Lets Talk Metal
May 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #18,841 of 29,663
  That's exactly how my parents described metal when I was in high school! When I started driving to school I'd also be bringing my sister and since I drove, I got to pick the music. My sister, being a serious Christian (but thankfully not a bigoted one), would have to listen to Vader's Hellaluyah (God is Dead) every day on the way to school. I was just trying to enlighten her...

I read a Slayer interview about how the vocalist is a dedicated Catholic, yet tries to come up with the most offensive anti-religious lyrics possible. XD

May 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #18,842 of 29,663
I'm so behind with digital storage.

So is 1 TB 100 GB? Or 1000 GB?

I know nothing of this subject. My CDs are what I like as they can never get messed up except for fire.

I only have two drives with 500 GB in storage, even that is my photography hobby.

Wow, dude. You just threw me for a loop. You're so knowledgeable with gear.  I was thinking you listened to a lot of digital music plus CDs

You've got such an insane collection I don't know if you could even store it all on one device. Ferday?

So, I'm keeping my  main computer clean and just have the stuff I'm listening on my Ipod saved on a lap top. But, I've got all of my music (and that's just a little over 13,000-piddly little collection
smile_phones.gif
-on a NAS that I stream through Sonos. Or, sometimes listen to my music on my Laptop with HPs.

I've been looking to back up my Synology NAS. Here's something I found on Amazon for $88-it's two TB, but I might be able to get away with 1TB for under $60-and I'd like to be able to store some hi res stuff in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YAHW6I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S

81hJG9IVu0L._SL1500_.jpg

I used to think why bother since I've got everything as a CD, but the thought of re ripping everything would suck. I spent most of a summer doing that. Freaking chore that was.

Also, I know a lot of people say just go digital all the way. But here's something that happened last night. I decide to move my Sonos Connect which basically functions as a music server for my digital music files. I remove the digital cable to move the connect to make a little more room for cables and I see something is wrong with the coax output. It's sunken into the port hole-broken. So, of course, I'm going to send it to Sonos to look at it. In the meantime, I've got my CDs to listen to. If I'd tossed all my CDs I'd be out of business and then really would be streaming everything
eek.gif
. End of story-I like my dinosaur CD's.

May 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #18,843 of 29,663
I used to like having CDs for listening to in the car if my iPhone died or just for convenience. Then the CD player just randomly stopped working, my CDs are stuck in it (6 discs) and it's a $600 fix so that's never happening. Hoping I can figure out a way to at least salvage my CDs though. I've since moved to buying cassettes now because that's the only alternative to my iPhone unless you count the radio, which is awful here unless you like Top 40, or terrible indie buzz bands. Our 'metal' station is the biggest joke of a radio station ever. Probably the douchiest thing to ever exist.

May 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #18,844 of 29,663
Wow, dude. You just threw me for a loop. You're so knowledgeable with gear.  I was thinking you listened to a lot of digital music plus CDs

You've got such an insane collection I don't know if you could even store it all on one device. Ferday?

My audio collection takes about 10-12Tb, I think Moose has a similar sized collect. Definitely not one device although if you made MP3 copies you could squeeze it all into a single drive. If you choose to go digital, you need at least one full backup also. I run a 16 Tb RAID (mirror) plus another 16 Tb of external backup.

It's not "cheap" but in a small home with a family it's invaluable to have no physical space requirements

I don't advocate going full digital, I'd love to have all the physical copies. Especially for all the stuff I ripped in the 90's when bad MP3 was the best we had, I've had to re-buy a lot of old favorites to get better quality

May 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #18,845 of 29,663

That's exactly how my parents described metal when I was in high school! When I started driving to school I'd also be bringing my sister and since I drove, I got to pick the music. My sister, being a serious Christian (but thankfully not a bigoted one), would have to listen to Vader's Hellaluyah (God is Dead) every day on the way to school. I was just trying to enlighten her...

I read a Slayer interview about how the vocalist is a dedicated Catholic, yet tries to come up with the most offensive anti-religious lyrics possible. XD

Well, that's marketing for the most part.

May 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #18,846 of 29,663
Now this is a pretty wild and unique mix.
Prog Death, Jazz and Mexican/Latin Folk.
Works pretty well (not a big fan of the vocals though)!

May 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #18,847 of 29,663
My audio collection takes about 10-12Tb, I think Moose has a similar sized collect. Definitely not one device although if you made MP3 copies you could squeeze it all into a single drive. If you choose to go digital, you need at least one full backup also. I run a 16 Tb RAID (mirror) plus another 16 Tb of external backup.

It's not "cheap" but in a small home with a family it's invaluable to have no physical space requirements

I don't advocate going full digital, I'd love to have all the physical copies. Especially for all the stuff I ripped in the 90's when bad MP3 was the best we had, I've had to re-buy a lot of old favorites to get better quality

It's all an evolution and a learning curve especially for a humanities/ liberal arts type like me vs. the STEM types that proliferate this scene. At the end of the day, I want (and assume I'm not alone) to be able to listen to some tunes, have it sound really good and not have to think too hard about it.  I'm going to research your 16 Tb RAID (mirror).

