Lets Talk Metal
Nov 22, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #16,981 of 29,663

^I have this on vinyl.^

Not this....

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #16,982 of 29,663
Fun Fact.

In the latest episode of the TV show Elementary, they play Carcass, Goatwhore and Artificial Brain 
darthsmile.gif

And this is Artificial Brain's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ArtificialBrainMusic

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #16,983 of 29,663

I think it came from many areas but Black Sabbath wrote the song Black Sabbath in 1968 but it did not go to record till 1970.

I agree it was a big movement with so many artists like Atomic Rooster and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Heck in many ways the guitar sound started July 1st 1961 when Dick Dale started at the Rendezvous Ballroom.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dick_Dale_-_Misirlou.ogg

This was 1971...........................

+10000

The history of our beloved music is extremely dense, and open to interpretation and debate.  The only thing I don't like about the history is discussing it: some metal heads are extremely opinionated and dense, and just plain not-fun to discuss things with.  Think extreme comic-book collectors, who can be so obnoxious I gave my collection away a couple years ago because I just could not stomach dealing with it any more.  Hence, my tongue-in-cheek response.

My mind does not agree with 1971, but my heart does, if that makes sense.  Master of Reality really did change things from Sabbath being a curiosity that made a lot of money, to a force that pretty much created the underground scene.  I do consider it the birth of Doom for a lot of reasons.  Paranoid certainly brought the lyrical content, but MOR was fricking HEAVY by any standard, and along with Volume 4 is one of the most-listened to albums I have, and after 48 years I still listen to it on a regular basis.

I think the evolution of metal is personal for most of us, and our perspective is formed from what we listened to at what time, and what branch of the tree caught our attention.  I am of the Blue Cheer/Iron Butterfly/Vanilla Fudge tradition, because that's what I was in to (although I do not consider them 'metal')

Uriah Heep barely gets any love in the history books or articles, but man I swear 'eavy, 'humble is a blueprint for early.progressive metal.

"
I can see that look that sends me where
You try to move in closer if you dare
So I will sit and play my waiting game
And for a while I know she'll do the same
fly away
Watches like an eagle from its tree
Then like a bird of prey she captures me
But I am older and more wise than you
Bird of prey, straight into me, you fool
fly away
Now every time I try to set her free
I'm glad to say she comes right back to me
But if I knew she didn't want to stay
I wouldn't try to keep that lovely bird of prey

And I can't forget "Gypsy" off the same album!

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #16,984 of 29,663
Redcar or Swipers, have you ever considered writing a book? something along the lines of:

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Heavy-Metal-Daniel-Bukszpan/dp/0760742189/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416660481&sr=1-2&keywords=the+encyclopedia+of+heavy+metal

In 2003, I bought this in 2003 when I felt enchanted by the likes of Creed and Lincoln Park I was hearing on the radio. I largely left metal when I was just into my 30's. I flirted with jazz and indie rock-still do-but I've always had a metal heart.

I got married at 29, was in L.A. pursuing an acting career. I was married and had a baby at 34. No one around me listened to metal. Actor types are not headbangers as a rule.

In 2,000 I moved to Maryland to be closer to family and teach. In `03 I felt something missing. In my late 30's, I started buying some CDs of old favorites-classic Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, newer albums by the big 4 and I bought this book. I decided, well if Lemmy is still playing, I can still listen to heavy music. I started with stoner rock and doom and moved way deeper and deeper into the pit.

It was like I woke up and discovered the internet with all kinds of resources. A book like this can change someone's life. Now, a year from 50, I listen to more metal than I did when I was 30. I just don't care anymore. I like this kind of music
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #16,985 of 29,663
  Redcar or Swipers, have you ever considered writing a book? something along the lines of:

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Heavy-Metal-Daniel-Bukszpan/dp/0760742189/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416660481&sr=1-2&keywords=the+encyclopedia+of+heavy+metal

In 2003, I bought this in 2003 when I felt enchanted by the likes of Creed and Lincoln Park I was hearing on the radio. I largely left metal when I was just into my 30's. I flirted with jazz and indie rock-still do-but I've always had a metal heart.

I got married at 29, was in L.A. pursuing an acting career. I was married and had a baby at 34. No one around me listened to metal. Actor types are not headbangers as a rule.

In 2,000 I moved to Maryland to be closer to family and teach. In `03 I felt something missing. In my late 30's, I started buying some CDs of old favorites-classic Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, newer albums by the big 4 and I bought this book. I decided, well if Lemmy is still playing, I can still listen to heavy music. I started with stoner rock and doom and moved way deeper and deeper into the pit.

It was like I woke up and discovered the internet with all kinds of resources. A book like this can change someone's life. Now, a year from 50, I listen to more metal than I did when I was 30. I just don't care anymore. I like this kind of music
evil_smiley.gif

Heck, we should all collaborate on a book: "The Headfiers Guide to Heavy Metal"  We could each write a chapter about the music and our relationship with various speakers/headphones and stuff.  Make a monthly installment like the "Schiit Happened" thread, and then publish it on line.  All of the different perspectives of history and the music, and the gear...

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #16,988 of 29,663

evil_smiley.gif

It is interesting to think about books. Maybe the one point I would get across to people is the changes in metal and where they came from. The fact that Tony Iommi lost those finger tips on his last day of work getting ready to be a full time guitar player. The resulting downtune and plastic tips created the sound of metal.

The fact that Sabbath were listening to Jazz records all the time, which you can hear the most in the drums if you listen. If you listen to Sabbath 1 you can hear the Jazz in the breaks between song changes and even in the guitar voicings. The fact that Metallica was listening to Punk and Discharge records which they incorporated into the first albums.

The fact that Morbid Angel thought they were the greatest Deathmetal band in the world and reinvented themselves in 93 to form the first technical death metal record. So we see some changes have outside influence which we don't know about. The changes have inside influences too.

The changes were somehow a musical influence that was incorporated but became something totally new. The metal community loves this change. But for the sake of experimentation we also have had a lot of bad records. Turbo by Judas Prient to name just one.

We can see that the best new sound was not trying to be commercial but was groundbreaking and ended in commercial gain in the end.

There could never be a complete metal book though. The fact that there is so many peoples ideas. Is the color really purple or blue? It depends on what blue you have seen before and is just a guess in the end. Just like there are so many opinions of the start of wars.

Still I have never read a complete book. Even big publishers can make big mistakes and leave important stuff out. I remember seeing a Rolling Stone Rock history book not list Alice Coopers 1978 "From The Inside". Still there is never going to be a single take on the origin that makes complete sense to everyone.

Never would these guys have thought they would be still playing the same songs 47 years later!

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #16,989 of 29,663

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #16,990 of 29,663
Heck, we should all collaborate on a book: "The Headfiers Guide to Heavy Metal"  We could each write a chapter about the music and our relationship with various speakers/headphones and stuff.  Make a monthly installment like the "Schiit Happened" thread, and then publish it on line.  All of the different perspectives of history and the music, and the gear...

This. Please, do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back