Metal
Jun 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #19,576 of 29,659
Catching up with a month or more of posts, and it sounded like it was really important that Risk came out in 1999. Lol.

Risk is better than the last two Megadeth albums!

Many didn't like Endgame that much but I thought it was cool?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ONRlrJk5e8

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #19,577 of 29,659
Yeah, I didn't mind Endgame. I enjoyed Broderick's playing, and Dave sounds better and better since his accident years ago. Look forward to hearing the new one. Still a shame they couldn't get Freidman back in, as he always approached the leads from a unique perspective, and his playing recently only reaffirms that.

My main recollection of Risk is that it was the first album of theirs I got, and I was pretty confused. I had heard a few songs from Rust and thought, I need some of this. My dad went down to the music store and picked up Risk, Number of the Beast, Reign in Blood and Screaming for Vengeance. Needless to say, Risk got the least amount of play time in my CD player. Lol. I revisited it later and found an appreciation, but I wasn't ready at the time.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #19,578 of 29,659
Yeah, I didn't mind Endgame. I enjoyed Broderick's playing, and Dave sounds better and better since his accident years ago. Look forward to hearing the new one. Still a shame they couldn't get Freidman back in, as he always approached the leads from a unique perspective, and his playing recently only reaffirms that.

My main recollection of Risk is that it was the first album of theirs I got, and I was pretty confused. I had heard a few songs from Rust and thought, I need some of this. My dad went down to the music store and picked up Risk, Number of the Beast, Reign in Blood and Screaming for Vengeance. Needless to say, Risk got the least amount of play time in my CD player. Lol. I revisited it later and found an appreciation, but I wasn't ready at the time.

I think that if I heard Reign In Blood, Screaming for Vengeance, Number of The Beast then played Risk at the end I may throw the CD away. Still it is not as bad as people make it out to be. The CDs you posted are all straight up 10 / 10s and Risk is maybe a 6 out of 10 I think?

Risk is the last album by the classic line up. I'm actually sorry that was your first album. You could have purchased any Megadeth album before it and done way, way better as you know now.

The only reason Risk came up was in referring to a weird moment in metal history. And Risk was also a weird record. It was trying to be commercial rock and Megadeth's fan base went crazy in disgust. The album is experimental and just like the cover of the mouse trap shows maybe, you get away with the cheese or you get killed and Megadeth got kill. Lol

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #19,579 of 29,659
How old are you? I really was that way as a youth. The whole nine yards of it all! Believe me.

Your idea is correct though. Go for a replacement if you can stick to it. It can be most anything. Do you really think all those high talking (better than sheet) folks in the 12 step programs don't have a replacement? I promise you they all have something, even if it is just the program.

25, and yes many times the programs become their obsession, Toby Morse of H2O is so intoxicated with straightedge it might as well be a drug

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #19,581 of 29,659
New album of a local band called Thurm.
Some pretty nasty Black Metal!

You can get the whole album "for free" here: https://narshardaa.bandcamp.com/album/thurm-s-t-lp

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #19,582 of 29,659
  New album of a local band called Thurm.
Some pretty nasty Black Metal!

You can get the whole album "for free" here: https://narshardaa.bandcamp.com/album/thurm-s-t-lp

Cool. Will listen to it soon enough.

Although it has already been released digitally, I updated the official release date for the album here: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Thurm/Thurm/516964

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #19,583 of 29,659
25, and yes many times the programs become their obsession, Toby Morse of H2O is so intoxicated with straightedge it might as well be a drug

Yes, 25 was the top of my drinking ability. For some reason I thought you were way older.

There is some kind of superhuman ability at that age to really really drink. I didn't find out I was an alcoholic till I was 31. After that a lot of my self understanding changed. I obtained my first divorce went to AA for about 4 years but stopped drinking for twenty years. Again I replaced drinking with other stuff. Still I found at 31 I had a lot of resentment towards drinking. I hated the hangovers!

You can replace drinking with exercise too. Going to AA was cool, still it's kind of boring, that's why I stopped. Everyone said I would start drinking as soon as I stopped going to AA?

They scare you in AA that your disease is progressing every year and that if you were to drink it would be mentally like you had been drinking for the full twenty years( if you stopped for twenty years)? I did not find that to be true?

Here is the new High On Fire album that came out two days ago. The recovery album for x-Sleep singer guitar player Matt Pike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeb9a4nuC6Y

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #19,584 of 29,659
Yes, 25 was the top of my drinking ability. For some reason I thought you were way older.

There is some kind of superhuman ability at that age to really really drink. I didn't find out I was an alcoholic till I was 31. After that a lot of my self understanding changed. I obtained my first divorce went to AA for about 4 years but stopped drinking for twenty years. Again I replaced drinking with other stuff. Still I found at 31 I had a lot of resentment towards drinking. I hated the hangovers!

