Lets Talk Metal
Jun 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #19,231 of 29,655
Bathory could even be maybe slightly dated. Still it is almost something you can't even say. The influence they had on Black Metal is almost everywhere. After you hear a lot of Bathory you then hear Bathory in so much of the music. I mainly hear Bathory in Immortal and Enslaved but it is everywhere.

Really start with the first 4 or 5 albums. His last two albums are great too! I forget but Black Metal style does not show up till the second album and the Viking style does not show up till something like the third and forth album.

So you could say Bathory created both the Viking genre and the Black Metal sub-genre.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #19,232 of 29,655
Well well well. New Gorgoroth album :) Nice..

Gorgoroth – Instinctus Bestialis

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #19,233 of 29,655
Well well well. New Gorgoroth album :) Nice..

Gorgoroth – Instinctus Bestialis

Cool.

So one album here is the first Black Metal album and one is not?

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #19,234 of 29,655
Pretty much insisted listening on thread like this. The IMOCF CD is really essential for any metal CD collection. Basically along with Bathory Celtic Frost influenced the whole extreme genre even to the point of wearing corpse paint. In so many ways they started it all and you can always read in either a bands name, a song name how dedicated the community is to them.

Respect!

I know I'm a little harsh towards some bands from that era, but at the time bands like Celtic Frost and Bathory went out alone, with virtually no support, and literally changed the soundscape forever.  They opened doors no one thought even existed. Listening to them even as late as 1987 was an amazing experience, as this new sound seemed to come out of nowhere.

Metallica may have made real metal popular, but the other guys took it to depths that changed everything for those of us who crave something a bit more adventurous and challenging.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #19,235 of 29,655
Respect!

I know I'm a little harsh towards some bands from that era, but at the time bands like Celtic Frost and Bathory went out alone, with virtually no support, and literally changed the soundscape forever.  They opened doors no one thought even existed. Listening to them even as late as 1987 was an amazing experience, as this new sound seemed to come out of nowhere.

Metallica may have made real metal popular, but the other guys took it to depths that changed everything for those of us who crave something a bit more adventurous and challenging.

Celtic Frost is kind of like an artist way too far ahead of his time. They had a hard time and were a failure in the U.S. I actually remember seeing posters for them playing in ****ty US bars at night. Still a few in Europe were getting ahold of their records. I'm not a Celtic Frost fan that much. I own a couple albums but I think I do give them credit for what they have done in their lifetime

They were weirdos because they showed up 10 years too early.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #19,236 of 29,655
Not only did Celtic Frost change the genre they made a record which showed how advanced they were. The record was so experimental it was beyond the understanding of most and became a failure.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Pandemonium
Even now listening to Into the Pandemonium is a wearing experience that takes a lot from the listener. It is one of metal's worst "What were they thinking?" records. Maybe some like it?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #19,237 of 29,655
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5LVTuK4emU

This new Graveworm may be as good as their last record. There was a day Graveworm sounded exactly like Cradle of Filth, now they sound better than our beloved COF.:D

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #19,238 of 29,655
Bathory could even be maybe slightly dated. Still it is almost something you can't even say. The influence they had on Black Metal is almost everywhere. After you hear a lot of Bathory you then hear Bathory in so much of the music. I mainly hear Bathory in Immortal and Enslaved but it is everywhere.

Bathory is really dated, not slightly.  but...historically essential and if one is already a fan of early-sounding primitive black or even general 80's extreme metal then Bathory is really enjoyable.  I'm a fan myself (my favourite is Under the sign of the Black mark)  but i also understand that none of Quorthon's work is any more suitable to introduce people to black metal then Venom's early output ha ha ha

As to the whole Celtic Frost thing...i'm a superfan so i don't have much to say, other than one shouldn't talk about their historical importance without mentioning Warriors first output with Hellhammer...looking back, they were total game changers in 1983!   Also we shouldn't forget that Celtic Frost was (somewhat) equal parts Martin Ain and Tom Warrior, unlike Triptykon which is pure Warrior.  There is a big difference in sound and experimentation between CF and Triptykon, at least to me.  

anyone interested really needs to read Tom Warrior's amazing book Only Death is Real, a look into the early extreme scene and a lot of fun Celtic Frost trivia

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #19,239 of 29,655
This new Graveworm may be as good as their last record. There was a day Graveworm sounded exactly like Cradle of Filth, now they sound better than our beloved COF.
biggrin.gif

Fun fact: Moritz Neuner, former drummer of Graveworm, did session drums on Abigor's 2001 album, Satanized (A Journey Through Cosmic Infinity)!

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #19,240 of 29,655
Celtic Frost is kind of like an artist way too far ahead of his time. They had a hard time and were a failure in the U.S. I actually remember seeing posters for them playing in ****ty US bars at night. Still a few in Europe were getting ahold of their records. I'm not a Celtic Frost fan that much. I own a couple albums but I think I do give them credit for what they have done in their lifetime

They were weirdos because they showed up 10 years too early.

It just happens that Steel for Brains just posted a fascinating interview with Tom where they discuss these and other related issues: http://steelforbrains.com/post/120449586812/abyss-within-my-soul-a-conversation-with-thomas

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #19,241 of 29,655

Who is brave enough to have taken a bath with the real Bathory? Not I!

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #19,243 of 29,655
Am I the only one here who doesn't like Bathory?
I think they are pretty boring, but I can't thank them enough for inspiring some of my favorite bands.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #19,245 of 29,655
  Am I the only one here who doesn't like Bathory?
I think they are pretty boring, but I can't thank them enough for inspiring some of my favorite bands.

Have you heard the song "Blood Fire Death"?

I'm not that into Bathory, mainly due to not hearing or remembering the other songs, but that song is one of my favorites of all time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back