Lets Talk Metal
May 20, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #18,889 of 29,663
Those 55 PM monoblocks look cool, just read the 6 Moons review.

Cheers!:stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you checked them out. They are cool. I've just had them one evening so I'm still putting them through their paces. Last night I played Solstifar, Orange Goblin and the acoustic version of Quiet Storm. I'll try to throw some extreme metal at them tonight.

So, far I'm impressed. The guy I've worked with looks for these great little small companies-stuff you won't find in the large retail places even retail high end audio-that have a good price/performance ratio. I wasn't looking specifically for monoblocks, didn't even know what they were, until I heard these. I'm still a neophyte but learning!

But, looking at monoblocks, the thing is you would normally spend a lot and these guys, while not cheap, are quite affordable in the so called high end audio world. Really per price you'd have to call these budget. But, people who have them love them and have some pretty over the top systems with these little guys. I think they compete with the big boys. They'll have their Clones amp w/ source and speakers 4 x the price kind of thing.

It's a step up for me from the same line-I bought the Clones Audio 25p power amplifier. Had some great reviews and I liked it when I heard it. It has a sweet, musical sound but perhaps is best with more intimate music. Hello!! I listen to metal
angry_face.gif
. But, they do/did sound really nice with folk, mellow music, electronic, pop jazz, etc. Maybe better than the 55s. But, I guess it's like HPs in that you have to decide what is the majority of your music. I like all that other stuff, but the majority of what I listen to falls broadly in the perimeters of heavy rock and metal. I really want something that, yes, is musical but can pull off heavy ass music.

The 55pm are reported to have more grunt and muscle which should translate well for the music I listen to. So, far, I'd say yes in a big way-robust sound, touch of warmth, markedly better imaging, extension on the high and low end. The base in particular. The 25 was nice, but this is definitely a step up. They should work for a variety of speakers other than the most demanding. 

The more I learn the more I'm amazed how it is indeed largely about matching components, synergy. The affect amplification has on my system is dramatic. The amp really can transform decent speakers into something altogether better. I used to think it was speakers, now I'm realizing source and electronics are just as important. All the sound signature aspects I had attributed to speakers-soundstage, imaging, impact, etc.

And, for a cramped space like I've got they're small and can be stacked and work just fine a in desktop environment....at least for me. I've got them under a computer desk by my feet no problem.

Here's a review:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/05/clones-audio-55pm-mono-power-amplifier.html

May 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #18,890 of 29,663
Guys, I just want to say thank you for keeping this thread alive. I have gotten a lot of great recommendations over the years and even made a few friends too by engaging with all of you.

As a result, this thread is the basis now for a whole dedicated forum that we hope some of you might call a second home (after HFi).

Anyway, check out AMG or MFi for the official announcement. I won't link the forum directly here since that maybe against HFi rules (I don't really know).

Cheers!

May 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #18,891 of 29,663
Guys, I just want to say thank you for keeping this thread alive. I have gotten a lot of great recommendations over the years and even made a few friends too by engaging with all of you.

As a result, this thread is the basis now for a whole dedicated forum that we hope some of you might call a second home (after HFi).

Anyway, check out AMG or MFi for the official announcement. I won't link the forum directly here since that maybe against HFi rules (I don't really know).

Cheers!

Yeahhhh !!! I am a celebrity now :)

May 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #18,892 of 29,663

Cheers!

Its a very good thread mate.Im suprised at how diverse peoples tastes are here.I thought i was the only one who listened to all genres.
However the more new music i hear the more i realise that the early stuff is better.

May 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #18,893 of 29,663

Cheers!

Great news!
Gonna sign up for sure :)

The amount of hate this band is getting is just silly.
Sure, their singer is a smug and pretentious hipster, but the music is legit good!
Black Metal does not have to be all trve and kvlt. Actually not a fan of this whole "trve" thing. Seems a bit childish to me.
This whole talk about "true" Metal in general is kind of stupid to me. Don't get me started on Manowar...

May 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #18,894 of 29,663
Well, that's marketing for the most part.

And really just kind of fake garbage. I know metal lyrics are far from authentic but they should still at least capture a feeling or sentiment you have, even if you're taking it to extreme levels. Except I guess with gore metal and similar genres, where it's so ridiculous you're (almost) positive they aren't serious.

I guess I like my lyrics to just have some sort of authenticity and not wrote only to convey a certain image the marketing department of a label gives you. There's also plenty of authentic lyrics that are absolutely horrid and bigoted and that just helps me in knowing not to support a certain band. But then there's those bands that make great music that you like, like Burzum, (I absolutely love Filosofem and think everything else from him is pretty mediocre or outright musical trash) but it's really a challenge when you learn how big of a giant **** Varg is.

I know this discussion already kind of took place but lyrics and authenticity in metal is such an interesting topic of discussion I feel. 

Well, yeah. It's fake. I personally don't dig all that satanic rebellion bs.

Which part is the marketing? lol

The satanic themes they sing just for kicks. While they are christians :p

May 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #18,895 of 29,663
I don't know if you guys consider them metal (funk metal), but Primus is one hell of a band. Obviously Les gets all the praise because he is an insane bassist, but Larry LaLonde is a pretty unique guitarist at least, and Tim Alexander is an amazing drummer with a really, really great style.

May 20, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #18,896 of 29,663
Great news!

Gonna sign up for sure :)

[rule]The amount of hate this band is getting is just silly.

Sure, their singer is a smug and pretentious hipster, but the music is legit good!

Black Metal does not have to be all trve and kvlt. Actually not a fan of this whole "trve" thing. Seems a bit childish to me.

This whole talk about "true" Metal in general is kind of stupid to me. Don't get me started on Manowar...

I don't love liturgy but the new disk is pretty cool, very unique. I like how they're "serious" but in a different than kvlt kind of way

May 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #18,897 of 29,663

Cheers!

Cool! If I wasn't so dedicated to Head-Fi, I might spend time there, but this is really the only forum I post on.

The satanic themes they sing just for kicks. While they are christians
tongue.gif

I heard the guitarists are Jewish too, though one of them apparently died.

I don't think it's like a marketing department tells him what lyrics to write, though; I think he just does it because he enjoys messing with people and getting under their skin. At least he explained it that way in the interview. But for most serious metalheads, Slayer is pretty tame, entry-level stuff.

May 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #18,898 of 29,663
The satanic themes they sing just for kicks. While they are christians :p

I heard the guitarists are Jewish too, though one of them apparently died.

I don't think it's like a marketing department tells him what lyrics to write, though; I think he just does it because he enjoys messing with people and getting under their skin. At least he explained it that way in the interview. But for most serious metalheads, Slayer is pretty tame, entry-level stuff.
[/quote]

That too could be the case. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back