You can replace drinking with exercise too. Going to AA was cool, still it's kind of boring, that's why I stopped. Everyone said I would start drinking as soon as I stopped going to AA?

They scare you in AA that your disease is progressing every year and that if you were to drink it would be mentally like you had been drinking for the full twenty years( if you stopped for twenty years)? I did not find that to be true?

Here is the new High On Fire album that came out two days ago. The recovery album for x-Sleep singer guitar player Matt Pike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeb9a4nuC6Y

AA in itself is a farce, realistically and scientifically. I just need to find the right strains of weed for what point of day.

A year ago my family would have crucified me, but I only got a scolding for accidentally just getting my little sister high. Oh and I just ordered seeds to grow specifically for my mom.

Time is *****in' weird, man

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #19,585 of 29,659
AA in itself is a farce, realistically and scientifically. I just need to find the right strains of weed for what point of day.

A year ago my family would have crucified me, but I only got a scolding for accidentally just getting my little sister high. Oh and I just ordered seeds to grow specifically for my mom.

Actually, science doesn't show NA/AA as a farce. There are some studies that show mild and/or decent efficacy, while others explain that some of the techniques are sound in science.

I have seen it work for many people, but personally, I have the same experience as Redcarmoose. It wasn't working for me, and I took control of my own recovery (but I actually did put a recovery plan in to action, not just say "no more"). But that's the thing, everybody is different and thus, everybody needs to tackle their addiction in a different way. One of the things I don't like about NA is that that they push that their way is the only way. It's 12 steps, or addiction, and that's just not true.

So, I'm entirely neutral to it all, it didn't work for me, but I know that it has worked for others.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #19,586 of 29,659
MMM, it's like the feeling before shock treatment, but without the negatives

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #19,587 of 29,659
Actually, science doesn't show NA/AA as a farce. There are some studies that show mild and/or decent efficacy, while others explain that some of the techniques are sound in science.

I have seen it work for many people, but personally, I have the same experience as Redcarmoose. It wasn't working for me, and I took control of my own recovery (but I actually did put a recovery plan in to action, not just say "no more"). But that's the thing, everybody is different and thus, everybody needs to tackle their addiction in a different way. One of the things I don't like about NA is that that they push that their way is the only way. It's 12 steps, or addiction, and that's just not true.

So, I'm entirely neutral to it all, it didn't work for me, but I know that it has worked for others.

Talking about addiction, I was smoking till 2013 but now addicted to nicotine gums. Have to find some kind of resolve to stop that. Never thought, I would be chewing nicotine gum for such a long time

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #19,589 of 29,659

We have all read the stories in the history of metal. The genre is full of tales like Randy Rhoads dive bombing Ozzy's house (in a small plane) to wake him up, after being coked up all night, only to crash and die.

For what ever reason metal and the folks involved are surrounded by substance and substance abuse. I have no answer though it sounds like your totally on the right track. 12 step programs do work for some people and I did learn a lot. Still you have to find what makes you happy in life. I truly have no regrets about the heavy drinking I used to do. I had a ton of fun. Still it is wisdom to figure out when it can not go on and on. Heavy drinking catches up at some point maybe in a year or maybe in 30 years. It's a mystery like that?

It is easy to try and stop drinking huge amounts before such things as financial loss, loss of a spouse or DWI set in. Or worse .......death. The tricky part is the whole condition is just waiting. So I drink maybe ten times a year. Two pints of beer one day. Two stiff drinks another. I drink almost like a normal person. I can even drink one beer and stop. Still there is no guarantee that I could not just wake up one day and start drinking like a fish again. That is the trippy part.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #19,590 of 29,659
We have all read the stories in the history of metal. The genre is full of tales like Randy Rhoads dive bombing Ozzy's house (in a small plane) to wake him up, after being coked up all night, only to crash and die.

For what ever reason metal and the folks involved are surrounded by substance and substance abuse. I have no answer though it sounds like your totally on the right track. 12 step programs do work for some people and I did learn a lot. Still you have to find what makes you happy in life. I truly have no regrets about the heavy drinking I used to do. I had a ton of fun. Still it is wisdom to figure out when it can not go on and on. Heavy drinking catches up at some point maybe in a year or maybe in 30 years. It's a mystery like that?

It is easy to try and stop drinking huge amounts before such things as financial loss, loss of a spouse or DWI set in. Or worse .......death. The tricky part is the whole condition is just waiting. So I drink maybe ten times a year. Two pints of beer one day. Two stiff drinks another. I drink almost like a normal person. I can even drink one beer and stop. Still there is no guarantee that I could not just wake up one day and start drinking like a fish again. That is the trippy part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back