Lets Talk Metal
Mar 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #18,136 of 29,663

Beyond. Epic. Not even gonna listen to this until I own the album. Huge respect for that band.

Cool. Just thinking about playing Sham Mirrors before reading your post. Such a unique band. I thought they were done.

Just got some new IEMs and this is my album to demo stuff. Played it twice the day before yesterday, now this news!

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #18,137 of 29,663
Just got some new IEMs and this is my album to demo stuff. Played it twice the day before yesterday, now this news!

I used to play that album in my old Nissan Pathfinder all the time while driving to metal band practice in the middle of the night. It was...a stellar (get it?) experience!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #18,138 of 29,663
Seriously though, why has no one been following what Scott has been doing?

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #18,139 of 29,663
The new Der Weg Einer Freiheit is awesome and you can stream the whole thing here:

https://derwegeinerfreiheit.bandcamp.com/releases

Do it.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #18,141 of 29,663
Hey,

As far as I remember a vinyl is known for getting a better treatment, even in the metal world. Can I asume that a vinyl will always have the better mix (e.g. less compression), compared to the cd?
A friend says that there are also a lot of bad examples.
Particularly I'am interested into Forgotten Tombs album "Springtime Depression" and Primordials "The Gathering Wilderness".
The vinyl version of "Springtime Depression" has been released a few years after the original cd, by a different label. Since the new label also released a remastered cd with the vinyl, should I assume that this is a bad sign? I know that this new cd follows the standard of being compressed.

The loudness-war database has one entry for that Primordial album, the dr values are slightly above average, but the the source is unknown.

Anybody with experience who can tell me what I can expect?

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #18,142 of 29,663
  Hey,

As far as I remember a vinyl is known for getting a better treatment, even in the metal world. Can I asume that a vinyl will always have the better mix (e.g. less compression), compared to the cd?
A friend says that there are also a lot of bad examples.
Particularly I'am interested into Forgotten Tombs album "Springtime Depression" and Primordials "The Gathering Wilderness".
The vinyl version of "Springtime Depression" has been released a few years after the original cd, by a different label. Since the new label also released a remastered cd with the vinyl, should I assume that this is a bad sign? I know that this new cd follows the standard of being compressed.

The loudness-war database has one entry for that Primordial album, the dr values are slightly above average, but the the source is unknown.

Anybody with experience who can tell me what I can expect?

Thanks.

You can expect it to go both ways. There are many more complications to pressing vinyl than there are for CDs, so it's not just the mix/master that matters, but also how the physical product is produced. You usually can't tell in advance unless you have insider info or they advertise the fact that it sounds different. The main appeal of vinyl for me is the collectibility aspects. If it sounds better than the CD, it's just a bonus.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #18,143 of 29,663
Okay, that's not what I wanted to hear. I mean it's not completly positive, haha. So now I know in some ways it will be a pure shot in the blue.
The record player I could use is some old and rather cheap one by technics. The most budget player they ever made actually. Perhaps it is not good enough to deliver the difference a vinyl can make anyway. Even if the amount of compression is fairly low compared to the cd.
But yet is very tempting to get some strictly limited vinyl records of albums I like a lot. Especially if I know that is has a (much) better mix.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #18,144 of 29,663
  Okay, that's not what I wanted to hear. I mean it's not completly positive, haha. So now I know in some ways it will be a pure shot in the blue.
The record player I could use is some old and rather cheap one by technics. The most budget player they ever made actually. Perhaps it is not good enough to deliver the difference a vinyl can make anyway. Even if the amount of compression is fairly low compared to the cd.
But yet is very tempting to get some strictly limited vinyl records of albums I like a lot. Especially if I know that is has a (much) better mix.

You can get a turntable with the ability to rip vinyl to digital. That way, you will have an audibly transparent (sounds the same -- and yes, this has been documented) and immortalized copy that you can play more conveniently. Don't bother ripping to anything higher than 16-bit / 44.1 kHz, as there is no audible benefit.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #18,145 of 29,663
Vinyl can sound better but at times it is exactly the same as the CD or can be sounding really bad and much worse than the CD. So it's better to get recommendations. Buying vinyl of new metal or metal reissues is hit or miss. The label Back on Black has a track record of using bad digital masters still my Back on Black sound better than CD to my ears.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #18,146 of 29,663
http://www.backonblack.com/catalogue.htm

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #18,147 of 29,663

It depends on what you have as a digital source and what your used to. Still my old turntables always sounded better than my CD player to my ears. Just a smoothness to the mids and better bass. In those days I was listening to vinyl that was made when CDs were first coming out so almost all of it has good sound. Not like today when you can find bad vinyl masters and printing issues. Everything was mastered perfect for vinyl. There was no hit or miss, all albums sounded perfect .

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #18,148 of 29,663
Turbonegro is one of my favorite bands of all time. They copy a late 70s punk band called The Radio Birdman and carry over old rock sounds with punk.

Their album Apocalypse Dudes is the greatest rock record I have ever heard in my life litterly 10-10 perfect. So when I could buy the vinyl of Party Animals I was excited. Party Animals is the third and final release of Turbonegro's Apocalypse Trilogy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCvz6-7D7g
The vinyl sounded worse than the CD.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #18,149 of 29,663
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snpUQcSXs3I

This album ruined punk for me because no other punk band could top it.

Turbonegro sounds just like them in a way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxWYXnoGjY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snpUQcSXs3I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back