Lets Talk Metal
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #17,056 of 29,663
LOL.  Most of us metal thread guys are nice enough but a lot of our tastes are on the more extreme end of the scale :veryevil:

i'm not against the lighter stuff though.  one of the better metal-core albums i've heard this year was Avatar - Hail the Apocalypse....i enjoy it for what it is, you may also like it

That was excellent!

Loved the track and funny black and white video too :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #17,057 of 29,663
On the topic of hardcore-ish metal, I recently heard Choidos' latest album and liked it. I'm not normally a fan of the stuff but it was catchy enough to make up for that.

Amaranthe's album this year was disappointing. A couple good songs but for the most part The Nexus was a lot better.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #17,058 of 29,663
Quote:
Good thing you will never get to see Cattle Decapitations lovely video to Forced Gender Reassignment.
Something to calm you down:

Don't take it personal ♥

I guess Job For A Cowboy is/was a kind of like Suicide Silence except a lot better

You might also like Black Dahlia Murder also better

First video has great choreography in artistic black and white! :)

Really liked the other two tracks also :) the last video reminded could have been made for this one below too :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/07-YCv1tLRg[/VIDEO]

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #17,059 of 29,663
It's list time people! Old man crust here. I always tell myself to hold off on purchases to see where the dust settles and then buy a lot of music anyway like a heroin addict. My resolution last year was to be less compulsive and stream more and purchase only essentials. It never works that way. But, I have bought less metal overall concentrating on building a non metal jazz library of all things. But, I will always have a metal heart.  Big props to folks on this list who have given me great suggestions: Ferday, Redcar and Togdor especially

I've been reading the Metalsucks lists and streaming compulsively. Finally have the gear where my streamed audio sounds pretty allright.

I'm a little obsessive compulsive at times, so, I've got an A, B, C, D, E and F lists. I'm listing within lists in no particular order. Out of laziness, I'm not necessarily going to list album names.

A-are the celebrity highlights for me-heavy hitter blogosphere darlings-contender album of the year for me
B-a little less under the radar but could be album of the year.
C-not an album of the year-but a solid album I very much like and expect to listen to for years on end....or bands that are newcomers to me
D- hot topic bands that I haven't heard enough of or still on the fence....maybe just listened to a few songs...
E -guilty pleasures
F-list-non metal

So, here is some what I have purchased thus far in 2014

A-best of the beast: Lord Mantis (damn! this album is a holy grail for me, so much of what I love in sordid metal and still unnerving-not an easy accomplishment in 2014), Trypticon, Opeth ( I don't care if it's not metal-Pale Communion is one of the best listens I've heard all year-it's a reference audiophile CD-today's "classic rock"). This is the trinity this year so far for me that I own. Hands down essential this year for this one listener.

Slightly down on the A list but still awesome-: Trap Them, Mayhem (seems to have lost the initial buzz-I'm a big fan of this release)  Boris (really don't know why I haven't heard much chatter-common people, Noise is a beautiful album)

B under the radar-vying for star billing (could definitely by in my top 10) Teitanblood, Dead Congregation, Morbus Chron, YOB (admittedly, I need to spend more time w/ the new one-I'm a big YOB fan-this one initially just didn't blow me away as much-but definitely good) , Morbus Chron, Vader, Darkest Era

C Solid but not AOY-Earth, Crowbar (could move this one up), Judas Priest (pleasant surprise), Mastodon (I do prefer their earlier stuff-good "rock" record, tho), Pallbearer

D-lists-trend bands that I haven't heard enough of or still on the fence....maybe just listened to a few song...N/A-if I own it, I've heard it

E guilty pleasures-Evergrey (I actually really enjoy their latest-"dark rock"), Epica-gorgeous over the top cinematic symphonic power metal

F non metal-Ben Frost (electronic-there is a metal connection, tho), War on Drugs and Swans ( both rock AOY for me), Saint Vincent (alternative AOY for me), Pat Matheny (jazz fusion)

