Lets Talk Metal
Jun 22, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #19,546 of 29,656
That is from 2009 right? I have heard it but don't own it.:beers:

That's right. It seemed to divide fans, some preferring Salvation. I actually prefer Marantha. There's a lot of thought into the anti Christian/Satanic lyrics along the lines of DSO on this album. I find the whole album pretty disturbing. It's more varied and experimental than Salvation I would say maybe deviating from the BM bluepring in terms of texture and atmosphere.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #19,547 of 29,656
DSO?

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #19,549 of 29,656
Jun 22, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #19,550 of 29,656
Jun 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #19,552 of 29,656
I keep forgetting that I own that new DHG. I'm not sure if that means it's not too great our not. I like it, but it surely didn't blow me away like the new Maladie. This has been a really good year for strange black metal.

As mentioned earlier, Maladie is stellar. Don't know exactly why, but everytime I listen to it, I want to follow up immediately with another beast that was released recently - Zatokrev's Silk Spiders Underwater. Genrewise, a psychedelic, hypnotic mix of sludge, doom, black metal and even hints of grunge. Quite unpredictable to boot. As one review put it, "nodding to Neurosis, Celtic Frost, Godflesh, Gojira, but remaining distinctive" - and I am not particularly fond of any of those, so Zatokrev is clearly up to something special here.

http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/silk-spiders-underwater-2

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #19,553 of 29,656
I keep forgetting that I own that new DHG. I'm not sure if that means it's not too great our not. I like it, but it surely didn't blow me away like the new Maladie. This has been a really good year for strange black metal.

As mentioned earlier, Maladie is stellar. Don't know exactly why, but everytime I listen to it, I want to follow up immediately with another beast that was released recently - Zatokrev's Silk Spiders Underwater. Genrewise, a psychedelic, hypnotic mix of sludge, doom, black metal and even hints of grunge. Quite unpredictable to boot. As one review put it, "nodding to Neurosis, Celtic Frost, Godflesh, Gojira, but remaining distinctive" - and I am not particularly fond of any of those, so Zatokrev is clearly up to something special here.

http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/silk-spiders-underwater-2

You know, the last time I bought music I listened to a track or two of that album and dismissed it as too sludgy for my tastes, the vocals especially. I will have to give it more attention I suppose.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #19,554 of 29,656
In case people missed out on the news:

Did they finally go full prog? :D

I'm excited for this.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #19,555 of 29,656
  Did they finally go full prog? :D

I'm excited for this.

I can't wait to hear that album and I've been obsessively checking HD tracks every day for the two albums that should be on there soon. It's killing me...

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #19,557 of 29,656

Hey, so I was wondering what your plans were for future headphones. I ask because it looks like you focused most of your budget on speakers, with headphones as only a secondary thing. I've gotten so many headphones this year. (See profile.) Finally getting my first STAX system and hope to expand into better electrostats soon enough.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #19,558 of 29,656

Hey, so I was wondering what your plans were for future headphones. I ask because it looks like you focused most of your budget on speakers, with headphones as only a secondary thing. I've gotten so many headphones this year. (See profile.) Finally getting my first STAX system and hope to expand into better electrostats soon enough.

Well first off I'm kind of dealing with substance abuse (booze) and am trying to switch to a more natural, less harmful vice.... so audio in general isn't even in the picture.

That being said, I would probably end up going low-mid with Beyer 880-250's

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #19,559 of 29,656
  Well first off I'm kind of dealing with substance abuse (booze) and am trying to switch to a more natural, less harmful vice.... so audio in general isn't even in the picture.

That being said, I would probably end up going low-mid with Beyer 880-250's

Ah, I see. Good luck! I'm addicted to energy drinks.

I used to own the DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω. Very good headphone, but my amp at the time apparently limited it. Sounded too gentle and polite, and didn't have the impact and dynamics it should have, that some say it does have with a better amp.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #19,560 of 29,656

Ah, I see. Good luck! I'm addicted to energy drinks.

I used to own the DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω. Very good headphone, but my amp at the time apparently limited it. Sounded too gentle and polite, and didn't have the impact and dynamics it should have, that some say it does have with a better amp.

I have had the 600 ohm editions too. They sounded heavenly, but the headband was so godd*mned loose it drove me insane. That was when I had the Maverick D2/A1 combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back