You're right about space. My wife and I would love to downsize in maybe ten years or so into a little condo or something, and then I can see being forced to reduce my music footprint in a more serious way.

What a minute! What am I saying? 15 years from now being a retired metalhead. Grumpy, stiff and demonic.  Shoot, I'm always going to need a screaming monster metal room!

May 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #18,848 of 29,663

And really just kind of fake garbage. I know metal lyrics are far from authentic but they should still at least capture a feeling or sentiment you have, even if you're taking it to extreme levels. Except I guess with gore metal and similar genres, where it's so ridiculous you're (almost) positive they aren't serious.

I guess I like my lyrics to just have some sort of authenticity and not wrote only to convey a certain image the marketing department of a label gives you. There's also plenty of authentic lyrics that are absolutely horrid and bigoted and that just helps me in knowing not to support a certain band. But then there's those bands that make great music that you like, like Burzum, (I absolutely love Filosofem and think everything else from him is pretty mediocre or outright musical trash) but it's really a challenge when you learn how big of a giant **** Varg is.

I know this discussion already kind of took place but lyrics and authenticity in metal is such an interesting topic of discussion I feel. 

May 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #18,849 of 29,663

So, I'm keeping my  main computer clean and just have the stuff I'm listening on my Ipod saved on a lap top. But, I've got all of my music (and that's just a little over 13,000-piddly little collection
smile_phones.gif
-on a NAS that I stream through Sonos. Or, sometimes listen to my music on my Laptop with HPs.

I've been looking to back up my Synology NAS. Here's something I found on Amazon for $88-it's two TB, but I might be able to get away with 1TB for under $60-and I'd like to be able to store some hi res stuff in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YAHW6I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S

I used to think why bother since I've got everything as a CD, but the thought of re ripping everything would suck. I spent most of a summer doing that. Freaking chore that was.

Also, I know a lot of people say just go digital all the way. But here's something that happened last night. I decide to move my Sonos Connect which basically functions as a music server for my digital music files. I remove the digital cable to move the connect to make a little more room for cables and I see something is wrong with the coax output. It's sunken into the port hole-broken. So, of course, I'm going to send it to Sonos to look at it. In the meantime, I've got my CDs to listen to. If I'd tossed all my CDs I'd be out of business and then really would be streaming everything
eek.gif
. End of story-I like my dinosaur CD's.

I have a 12 TB external hard drive array with four hard drives in it. It's designed for continuous 24/7/365 operation and has RAID features that enable you to replace one or more faulty drives with no loss of data...but I spent $1,100 on it...

Which drives do you have? I need to research a good backup solution.

Which part is the marketing? lol

May 19, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #18,850 of 29,663
I have a 12 TB external hard drive array with four hard drives in it. It's designed for continuous 24/7/365 operation and has RAID features that enable you to replace one or more faulty drives with no loss of data...but I spent $1,100 on it...

Which drives do you have? I need to research a good backup solution.

A Vantec 8-bay enclosure running WD green drives (like markm1 posted) set in a basic RAID 1. Internally mirrored drives. Have had some issues with the WD drives (have needed to use the RAID recently!) but I'm a believer in running the same drive type so I'm locked in to the WD right now. Externally I run whatever was on sale, mostly 2 and 4 Tb enclosures

May 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #18,854 of 29,663

He is the stephen colbert of thrash metal, haven't picked up on it yet?

May 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #18,855 of 29,663
Never seen an album that is so all over the place DR-wise.
Not Metal, but still...

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2015-05-19 02:02:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Nujabes / Modal Soul
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR4        0.00 dB    -5.12 dB      2:55 01-Feather
DR4        0.00 dB    -5.48 dB      5:08 02-Ordinary Joe
DR10       0.00 dB   -11.86 dB      4:17 03-Reflection Eternal
DR5        0.00 dB    -5.70 dB      5:37 04-Luv (Sic) Pt. 3
DR4        0.00 dB    -5.75 dB      4:20 05-Music Is Mine
DR11       0.00 dB   -12.42 dB      3:34 06-Eclipse
DR5        0.00 dB    -6.96 dB      4:50 07-Sign
DR6        0.00 dB    -6.78 dB      4:09 08-Thank You
DR5        0.00 dB    -5.49 dB      5:41 09-World's End Rhapsody
DR7        0.00 dB    -7.69 dB      4:41 10-Modal Soul
DR3        0.00 dB    -4.74 dB      4:00 11-Flowers
DR6        0.00 dB    -6.42 dB      3:02 12-Sea Of Cloud
DR6        0.00 dB    -6.70 dB      3:55 13-Light On The Land
DR4        0.00 dB    -5.08 dB      7:20 14-Horizon
Number of tracks:  14
Official DR value: DR6
Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bitrate:           320 kbps
Codec:             MP3
================================================================================

Fuggin fantastic album btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back