OK-now in the middle of my streaming new stuff frenzy, here's my list of potential future metal purchases-what I've missed:

A best of the beast- These are all must haves-totally on board with all of these-Primordial, Behemoth, Bloodbath (maybe I haven't heard as much of the so called "Swedish Metal retro trend", but I absolutely love this album) Tombs! F yeah! (because I like the multi genre blackened punkish thing-this is a big surprise for me-AOY potentially)

B a notch down/under the radar/newcomers- Agalloch (after repeated streams-I actually very much like this album-but it isn't as essential as Ashes or Mantle IMO-it is however a beautiful listen), Thantifaxath (I'm pretty sold on this release-always on the lookout for interesting BM) Wovenhand (I think I'm sold on this-not crazy about overt Christiantiy but at first blush-a beautiful almost non metal folk sounding album)

C solid but not AOY- At The Gates, Eyehategod, Godflesh-too much other stuff out there competing for my music dollars-At the Gates tops this list, tho

D-trending bands that I haven't heard enough of or still on the fence....maybe just listened to a few songs, *have not had time to listen  yet- This is probably my most important list-I'm still making my mind on these-still listening: *Coffinworm, *Gridlink, *Thou, *Atriarch, *Coffinworm, Job for a Cowboy (I'm just not a tech death guy, but I will cross over occasionally), Black Crown Initiate (kind of on the fence, potential, I'm warming up to this album, I want to hate it, but I just can't, I actually like this pretty well)

E guilty pleasures  Truckfighters and Wo Fat are stoner, Machine Head (haven't really listened to any of these other than a song or two)

F-list-non metal-Kill Sun Moon, Joe Henry

I'm still marathon listening. As usual, the end of the year makes me feel it's been a better year than I thought over the summer. If you haven't heard the new Swans you should.

Horns up!

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #17,060 of 29,663
Nevermind

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #17,061 of 29,663
I love the diversity of metal. but I have to admit I'm feeling a bit "old".  The Core stuff just wears me out. 

If you folk don't mind, here's something a bit more old-school...

FWIW, this whole album is almost mastered for the HE-400i's

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #17,062 of 29,663
  I love the diversity of metal. but I have to admit I'm feeling a bit "old".  The Core stuff just wears me out. 

If you folk don't mind, here's something a bit more old-school...

FWIW, this whole album is almost mastered for the HE-400i's

Great album, I've said it before-stoner and love of the riff (guitar that is) is what got me back into metal in my late 30's more than ten years ago. I'll still throw on some Kyuss, Nebula, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Spirit Caravan, etc. Have you heard Wo Fat or Truckfighters new stuff....worth a listen. You might also like Wovenhand. A late surprise for me-beautiful hard rock album. I'm listening to it now.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #17,064 of 29,663
Great album, I've said it before-stoner and love of the riff (guitar that is) is what got me back into metal in my late 30's more than ten years ago. I'll still throw on some Kyuss, Nebula, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Spirit Caravan, etc. Have you heard Wo Fat or Truckfighters new stuff....worth a listen. You might also like Wovenhand. A late surprise for me-beautiful hard rock album. I'm listening to it now.

wo fat is too generic and sounds watered down to me. they are the nickleback of the stoner rock scene, very formulaic.

the new Truckfighters was a pleasant surprise. their last couple albums were misses for me after the epic Gravity X.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #17,067 of 29,663
Great song! It's also sublime on my new LCD-2F
wink.gif

Dude!  When did you get them?

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #17,068 of 29,663
Did I ever mention that the new Megaton Leviathan album is damn sweet?

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #17,069 of 29,663
Dude!  When did you get them?

I got them yesterday and let me tell you that they sound amazing! So good that I'm getting rid of my HE-560. (I'm driving them with the LYR + the Telefunken tubes.)

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #17,070 of 29,663
I got them yesterday and let me tell you that they sound amazing! So good that I'm getting rid of my HE-560. (I'm driving them with the LYR + the Telefunken tubes.)

I take it you like darker, but detailed headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back