Lets Talk Metal
May 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #18,871 of 29,663

You should hear all their stuff!

Most people know next to nothing about anime. DBZ is like the gateway drug to anime. lol. There's anime out there that is a hundred times (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating) better. You can see a list of anime I've seen here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MusicAlchemist I have spent somewhere around 1% of my entire life watching anime.

It officially qualifies! http://myanimelist.net/anime/6675/Redline

I'm trying to lessen my time watching things though! haha

Have you seen Redline? Nothing groundbreaking about it as it is just a racing movie. But the art style and animation are just incredible, it's just a fun watch.

May 19, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #18,873 of 29,663

No, but I added it to my neverending plan to watch list.

Well if you're ever in the mood for something fast and stylish, this should be at the top!

https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/album/roads-to-the-north

Was listening to this on a few IEMs today and it just sounded kind of congested and muddy, anyone else get this? I love the music (and Austin's brewery, Hammerheart) but it did not sound good on my Titans or RE-600. I quite like it on speakers or my HE-400s.

May 19, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #18,874 of 29,663
There's a statement that I can safely say I'll never make

Ha-ha-ha-ha!!! That made me laugh bro. I know about as much of quantum physics string theory as I do anime! But, I know it's a thing. Totally out of the loop, here.

May 19, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #18,875 of 29,663
  Ha-ha-ha-ha!!! That made me laugh bro. I know about as much of quantum physics string theory as I do anime! But, I know it's a thing. Totally out of the loop, here.

If you go to YouTube and search for anime gore, you can find lots of fan-made videos with death metal and -- you guessed it! -- clips of anime gore, which is kind of suitable for death metal. But anime is just as diverse as live-action, if not more so. It has all the typical genres, like drama, romance, horror, action, adventure, comedy, etc.

I know it's off-topic, but Tom Yum Goong and I are probably the only frequent posters in this thread who are knowledgeable about anime. Feel free to ask me anything about anime -- or perhaps it would be better via PM to try to keep the thread on topic.

May 19, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #18,876 of 29,663
Whoa, I never implied anything

I just thought your statement was interesting, simply because at no point in my life have I or will I ever say "I'm too busy listening to anime soundtracks"

May 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #18,877 of 29,663

If you go to YouTube and search for anime gore, you can find lots of fan-made videos with death metal and -- you guessed it! -- clips of anime gore, which is kind of suitable for death metal. But anime is just as diverse as live-action, if not more so. It has all the typical genres, like drama, romance, horror, action, adventure, comedy, etc.

I know it's off-topic, but Tom Yum Goong and I are probably the only frequent posters in this thread who are knowledgeable about anime. Feel free to ask me anything about anime -- or perhaps it would be better via PM to try to keep the thread on topic.

I'll have to educate one of these....lifetimes. Right now, I just upgraded my amp to a Clones 55 PM monoblock amplifier that I'm loving and am having way too much listening to music.

May 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #18,878 of 29,663
I'll have to educate one of these....lifetimes. Right now, I just upgraded my amp to a Clones 55 PM monoblock amplifier that I'm loving and am having way too much listening to music.

Those 55 PM monoblocks look cool, just read the 6 Moons review.

Cheers!:stuck_out_tongue:

May 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #18,879 of 29,663
Wow, dude. You just threw me for a loop. You're so knowledgeable with gear.  I was thinking you listened to a lot of digital music plus CDs

You've got such an insane collection I don't know if you could even store it all on one device. Ferday?

So, I'm keeping my  main computer clean and just have the stuff I'm listening on my Ipod saved on a lap top. But, I've got all of my music (and that's just a little over 13,000-piddly little collection :smile_phones: -on a NAS that I stream through Sonos. Or, sometimes listen to my music on my Laptop with HPs.

I've been looking to back up my Synology NAS. Here's something I found on Amazon for $88-it's two TB, but I might be able to get away with 1TB for under $60-and I'd like to be able to store some hi res stuff in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YAHW6I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S

81hJG9IVu0L._SL1500_.jpg

I used to think why bother since I've got everything as a CD, but the thought of re ripping everything would suck. I spent most of a summer doing that. Freaking chore that was.

Also, I know a lot of people say just go digital all the way. But here's something that happened last night. I decide to move my Sonos Connect which basically functions as a music server for my digital music files. I remove the digital cable to move the connect to make a little more room for cables and I see something is wrong with the coax output. It's sunken into the port hole-broken. So, of course, I'm going to send it to Sonos to look at it. In the meantime, I've got my CDs to listen to. If I'd tossed all my CDs I'd be out of business and then really would be streaming everything :eek: . End of story-I like my dinosaur CD's.

Well, there you go CD are the back-up. My brother went and purchased two of those old 100 CD player machines, he ripped all his CDs then put the originals on EBay.

He does not even know the format he ripped his CDs to but just used Windows. I don't try to help him as he does fine on his own for not being technicality adapt.

I did buy him a turntable and a stack of new Slayer and Metallica records, to get him going with vinyl. He has these giant 70s style speakers and a big 1970s style Pioneer amp so he is set. Lol

The hard part for him was to write the titles and song names into the machine with the remote, that takes forever.

