Lets Talk Metal
May 19, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #18,827 of 29,663
May 19, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #18,830 of 29,663
Thanks for the imput chaps and ill comment more later.I may have made a mistake about the size of my collection.Just to clarify its about 100gb(i thought that was 1tb).
I have looked at a lot of articles on the net about people who have large collections and people who hoard music and never play it.
My daughter seems to use you tube a lot .she only bothers with individual tracks and will play them hundreds of times.she then gets sick and deletes them.She loves the px100 phones .if she wants a specific track for her phone she will just download from i tunes or another site.she has the i phone 4s which has a pretty good sound.she loves music but its all throw away .thats the modern way i suppose.the romance of vinyl or cds has gone.Another topic that i find hard to grasp is why people keep cds and vinyl that they never intend to listen to again and have gone off.why keep it?i suppose i am drawn to not having a lot of physical possessions but thats me.my neighbour has the vinyl version of thick as a brick by tull.he has played it once and its in the loft.whats the point of that.he should sell it.

May 19, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #18,832 of 29,663
  My daughter seems to use you tube a lot .she only bothers with individual tracks and will play them hundreds of times.she then gets sick and deletes them.

I know the type :)
Personally I try to savour tracks like those, if I manege to tire of a single track I'll consider it a bit of a loss. A bit of this can't be helped, as (hopefully) your taste in music develops over time, some stays around, other fall by.
I have around 4000 albums, or roughly 20 weeks worth of music, though it only demands ~500GB of space since I code it all with AAC. To make sure that no album gets neglected I have made a smart playlist collecting everything that has a play count of zero, though it doesn't really seem to be shrinking much…

May 19, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #18,833 of 29,663
A pretty extensive survey here, but these are a few important figures:

I have CDs from the 1980s that are fine. I did have one DVD which failed for no reason, no scratches nothing. We used to talk about how CDs will only last 10 years. Personally I don't care I'm 53 and I think they will last me till I die. But it is an interesting concept as when they first came out they were touted as "Perfect Sound Forever".

I remember when recordable disks first came out, I purchased 100 for $100 and they all were starting to fail after 9 years! So I would guess home made disks are worse.

May 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #18,834 of 29,663
As you can see, there is quite a spread in the "life expectancy" for these kinds of discs. The lower extreme indicates ~25 years and the top has been censored at 2000 years, implying that it's likely to be even higher, both assuming storage at normal room conditions. The average is given as 776 years under the same conditions.
Whether those numbers are good or bad can be debated, but I find the great spread interesting, and how much storage conditions can affect the longevity. If you're afraid you have one of those worst case CD's, by just storing it in the fridge you'll increase the lifespan ten-fold. According to their model at least.

The poorer longevity of DVD stored data is also well documented, as is the even better than CD-DA longevity of certain kinds of CD-Rs.

May 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #18,835 of 29,663
I have looked at a lot of articles on the net about people who have large collections and people who hoard music and never play it.

Another topic that i find hard to grasp is why people keep cds and vinyl that they never intend to listen to again and have gone off.why keep it

I try my best to play it all ha ha. most of my vinyl is dropped although I do have vinyl I'll never open. Now when you order off bandcamp you get the cd/vinyl and a flac...so I'm starting to get more unopened CD's too.

It's hard to grasp for people who arent driven to collect things. I'm not sure where the division between collecting and hoarding is...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collecting

May 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #18,837 of 29,663
  Thanks for the imput chaps and ill comment more later.I may have made a mistake about the size of my collection.Just to clarify its about 100gb(i thought that was 1tb).
My daughter seems to use you tube a lot .she only bothers with individual tracks and will play them hundreds of times.she then gets sick and deletes them.She loves the px100 phones .if she wants a specific track for her phone she will just download from i tunes or another site.she has the i phone 4s which has a pretty good sound.she loves music but its all throw away .thats the modern way i suppose.the romance of vinyl or cds has gone.Another topic that i find hard to grasp is why people keep cds and vinyl that they never intend to listen to again and have gone off.why keep it?i suppose i am drawn to not having a lot of physical possessions but thats me.my neighbour has the vinyl version of thick as a brick by tull.he has played it once and its in the loft.whats the point of that.he should sell it.

I get what your saying and  appreciate your desire towards minimalism. I think in the same terms, but fail miserably.

Maybe the young audiophiles invest big bucks in high end desktop systems and just stream everything.

My daughter-15-doens't have any interest in buying music. She'll listen to Spotify on cell phone  a good bit. She's made a couple of playlists but for the most part one song at a time. She'll use Spotify on our Sonos system in the house whereas I'll listen to my lossless rips and occasionally use Spotify, etc. to listen to music that I intend to purchase or stuff that I haven't bought. It's just a different mentality.

However, I'm encouraged because she's beginning to say that she gets tired of her pop music quickly even told my she liked Led Zeppelin. I nearly passed out
tongue_smile.gif

Of course, I played it cool. But, it's steps forward one step back with a teenage daughter:

I don't like that screaming monster music you play, but  I like Led Zeppelin now, Dad

Me:
 Oh, really. That's cool. They're pretty much my favorite heavy rock band from back in the day. Them and Black Sabbath.

Daughter: 
Who are they? 

Me:
 You've heard of Ozzy, right?

Daughter:
 Ugh! He's so weird.  Hey, some guys at school are seeing a band called Rush. Have you ever heard of them?

Me:

Uh, yeah. They're really old. Even older than your Dad. You should listen to my CD called Moving Pictures. It's pretty good. 

May 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #18,839 of 29,663
That's exactly how my parents described metal when I was in high school! When I started driving to school I'd also be bringing my sister and since I drove, I got to pick the music. My sister, being a serious Christian (but thankfully not a bigoted one), would have to listen to Vader's Hellaluyah (God is Dead) every day on the way to school. I was just trying to enlighten her...

May 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #18,840 of 29,663
  That's exactly how my parents described metal when I was in high school! When I started driving to school I'd also be bringing my sister and since I drove, I got to pick the music. My sister, being a serious Christian (but thankfully not a bigoted one), would have to listen to Vader's Hellaluyah (God is Dead) every day on the way to school. I was just trying to enlighten her...

Proud of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back