May 19, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #18,880 of 29,663
Well if you're ever in the mood for something fast and stylish, this should be at the top!

Was listening to this on a few IEMs today and it just sounded kind of congested and muddy, anyone else get this? I love the music (and Austin's brewery, Hammerheart) but it did not sound good on my Titans or RE-600. I quite like it on speakers or my HE-400s.

I've got a few listens in now and it's pretty good. Not as interesting as Kentucky, but also a more seamless and natural mix of the Americana stuff and much more solid musically

I find it sounds on par with other post-USBM releases of late, it does sound great on speakers but everything is better on speakers :)

I noticed you have the ttpod t1e...mine should arrive in the next day or two. My first iem's in years, I'm just hoping they are fun sounding with decent bass and better than my cheap skull candy buds

May 19, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #18,881 of 29,663
I used to like having CDs for listening to in the car if my iPhone died or just for convenience. Then the CD player just randomly stopped working, my CDs are stuck in it (6 discs) and it's a $600 fix so that's never happening. Hoping I can figure out a way to at least salvage my CDs though. I've since moved to buying cassettes now because that's the only alternative to my iPhone unless you count the radio, which is awful here unless you like Top 40, or terrible indie buzz bands. Our 'metal' station is the biggest joke of a radio station ever. Probably the douchiest thing to ever exist.

The cool part about using CDs is you can get a nice 1990 Sony CD player at the thrift store for $25 or just get a DVD player for $60-$80 and they sound great. I have this really strange listening phobia about computer music. I actually like hearing stuff not being played with a computer. It may be just a mental thing but there are other folks that feel the same.

That is why I always feel people should have a CD player around just for reference to hear how good their streaming/ computer audio rig really is.

May 20, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #18,882 of 29,663

My hobby now is IEMs and how to make them sound better. I'm always finding my sense of hearing changes in relation to using different gear. Still the other thing interesting is price has no bearing on the sound in the $25 to $200 range. Some cheap IEMs sound great but you also have to keep experiments going with different sources and file quality.

The greatest thing people forget sometimes is the source starts at the file. IMO

I have been listening to the electronic band Yello as in 2005 they remastered their music. Talk about digital fireworks!

The next IEMs are the $25 Basic iE800. Yep two driver IEMs for $25. They will not be perfect as nothing really is, but fun. Someday I will step up to real IE800s but they are $800.

May 20, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #18,883 of 29,663
My hobby now is IEMs and how to make them sound better. I'm always finding my sense of hearing changes in relation to using different gear. Still the other thing interesting is price has no bearing on the sound in the $25 to $200 range. Some cheap IEMs sound great but you also have to keep experiments going with different sources and file quality.

The greatest thing people forget sometimes is the source starts at the file. IMO

I have been listening to the electronic band Yello as in 2005 they remastered their music. Talk about digital fireworks!

Interesting. I have to wear ear plugs a lot for work and it's made me hate having anything in my ears, so I don't use iem's. I just ordered a set to try since the size is so convenient...it does seem that in general cheap iem's fare better than cheap full sized headphones.

What's your favorite "metal" IEM moose?

May 20, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #18,884 of 29,663
Interesting. I have to wear ear plugs a lot for work and it's made me hate having anything in my ears, so I don't use iem's. I just ordered a set to try since the size is so convenient...it does seem that in general cheap iem's fare better than cheap full sized headphones.

What's your favorite "metal" IEM moose?

Well, the issue is that all IEMs seem to break, over the years I have had so many starting with some Re0s then some Bose but now some favorite IEMs for metal are the super cheap Jays a-Jays 2 IEMs. You can find them for any price from $30 to $80 bucks. They seem to need burn in even though no one writes about it anywhere. They are also really dependent on source to get sounding their best. Also it is critical to get the tips to fit. No fit on the tips then no bass. I also have a pair of wood IEMs that are dependent on the driver housing not touching the ear, there is an issue of the wood housing resonating correctly?

The JAYS a-Jays are really good at sound-stage and are fast. Bass is clear and very present but tight and not boomy at all. Highs are clear sparkle but not too bright. If you find a pair for $30 just buy them, you will not be disappointed. The are a Swiss company who makes the IEMs in China.

I love the Wolfson (WM-1811) DAC in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0! Again a stupid used phone you can find for $100 that out performs my portable amps or iPod collection?

Money is not an issue or factor at this level?

May 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #18,885 of 29,663
I've got a few listens in now and it's pretty good. Not as interesting as Kentucky, but also a more seamless and natural mix of the Americana stuff and much more solid musically

I find it sounds on par with other post-USBM releases of late, it does sound great on speakers but everything is better on speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed you have the ttpod t1e...mine should arrive in the next day or two. My first iem's in years, I'm just hoping they are fun sounding with decent bass and better than my cheap skull candy buds

The TT1Es don't get a ton of listening but yeah they sure do have a lot of bass. I like the RE-600s so far for metal, more mids and more aggressive than the Titan 1s which are more distant and bass heavy.

I'm getting some HE-400is on Thursday and can't wait to put them through their paces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back